The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for…

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (2003)

by Dave Ramsey

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki (fulner)
    fulner: I really feel like Ramsey and Kiyosaki's works compliment each other. Kiyosaki's is actually more challenging and has more intellectual reasons of HOW and WHY things work, while Ramsey is more nuts and bolts "do this or you are screwed" and works on them heart strings. Get both, and stay out of debt.… (more)
    Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family by Dave Ramsey (fulner)
    fulner: The Total Money Makeover is a good read, but the support of Finical Peace University and the entire Finical Peace Plan really make the baby steps doable and achievable.
    Fun Is Good: How To Create Joy & Passion in Your Workplace & Career by Mike Veeck (fulner)
    fulner: Once you start your "Total Money Makeover" it can be difficult to keep going. Finical peace is a necessity, but its not lasting if you aren't having Fun. I highly recommend "Fun is Good" be added to your library.

Very solid, practical advice on how to steer your financial ship. ( )
  tgraettinger | Sep 2, 2018 |
Só tenho pena que a parte do investimento não se adeque à realidade portuguesa, mas tudo o resto pode ser feito. ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
Sound, solid advice for those who struggle with debt and "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Perhaps not as advanced or comprehensive as some other financial planning and wealth building books but a great introduction to how to get started with getting your money under control. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
Don't do debt. Debts are bad. M'kay? ( )
  graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |
My church just offered David Ramsey’s Financial Peace University course (for the second time). My work schedule didn’t allow me to participate, but I have been curious about what insights Ramsey has and why people have found his materials so helpful. Church friends and family members have suggested my wife and I take his course (because of our mountain of student loans). So I was excited to review Ramsey’s The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition.

Ramsey offers a plan for becoming debt-free, financially secure. This enables you to use your financial resources for the kingdom. His ‘total money makeover’ counters several myths about debts and making money and suggests ’baby steps’ to bring your finances into order. These baby steps include:

creating an $1000 emergency fund
making a dept-snowball by paying off your debts lowest to highest.
finishing your emergency fund (increasing it from $1000-$25,000)
maximizing retirement investment
putting aside money for the kid’s college fund
paying off the mortgage
building wealth like crazy!
Each of these steps are filled out by Ramsey’s practical insights. He is someone who has made a lot of money, and spent beyond his means and has learned to be a better steward of his resources as a resuilt. Sometimes his approach dovetails with popular approaches to financial planning. For example, he says what just about every smart money guy says about saving for retirement (do it, especially while you are young). In other places, Ramsey’s views stand in opposition to the prevailing wisdom: He does not advocate buying on credit at all, borrowing or going in to debt for any reason, he does not not believe it is good to have a mortgage for tax breaks or to keep low interest student debt, He does not advocate using credit (at all). Yet his approach has helped thousands overcome bad habits, grow wealth, and become financially secure. The book is full of testimonials of families that Ramsey has helped get out of debt..

I appreciate Ramsey’s approach, especially because I feel financially strapped with major student debt. Ramsey gives practical, actionable steps which I am making plans to implement more fully in my life. I give this book four stars and recommend to anyone struggling with their finances (or who wish to manage their money better). This book has inspired me to be more mindful about spending, saving and budgeting.

Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing me with a copy of this book through Book Sneeze. I was not asked to write a favorable review, just an honest one. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
The bedrock of his system is simple: work hard, pay what you owe and stay out of debt. His main commandment is "Pay cash." He first exhorts the reader to take "baby steps," which are designed to build on each other: first, save $1,000 as an emergency fund; then, pay off all debts from smallest to largest; save a larger three-to-six-month emergency fund; finally, start to save for college and pay off your home mortgage. Ramsey understands the difficulty in putting these steps into action, and therefore packs his book with personal testimonials from everyday people who have used his system and have become debt free, with obvious struggles.

"As lost as a ball in tall weeds!" That is exactly how I felt.

The success stories speak for themselves in this book from money maestro Dave Ramsey. Instead of promising the normal dose of quick fixes, Ramsey offers a bold, no-nonsense approach to money matters, providing not only the how-to but also a grounded and uplifting hope for getting out of debt and achieving total financial health.

Ramsey debunks the many myths of money (exposing the dangers of cash advance, rent-to-own, debt consolidation) and attacks the illusions and downright deceptions of the American dream, which encourages nothing but overspending and massive amounts of debt. "Don't even consider keeping up with the Joneses," Ramsey declares in his typically candid style. "They're broke!"

The Total Money Makeover isn't theory. It works every single time. It works because it is simple. It works because it gets to the heart of the money problems: you.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

A strategy for changing attitudes about personal finances covers such topics as getting out of debt, the dangers of cash advances, and keeping spending within income limits.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible