The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Prisoner of Heaven (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Member:ctreader73
Title:The Prisoner of Heaven
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Info:Phoenix (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) (2012), Paperback
Rating:***

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2012)

English (67)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  French (2)  All languages (90)
As usual of his previous book, can't put down it once started. Enjoyed the hidden plots n usual emotional tugs, though story aren't as exciting as Shadow of the wind and Angel's game. ( )
  moonfleur | May 23, 2015 |
No! No, no, no, no, no! I cannot even begin to describe how much disappointment I felt reading the last sentences before the Epilogue. I did not even realize that the story was ending. Don't get me wrong - I adore Carlos Ruiz Zafón, his characters, his stories and the stories behind those stories, but this - I cannot even fathom the reason why nothing happened! The seemingly interesting "sinister character" disappeared in the most incomprehensible and silly way after all the build up; the thing with the husband's suspicion about his wife's whereabouts did not resolve at all except that we found out that she wasn't where he supposed she would be; and what's all that business with Bea's ex-boyfriend, anyway? What was the point in telling us that he worked for the man who supposedly killed Isabella? Plus, the amount of discrepancies in The Prisoner of Heaven is ridiculous!!! David did not know Isabella married, had a child and died until 1945! How come he suddenly knew this while being in prison in 1939?! And how is it that you say a thing like "that moment I knew that my father had begun to die" and not mention it again? Ever. And why did a mysterious cousin show up for three seconds at the very end of the book? Why would you lead on the reader and let him think that something mysterious happened to the man who killed Daniel's mother and then not explain what that was all about? Too much build up & none of actual delivering. The only storyline that made sense to me was Fermin's past. Of course it goes without saying that the author's voice is still a thing to admire - smart language, subtle humor and irony - pleasure to read. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
In deze roman keert Zafon terug naar het verleden van Fermin. Als op een dag een rare klant een heel duur boek koopt in het antiquariaat van de Sempere’s met een duistere boodschap voor Fermin, wordt dat verleden weer heel levendig. En daar zit de kracht van deze roman: uit het individuele verhaal van Fermin komt zo pijnlijk scherp een van de donkerste perioden uit de geschiedenis van de stad naar voren, een periode van intimidatie, foltering en executies, het handelsmerk van het Francoregime na de Burgeroorlog. Geen spielerei deze keer met surreële elementen, maar op de eerste plaats een zeer sterk episch verhaal. En op het einde van de roman zet Zafon mooi de deur open naar een vierde deel.

Lees meer op http://gal-altijdeenboek.blogspot.be/2013/02/de-gevangene-van-de-hemel-carlos-ru... ( )
  chrisgalle | Mar 5, 2015 |
As always a good read. I started this book on Monday and finished it today. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Mar 4, 2015 |
This third volume in the series that began with The Shadow of the Wind features the character Fermin Romero de Torres, revealing to us his horrific past experiences in prison in the 1930s as a figure from that past reappears to haunt him.

I really, really enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind, but remember finding The Angel's Game much less compelling, and somewhat disappointing by contrast. I was hoping this one would take me back to the kind of engrossing read I got from the first one, but, alas, it was not to be. It's readable enough, despite sometimes giving the impression of having been rather inelegantly translated, but it never really engaged me as much as I'd hoped.

Also, while there's a note in the front of the book suggesting that any of these books can be read on their own, I wouldn't believe it if I were you. Taken on its own, this book is fairly frustrating, with none of its main narrative threads coming to any kind of satisfying conclusion. I'm pretty sure that if I were to go back and read The Angel's Game, which I read long enough ago to have forgotten almost all the details of, I'd find the answers to some of this volume's unanswered questions, but I really don't have the motivation to do that.

Rating: 3/5, although if I'd read it immediately after the previous book, or if it hadn't lied to me about standing on its own, I suspect I would have rated it higher. ( )
  bragan | Feb 27, 2015 |
While the reader should not expect many shocking plot twists, the story is gripping and the pace is just right. Further, the magic of the novel is in the wonderfully constructed creepy and otherworldly setting, the likable characters, and the near-perfect dialogue.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Aug 1, 2012)

Like his countryman Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Zafón combines sincere engagement with genre tradition, with clever touches of the literary postmodern. (The novel's epigraph is by a fictional writer who featured in The Shadow of the Wind.) This is explicitly, and joyously, a book about books, about what can be learned from them (say, how to follow someone in the street), and what is lost when they are lost. Much of the novel's appeal is that of time-travelling tourism, strongly flavoured with literary nostalgia – for a time when a bookshop could be a city's cultural nerve-centre, when a paper-based bureaucracy could be outwitted, when bohemian scribblers could afford to eat world-class crème caramels, and even when money could be "cursed". But beneath the sugared surface there is also political anger.

A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.
added by thebookpile | editElle Magazine (US)

wondrous... ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero.
added by thebookpile | editEntertainment Weekly

Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges...Ruiz Zafón gives us a panoply of alluring and savage personages and stories. His novel eddies in currents of passion, revenge and mysteries whose layers peel away onion-like yet persist in growing back... we are taken on a wild ride that executes its hairpin bends with breathtaking lurches.
added by thebookpile | editNew York Times

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiittula, AnteroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Dat jaar ontwaakten de dagen voor kerst onder een loodkleurige hemel en een laagje rijp.

In 1957 Barcelona, Daniel Semper and his close friend Fermin Romero de Torres find their lives violently disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger who threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921922877, 192207988X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,979,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible