The Z Word: Apocalypse Babes by Bella Street

The Z Word: Apocalypse Babes

by Bella Street

Three and a half stars.

You can read my review here: http://abshepherdsreinventedreader.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/z-word-apocalypse-bab... ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
This is a story about four friends, Seffy, Addy, Lani and Gareth, who are in some kind of explosion that sends them back in time from 2006 to 1980 and from California to Montana. They wake up in a strange place with a pink sky and zombies. After finding each other in the debris they try to survive this strange experience.

Ok, this was a quirky concept that just couldn’t be pulled off. The main character, Seffy, got on my last nerve until I was really hoping she’d be a zombie entrée. Seffie’s ‘friend’ Addy was such a bitch to her I couldn’t understand why she called her a friend instead of kicking her to the curb. Lani was a flake and I just couldn’t get a bead on Gareth. The most interesting character in the book for me was Trent.

There were mysteries and secrets galore and by the time of the abrupt cliffhanger ending we had learned nothing about any of the secrets or mysteries. In fact, more mystery was piled on top of the existing ones. Many references were made as to the fact they had left Montana for some reason to move to California and they were to never talk about it again, but no explanation is given as to WHY. Not one single itty bitty nugget of info is revealed. I was forcefully reminded of Scrooge McDuck during this story as Ms Street hung onto her secrets like he hung onto money. I can understand the need for suspense and stringing us readers along, but I was so frustrated by not learning ANYTHING that I’m not interested in continuing the series. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Feb 20, 2013 |
First I would like to thank the author, Bella Street, for giving me the opportunity to read and review her book. I truly enjoyed it!

This book is seriously wicked awesome! I'm a huge zombie fan, so when I read the description for The Z Word I knew I had to read it. I mean, it's about a group of friends from the year 2006 being transported to the year 1980 and encountering zombies--how can you not want to read this?! How can you not like zombies, or the 80s?! Just saying! I will admit that I was a bit stunned when I started this book because nothing was as I thought it would be, but that just made the experience all the more enjoyable. The story always kept me guessing and continued to pick up and intensify throughout. The plot confused, entertained and intrigued me all at once! Bella Street has truly won me over with her magnificent imagination and story-telling abilities.

Seffy Carter and her friends are just going about their business one day in California when all of a sudden something strange happens and they are transported to Montana, and the year is 1980. If that wasn't confusing enough, they are attacked by zombies wearing disco clothes. Now, I know this information may sound silly, but trust me when I say that it's just plain fantastic! These zombies are a combination of frightening, deadly, grotesque, silly and surprising. There was a particular part in the book when I was completely caught off guard by the alarming and hilarious bit of information that was collected about the zombies involving disco music. One minute I was on the edge of my seat, fearing for the well-being of the characters during their fight sequence, and the next minute I was laughing hysterically!

Zombies aside, the characters are pretty interesting all on their own. At first I wasn't sure how to take Seffy because she initially comes off as a little artificial. She's an aspiring actress and she's changed several things about herself to fit the molds of what she thinks others want her to be. But throughout the story her layers are slightly peeled back to reveal a girl who doesn't even know what she wants, and it seems that she was just trying to be a "better" version of herself, instead of just being genuine. I think her insecurities made her more likable and relatable. Although her friends and her group as a whole go through some stressful times, Seffy experiences the worst of it. Her flaws and all that she goes through just make me like her more. Plus, there's obviously more to her background and childhood than the reader is let in on, so I'm very curious to find out more.

Seffy's longtime friends, as well as some other strangers, are there with her in this perplexing situation, and they are quite an eclectic group. Gareth is pretty awesome, and the connection between him and Seffy is a bit confusing but also entertaining and sweet. Lani won me over instantly with her free-spirited/hippie and somewhat ditzy personality; whereas I have a love/hate relationship with Addison--the bitchy redhead. The other group of twenty-somethings they meet up with in the desert are a little iffy, and I'm still trying to make sense of Trent, who acts like a jerk one second and then a decent guy in the next. But overall there's something I like about him, so I'm excited to see what happens between him and Seffy. Also, as a side note, I totally dig Malone! He started off assuming the role of protector and he sort of reminded me of an apocalyptic tour guide at times. He's kind of a creeper and a hardass that may or may not be trustworthy, but he's amusing. I want to see more of him!

The end of this book had me gasping out loud, and I'm eager to start the second book in this series. There's obviously more to learn about the Compound that Seffy and her friends have been brought to; and this goes for the scientists and other characters within the Compound as well. Plus, I'm dying to know how the heck time-travel fits into all of this! All I know is that I'm sure the rest of this series will continue to blow me away. ( )
  ShanonS | Apr 3, 2012 |
Full review posted at Reader's Edyn. For excerpts and dialogue highlights, please visit:

Review:

***SPOILERS*** So I downloaded this book while it was free on Amazon because Z stand for Zombie. I have many friends into zombies and the apocalypse and so forth. Initially I wasn’t really into the whole zombie/end of the world thing. I never really got it. I probably still don’t really get most of it. But then I got into shows like The Walking Dead and started reading zombie and/or apocalypse stories and I was hooked. I mean who wouldn’t want to read about the nasty undead with necrosis and slime and bleck-type stuff all over them that eat people and walk around as if in a trance? Right? And that is just the beginning! But I do not know how to classify this book in genre. It’s like YA certainly tame enough for it), sci-fi (yeah – the zombies), romance (sort of but not really), fantasy ( kind of because the girls live in their own fantasy of what life is all about prior to the – err, end of the world), contemporary (despite the 70s/80s references) – basically it is a clusterpluck of a whole lotta genres with nothing specific.

So ……. I read The Z Word to try and experience more of life after the end. At first I was completely lost. Seffy wants Gareth and Gareth has Verity and Verity and Seffy hate each other but fake like they’re friends on the outside and then BOOM! The world is like, gone, I guess. Seffy remains, Gareth remains, Verity is no where to be found, and a couple others end up joining up with them that they know. They spend the night in an old abandoned car and wake up to a zombie intent on killing them. But things are not adding up. First, they have no idea where they ended up after the end of the world. They don’t even know it is the end of the world. Then there is the obvious – there are zombies, HELLO! And these are not your normal Zombies. They are all dressed from the seventies; paisley shirts, bell bottoms, platform shoes, etc. And somewhere along the way they discover that these flesh eaters love to dance to music that matches their era of dress. And in fact, it is the only way to side track the undead.

Eventually they meet up with this other group of kids who, in some odd way, kind of resemble their group. Seffy ends up getting it on with this guy from the group who reminds her of Gareth. Turns out he’s been infected by the zombies and through his contact with Seffy, he infects her too. Then everyone wants to kill Seffy, afraid she will turn into a zombie and infect them all. But Seffy apparently has some sort of awesomesauce immunity to the zombie virus because she doesn’t turn. And during this time, some whackado named Malone has given them shelter, food, and information about the surrounding area – kind of. It’s information, but it’s not information. You know? So dude dies, Seffy doesn’t, and both groups travel with Malone to another supposed safe house. But it is not what is seems and they all end up with another guy named Popov. He takes them to a compound which is also not as it seems.

And in the midst of all of this is the Gareth/Seffy romance/non-romance thing going on. I really have no idea what the heck the dealis with them. Seffy wants him, but knows he is with Verity – or was. Gareth says he cares for Verity and that he cares about Seffy, but not the same way. Then he goes all jealous-mode when she hooks up with the infected guy. It is just a jumble of craziness. Oh! And despite Gareth’s “guy you’d love to be seen with” exterior, dud is one heck of a sci-fi buff.

I am still not entirely sure the purpose of some of the characters in the story. Though the series is called Apocalypse Babes, so perhaps they will play a role later on down the road. They are all pretty much self-centered, shallow brats that think the outerwear and lifestyle (or façade) make the person. And at odd times each demonstrates a moment of intelligence. Mind you I said moment. And that could well be stretching it. The craziest of it all was when the book ended, which is a craptastic cliffhanger, I wanted to read the next book. I have no idea why. I just need to know what happens next. What does that even mean? Am I losing my mind? Or is Ms. Street more brilliant than I originally gave her credit? I really don’t know at this point. My only next option is to read book 2 and see what I think after that one. Everything must have been set up the way it was for a reason – perhaps the answers I seek will be addressed in the next installment. So I am on the fence. I think I might be hooked in a sadistic kind of way, but I kind of hated the lack of information provided and the city girl trendy attitudes. UGH! I am going with a rating of 2 for now because my feelings are as much of a jumble of craziness as this book was.

(Digital book purchased for personal library) ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Jan 21, 2012 |

The Z Word, follows Seffy Carter and
her longtime friends Gareth, Addison and Lani. The four besties share a past dysfunctional and dark enough to keep them bound together under do-over identities. But rends develop in their relationships from the flesh-eating
pressures of ending up in 1980, in a Montana desert, surrounded by
zombies wearing dated disco duds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible