Step Ahead of Autism: What You Can Do to…

Step Ahead of Autism: What You Can Do to Ensure the Best Possible Outcome…

by Anne Moore Burnett

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This handbook for the parent of an autistic child, tells and shows what to do to ensure the best possible outcome for his or her child. The preface introduces how the author became interested in the topic: her son was diagnosed with autism at age two and grew into a successful college student. She is the founder of Alleviate Autism (www.alleviateautism.com). The author introduces each chapter by sharing her own experiences, then offers advice and insight from a medical professional (nurse, doctor, psychiatrist, etc.), followed by tips, and at last exercises for the reader to complete. The chapter topics are: 1. Trust; 2. Observe; 3. Accept; 4. Adapt; 5. Ascertain; 6. Advocate; 7. Assess Your Attitude; 8. Assert Your Authority; 9. Delegate, 10. Aspire; 11. Putting the Steps into Practice; 12. Defining (And Redefining) Success; and, 13. Your Next Steps. An inspiring and heartfelt addition is Joey Burnett’s Valedictorian Speech at his 2008 high school commencement. The book includes chapter notes, resources and a brief index. ( )
  brickhorse | Apr 2, 2014 |
I received this book from Early Reviewers,

As a mom with a child on the spectrum and someone who works closely with the Autism community, I found little that was new or insightful in this book. That being said, I am sure that newly diagnosed families or those struggling to overcome a set-back would find the information to be helpful and motivating. Unfortunately, those in need of such advice rarely have the time or energy to get through a book like this. They need it broken down in a simpler form in order to find exactly what they are looking for in their limited time. This book will definitely go in our lending library, but I will likely flag different areas of it where I can direct those who are looking for specific areas of support. ( )
  signrock | Jul 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is part memoir, part self-help. While I felt it had helpful content, I think it would have been stronger as one thing or the other. There isn't quite enough practical guidance for the book to make my short list of autism reference material, but the author does supply good basic, thoughtful information, and her own family's story is very compelling. ( )
  JaneHuber | Jun 13, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved the story of Joey and their journey through autism. The changes and improvements were especially interesting.

The exercises at the end of each chapter were innovative; I did not find them useful but I can see they could be useful in other contexts. ( )
  varroa | Apr 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a mother of an autistic child, I loved this book. It was filled with helpful tips and information. I also loved at the end of the chapter, there was spaces that you could fill in as to how it pertained to your child. A must have for any parent with a child on the autism spectrum. Also, this book is a must read even if you don't have an autistic child. It will give you a lot of easy to read and helpful information. Will be buying more books by this author ( )
  momofzandc2003 | Mar 8, 2012 |

If you have or think you may have a child with autism, you may be overwhelmed with fear, confusion, doubt, regret, self-blame, and more. Author Anne Moore Burnett has been there and can assure you that there is hope. In Step Ahead of Autism, she supplies you with a host of simple yet powerful tools you can use to meet the inevitable challenges of raising an autistic child at any age.
In Step Ahead of Autism, Burnett uses the true story of her son Joey, who was diagnosed with severe autism at age two and went on to become a successful college student, to empower caregivers everywhere. Readers of Step Ahead of Autism will learn how to transform themselves – their intentions, beliefs, attitudes, and reactions – so that they have more influence over how their child does than they ever imagined possible.
Step Ahead of Autism is the first book on autism to offer
• step-by-step, attainable, parent-tested exercises, techniques, and tips;
• important attributes every parent can develop and nurture in themselves;
• the knowledge and confidence necessary to meet the challenges of raising an autistic child;
• a strong argument for making early diagnosis and intervention the primary goals of every parent, pediatrician, educator, and caregiver.

In Step ahed of autism, Burnett supplies you with a host of simple yet powerful tools you can use to meet the inevitable challenges of raising an autistic child at any age.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Moore Burnett's book Step Ahead of Autism: What You Can Do to Ensure the Best Possible Outcome for Your Child was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible