The Prisoner of Heaven: A Novel by Carlos…

The Prisoner of Heaven: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Member:gps24
Title:The Prisoner of Heaven: A Novel
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2011)

English (83)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  English (108)
As my 5-star rating of The Shadow of the Wind shows, I fell seriously head-over-heels in love with that book. The setting, the authorial voice, the characters, the convoluted and sometimes gothic plot--I loved it all.

The Angel's Game was okay, but didn't sing to me like Shadow did--too much gothic convolution, not enough Sempere and Sons.

Now I've finished The Prisoner of Heaven. The sadness and loss are still there. The anger and pain are still there. The longing and love for a Barcelona that will never come again is still there. The unshakable faith in the power of the written word is still there. Twisted plots and literary allusions are still there. Beloved characters leading their lives and finding a small measure of happiness are still there. I completely enjoyed all of these things that were there.

What wasn't there was an ending. Sure, there's a stopping point and even an epilogue, but really that only serves to make the story feel unfinished. There's too much of this particular story left untold. Yes, I know that this means there will be another book, and yes, that makes my cold and black little heart leap for joy. But it also means I'll have to wait, and I'm not very good at that.

Still, it's hard to begrudge time spent in the company of Fermin and the Semperes. The story moves quickly, right up until the point where it stops, leaving the reader desperately turning those blank pages at the end of the book hoping to find the continuation. Will I be reading the next installment? Of course--I'm already jonesing for it. But I really hope we get to an actual ending next time (for this story, not for the characters, who I think I could cheerfully read about from now until doomsday). ( )
1 vote Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the first two books but this one just seems rushed and poorly written. I don't think they really thought this trough. I really hope the author will continue with another story because this one ended, I really hope so (it should have ended after the second book). Blah. ( )
  anukrose | Nov 2, 2016 |
This book is not typical Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I don't know if it's the translation or what, but there was none of the usually beautiful and mesmerizing Zafon magic. It was just a straightforward tell-all involving existing characters. This book tries to explain some of the mysteries from other books, while also seemingly mentioning some old characters just for the heck of it. The plot (if it can be called that) was trite and altogether way too convenient. I was left more confused about "The Angel's Game" after reading this and now I'm not sure what to believe. I wish I could go back and unread this book. ( )
  CosimaS | Jul 3, 2016 |
Excellent as always. Zafon creates (or rather, re-creates) a vivid world of a bygone age, and makes it seem real and three-dimensional. Moreover, this third installment of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series follows closely upon the second, The Angel's Game.

If I have one complaint, though, the Cemetery plays only the most minor of roles. One hopes that this merely sets up a larger role in the subsequent, fourth story.

Although the author suggests that the stories can be read in any order, I disagree, and favor a more chronological sequence (Angel's Game, Shadow of the Wind, Prisoner of Heaven). Otherwise keeping the characters straight becomes a real challenge.

By the way, I was prompted to seek out the short story, Rose of Fire--which explains the creation of the Cemetery. It was originally available as a free download. I could find the Spanish version, but no longer the English, and in the trying did succeed in downloading a massive amount of computer viruses. That'll teach me. I can only hope that the publisher pulled the story because it plans to release it as a print publication, which I would prefer anyway. ( )
  dono421846 | Jun 28, 2016 |
A really good read, the most undemanding installment of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
While the reader should not expect many shocking plot twists, the story is gripping and the pace is just right. Further, the magic of the novel is in the wonderfully constructed creepy and otherworldly setting, the likable characters, and the near-perfect dialogue.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Aug 1, 2012)

Like his countryman Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Zafón combines sincere engagement with genre tradition, with clever touches of the literary postmodern. (The novel's epigraph is by a fictional writer who featured in The Shadow of the Wind.) This is explicitly, and joyously, a book about books, about what can be learned from them (say, how to follow someone in the street), and what is lost when they are lost. Much of the novel's appeal is that of time-travelling tourism, strongly flavoured with literary nostalgia – for a time when a bookshop could be a city's cultural nerve-centre, when a paper-based bureaucracy could be outwitted, when bohemian scribblers could afford to eat world-class crème caramels, and even when money could be "cursed". But beneath the sugared surface there is also political anger.

A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.
added by thebookpile | editElle Magazine (US)

wondrous... ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero.
added by thebookpile | editEntertainment Weekly

Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges...Ruiz Zafón gives us a panoply of alluring and savage personages and stories. His novel eddies in currents of passion, revenge and mysteries whose layers peel away onion-like yet persist in growing back... we are taken on a wild ride that executes its hairpin bends with breathtaking lurches.
added by thebookpile | editNew York Times

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiittula, AnteroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Quell'anno, prima di Natale, ci toccarono soltanto giorni plumbei e ammantati di brina.

In 1957 Barcelona, Daniel Semper and his close friend Fermin Romero de Torres find their lives violently disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger who threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921922877, 192207988X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,739,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible