Der Gefangene des Himmels: Roman by Carlos…

Der Gefangene des Himmels: Roman (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Peter Schwaar (Übersetzer)

Member:thewalkingdead
Title:Der Gefangene des Himmels: Roman
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Other authors:Peter Schwaar (Übersetzer)
Info:S. Fischer Verlag (2012), Ausgabe: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe, 416 Seiten
Rating:*****
Tags:Roman

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2012)

English (64)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  French (2)  All languages (87)
I find this series irritating and enchanting and always a good read. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I find this series irritating and enchanting and always a good read. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

An unexpected surprise, I got The Prisoner of Heaven as a very late Birthday present. I started reading immediately and I was not disappointed. I had read some mixed reactions to this book as well as The Angel's Game, but I beg to differ. I really liked them.

Okay, apparently Fermin tragic background story wasn't tragic enough already, but he's such a likeable character. As he said, the maid who could resist his charm is yet to be born. (xD) And yes, the ending really provided an excuse to give us a whole new book but I like reading them, so I don't mind. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
This was a great trilogy, the writing is lush, sad and comical all at once. I finished reading this eating and drinking at at tapas bar by myself, tears streaking down my face. It was the right thing to do! ( )
  MaureenCean | Jan 1, 2015 |
The third installment of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Thoroughly enjoy the writing -- it was (as were the other two) somewhat dark and mostly depressing book. One kept waiting for the next terrible thing to befall one of the characters. ( )
  skraft001 | Nov 29, 2014 |
While the reader should not expect many shocking plot twists, the story is gripping and the pace is just right. Further, the magic of the novel is in the wonderfully constructed creepy and otherworldly setting, the likable characters, and the near-perfect dialogue.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Aug 1, 2012)

Like his countryman Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Zafón combines sincere engagement with genre tradition, with clever touches of the literary postmodern. (The novel's epigraph is by a fictional writer who featured in The Shadow of the Wind.) This is explicitly, and joyously, a book about books, about what can be learned from them (say, how to follow someone in the street), and what is lost when they are lost. Much of the novel's appeal is that of time-travelling tourism, strongly flavoured with literary nostalgia – for a time when a bookshop could be a city's cultural nerve-centre, when a paper-based bureaucracy could be outwitted, when bohemian scribblers could afford to eat world-class crème caramels, and even when money could be "cursed". But beneath the sugared surface there is also political anger.

A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.
added by thebookpile | editElle Magazine (US)

wondrous... ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero.
added by thebookpile | editEntertainment Weekly

Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges...Ruiz Zafón gives us a panoply of alluring and savage personages and stories. His novel eddies in currents of passion, revenge and mysteries whose layers peel away onion-like yet persist in growing back... we are taken on a wild ride that executes its hairpin bends with breathtaking lurches.
added by thebookpile | editNew York Times

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiittula, AnteroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Dat jaar ontwaakten de dagen voor kerst onder een loodkleurige hemel en een laagje rijp.

In 1957 Barcelona, Daniel Semper and his close friend Fermin Romero de Torres find their lives violently disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger who threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921922877, 192207988X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,658,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible