Le prisonnier du ciel by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Le prisonnier du ciel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, François Maspero (Traduction)

Member:le_cyclope
Title:Le prisonnier du ciel
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Other authors:François Maspero (Traduction)
Info:Robert Laffont (2012), Broché, 352 pages
Collections:eBooks, Your library, Livres que je possède
Rating:***

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2011)

English (88)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All (113)

I want to love it as much as the other two in the series, but I don't. The story is still enjoyable but the thrills and mystery were lacking for me. I can't wait for the fourth installment. ( )
  JBSassypants | May 7, 2017 |
The third in a series of novels set in Barcelona in the last century; this continues the story of characters that appeared in the previous novels. “The prisoner of heaven” concentrates on the life of Fermin Romero de Torres, the assistant in the Sempere bookshop. His happiness is threatened when a mysterious figure from his past appears and threatens to reveal the truth about him which puts Fermin in great jeopardy. As Daniel Sempere and Fermin attempt to find a way to resolve this threat, the truth about Fermin’s life is revealed as is the manner of the death of Isabella, Daniel’s mother.
Perhaps not as compelling as the first two novels, Zafon leaves us with a conclusion that could lead to a fourth novel.
  camharlow2 | Apr 18, 2017 |
The year is 1957. It’s just before Christmas in Barcelona and Daniel and Bea are living with their son above the bookstore Sempere & Sons. The faithful servant Fermín is about to get married. One day an old man visits the bookstore and he wants to buy an old and valuable version of The Count of Monte Cristo. But he doesn’t take the book with him instead he leaves the books with a dedication…

The book continues the story that started in The Shadow of the Wind and also has ties with The Angel's Game which story takes place before The Shadow of the Wind. In many ways it’s a really good story, you get to know what happened to David Martin from The Angel's Game and his connection to the Sempere family. Well, you don’t get all the answers, the ending has a “to be continued” feeling over itself. And since the book had only 300 pages (the Swedish version) and I just think Carlos Ruiz Zafón could have written well at least 100-200 pages more and just given the book a better ending instead of leaving one hanging. Well, it’s a smart move because now one just has to have the next book… when it comes…

The Angel's Game was such a great book that really pulled you inside and this book for all its promises didn’t really reach the same level, it was good and I love the connection to The Count of Monte Cristo (need to re-read the book), loved to know what happened to David Martin, how and where he wrote his book. I just want more…more Daniel Sempere and more David Martin…more about the Cemetery of Forgotten Books... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Christmas in Barcelona in 1957. Daniel Sempere and his friend Fermin Romero de Torres embark upon an adventure that will take them back to the early days of Franco's dictatorship.
A beautifully written book, full of intrigue, terror, passion and joy. THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN is part of a series of books set in the literary universe of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Those who have read SHADOW OF THE WIND and THE ANGEL'S GAME will once more be captivated by Carl Ruiz Zafon's magical world. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
Zafon is a master storyteller with gorgeous prose. Brilliant. My only complaint with Prisoner is I wish it had been longer because I wasn’t ready for the book to end. This is Fermin’s story, one of my favorite characters in the series. It’s more straightforward without the twists and turns in Shadow of the Wind and Angel’s Game, and it certainly whets my appetite for #4. This series is one of the few that I would consider re-reading at some point. They are books to curl up with and lose yourself in the story.

P.S. In considering Shadow of the Wind now that it's a few years out and I've just finished the 3rd book in the series I'm going back and changing my rating to 5 stars. There are few authors who has the story-telling skill and can turn a phrase like Zafon! ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
While the reader should not expect many shocking plot twists, the story is gripping and the pace is just right. Further, the magic of the novel is in the wonderfully constructed creepy and otherworldly setting, the likable characters, and the near-perfect dialogue.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Aug 1, 2012)

Like his countryman Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Zafón combines sincere engagement with genre tradition, with clever touches of the literary postmodern. (The novel's epigraph is by a fictional writer who featured in The Shadow of the Wind.) This is explicitly, and joyously, a book about books, about what can be learned from them (say, how to follow someone in the street), and what is lost when they are lost. Much of the novel's appeal is that of time-travelling tourism, strongly flavoured with literary nostalgia – for a time when a bookshop could be a city's cultural nerve-centre, when a paper-based bureaucracy could be outwitted, when bohemian scribblers could afford to eat world-class crème caramels, and even when money could be "cursed". But beneath the sugared surface there is also political anger.

A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.
added by thebookpile | editElle Magazine (US)

wondrous... ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero.
added by thebookpile | editEntertainment Weekly

Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges...Ruiz Zafón gives us a panoply of alluring and savage personages and stories. His novel eddies in currents of passion, revenge and mysteries whose layers peel away onion-like yet persist in growing back... we are taken on a wild ride that executes its hairpin bends with breathtaking lurches.
added by thebookpile | editNew York Times

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiittula, AnteroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Dat jaar ontwaakten de dagen voor kerst onder een loodkleurige hemel en een laagje rijp.

In 1957 Barcelona, Daniel Semper and his close friend Fermin Romero de Torres find their lives violently disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger who threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921922877, 192207988X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,048,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible