Le prisonnier du ciel by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Le prisonnier du ciel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, François Maspero (Traduction)

1,188None6,785 (3.88)57
Member:le_cyclope
Title:Le prisonnier du ciel
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Other authors:François Maspero (Traduction)
Info:Robert Laffont (2012), Broché, 352 pages
Collections:eBooks, Your library, Livres que je possède
Rating:***

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2012)

English (54)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (7)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (76)
Not as compelling as Shadow of the Wind, but following the characters and still we'll worth the read ( )
  auldtwa1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
  auldtwa1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I'm really glad I read this novel shortly after finishing The Angel's Game. I spotted the connections better and it helped put the previous novel into a different perspective. While excellent on its own, this novel is even better when placed in the context of Zafon's other novels about the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. A great novel and I hope to continue to find more written by this author. ( )
1 vote wagner.sarah35 | Feb 23, 2014 |
Spanish Fiction
  formerclarity | Jan 24, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

An unexpected surprise, I got The Prisoner of Heaven as a very late Birthday present. I started reading immediately and I was not disappointed. I had read some mixed reactions to this book as well as The Angel's Game, but I beg to differ. I really liked them.

Okay, apparently Fermin tragic background story wasn't tragic enough already, but he's such a likeable character. As he said, the maid who could resist his charm is yet to be born. (xD) And yes, the ending really provided an excuse to give us a whole new book but I like reading them, so I don't mind. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
While the reader should not expect many shocking plot twists, the story is gripping and the pace is just right. Further, the magic of the novel is in the wonderfully constructed creepy and otherworldly setting, the likable characters, and the near-perfect dialogue.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Aug 1, 2012)

Like his countryman Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Zafón combines sincere engagement with genre tradition, with clever touches of the literary postmodern. (The novel's epigraph is by a fictional writer who featured in The Shadow of the Wind.) This is explicitly, and joyously, a book about books, about what can be learned from them (say, how to follow someone in the street), and what is lost when they are lost. Much of the novel's appeal is that of time-travelling tourism, strongly flavoured with literary nostalgia – for a time when a bookshop could be a city's cultural nerve-centre, when a paper-based bureaucracy could be outwitted, when bohemian scribblers could afford to eat world-class crème caramels, and even when money could be "cursed". But beneath the sugared surface there is also political anger.

A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.
added by thebookpile | editElle Magazine (US)

wondrous... ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero.
added by thebookpile | editEntertainment Weekly

Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges...Ruiz Zafón gives us a panoply of alluring and savage personages and stories. His novel eddies in currents of passion, revenge and mysteries whose layers peel away onion-like yet persist in growing back... we are taken on a wild ride that executes its hairpin bends with breathtaking lurches.
added by thebookpile | editNew York Times

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiittula, AnteroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Cette année-là, à Noël, nous eûmes tous les jours des petits matins de plomb et de givre.

In 1957 Barcelona, Daniel Semper and his close friend Fermin Romero de Torres find their lives violently disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger who threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921922877, 192207988X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible