The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for…

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (2003)

by Dave Ramsey

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki (fulner)
    fulner: I really feel like Ramsey and Kiyosaki's works compliment each other. Kiyosaki's is actually more challenging and has more intellectual reasons of HOW and WHY things work, while Ramsey is more nuts and bolts "do this or you are screwed" and works on them heart strings. Get both, and stay out of debt.… (more)
    Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family by Dave Ramsey (fulner)
    fulner: The Total Money Makeover is a good read, but the support of Finical Peace University and the entire Finical Peace Plan really make the baby steps doable and achievable.
    Fun Is Good: How To Create Joy & Passion in Your Workplace & Career by Mike Veeck (fulner)
    fulner: Once you start your "Total Money Makeover" it can be difficult to keep going. Finical peace is a necessity, but its not lasting if you aren't having Fun. I highly recommend "Fun is Good" be added to your library.

Jean Tanner recommended this book to me, and I'm glad she did. TMM is crucial, helpful, courteous, and kind. The wife and I are putting its money-management principles into practice. Wish us luck. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
If you can tolerate the hyped-up, over-excited style, this book can offer good advice. I plan to review two things, for example: my emergency fund and the potential tax savings for long-term investments. ( )
  valdanylchuk | Aug 26, 2015 |
Wow! This has actually changed my life more than anything... I'm finally in control of my finances, TOTALLY. No more worries. I've been on the plan and taking care of things for 2 years now, and I can't imagine ever going back to financial chaos. I'm choosing financial independence!

Recommended to anyone who....has money, uses money, or needs money. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
it seems like forever since i've read anything let alone for the joy of reading. not that this qualifies as "joy of reading" material.
a good book, straight-forward, unpretentious and inspiring.

i'm hooked, my husband and i are on dave's plan and will hopefully be debt-free soon.
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
Wonderful book..
Book filled with Principles of good old methods and a very very Strong Commonsense
Absolutely loved and enjoyed thoroughly reading the book..

Have to apply ..

After reading the book ....and a little bit of just analyzing what i had learnt ....did come one of my Eureka Moments...
I think the personal finance system can be classified as follows

Step - 1: Dave Ramsey's Principles --- SAVE
Step - 2: Ramit Sethi --- AUTOMATE / ACCUMULATE
Step - 3 : Robert Kiyosaki --- INVEST

WOW.....Its Amazing...
Planning for the second read ...
  Dr.N | Aug 4, 2014 |
The bedrock of his system is simple: work hard, pay what you owe and stay out of debt. His main commandment is "Pay cash." He first exhorts the reader to take "baby steps," which are designed to build on each other: first, save $1,000 as an emergency fund; then, pay off all debts from smallest to largest; save a larger three-to-six-month emergency fund; finally, start to save for college and pay off your home mortgage. Ramsey understands the difficulty in putting these steps into action, and therefore packs his book with personal testimonials from everyday people who have used his system and have become debt free, with obvious struggles.

"As lost as a ball in tall weeds!" That is exactly how I felt.

The success stories speak for themselves in this book from money maestro Dave Ramsey. Instead of promising the normal dose of quick fixes, Ramsey offers a bold, no-nonsense approach to money matters, providing not only the how-to but also a grounded and uplifting hope for getting out of debt and achieving total financial health.

Ramsey debunks the many myths of money (exposing the dangers of cash advance, rent-to-own, debt consolidation) and attacks the illusions and downright deceptions of the American dream, which encourages nothing but overspending and massive amounts of debt. "Don't even consider keeping up with the Joneses," Ramsey declares in his typically candid style. "They're broke!"

The Total Money Makeover isn't theory. It works every single time. It works because it is simple. It works because it gets to the heart of the money problems: you.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

A strategy for changing attitudes about personal finances covers such topics as getting out of debt, the dangers of cash advances, and keeping spending within income limits.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,882,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible