Mr. Kill by Martin Limón

Sophisticated, it ain't. Nothing subtle in these pages. (You probably guessed that from the title.) In fact, nothing much past high school writing class.
A hup-two-three-four army mystery with little brain involved. Instead, you get macho, rock-em, sock-em style of detecting. Stuff I couldn't have gotten away with in my Army days: clonk an officer, assault a Green Beret commander, forget your orders.

You do get a little sex, some Texas USO singers, barley tea, and a couple of Chinese characters.

Limón does know US Army-Korea relations. That makes the slog worthwhile. Almost.
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
In the Republic of Korea (aka South Korea) in 1974 the US Army is a strong presence. When a young woman is brutally raped on a passenger train by someone she identifies only as a ‘big-nose’ (i.e. a foreigner) the local community’s attitude towards the Americans in their midst sours rapidly. Given that almost all the foreigners in the country are G.I.s Army criminal investigators George Sueño and Ernie Bascom want to find the rapist. However, in the absence of absolute proof the Army hierarchy refuses to acknowledge the culprit is one of theirs and assigns the pair to other duties too, including providing security for a group of female country and western singers who are touring the military bases to entertain the troops.

There was a lot to like about this book, perhaps most notably its vivid depiction of a particular time and place. Martin Limón had a long career in the US Military, a good portion of which was spent in Korea, and his perspective, somewhere on a scale between those that might be provided by a native and a tourist, serves the story well. He clearly knows both Korea and the military intimately and his depictions of both cultures are sensitive but not overly sentimental. I especially liked that the strengths and weaknesses of both are shown and there is an almost complete lack of the kind of sycophancy that could easily have existed in this tale. I won’t pretend I know enough about Korea or the military to be able to determine if these depictions are accurate, but they certainly felt very realistic to me and I was quickly and completely transported to the setting.

The story too is quite captivating, providing ample opportunities for the complexity of Koran-American relations to be explored. The investigation appears at the outset to require a relatively simple elimination of a small pool of suspects until there is a single one remaining. Even though the rapist may have already escaped the train at an earlier stop by the time Korean police and the Army investigators board in Seoul there are ticketing and travelling restrictions that should mean the suspect pool is small. However, eliminating particular individuals from the list of suspects does hamper, indeed derail, the investigation at several points even though Sueño and Bascom happily combine forces with a highly respected Korean homicide detective (whose name provides the title of the novel). These delays and the addition of further brutal crimes by the same suspect build a tension that really doesn’t let up until the final pages of the novel.

I have been known to claim that I don’t need to like a fictional character in order to like the book in which they appear but I do need to believe that such a person might exist. And while I can think of many instances where this has proven true (i.e. I’ve enjoyed a book despite its unlikeable but credible characters) MR. KILL nearly became the exception that proved the rule. I found one half of the crime-fighting duo here, Ernie Bascom, so utterly repugnant that I struggled to read the passages in which he appears. He is not particularly stupid (though he goes out of his way to appear so) but is driven solely by his base needs (hitting, screwing and drinking alcohol). He carries brass knuckles wherever he goes and uses them, or his bare fists, without even a hint of provocation (heaven forbid someone should stare at this thug for too long), sees women as nothing more than potential (or actual) sex partners and any 20 minute-long window of free time in his day is good for nothing other than getting drunk. I’ll accept that he is realistic (though happily I don’t know any men who are so shallow and thuggish) and so theoretically I should have been able to enjoy the book despite his presence but it was, excuse the language, bloody difficult at times. Ernie’s partner and the duo’s lead investigator George Sueño is a far more engaging, nuanced character with an inner life of some interest who is one of the few American soldiers who has taken the trouble to learn the local language. However I think I would have enjoyed him a lot more if I could have stopped myself from wondering why he didn’t push his testosterone-fuelled moron of a partner under the speeding blue train so we could all be rid of him.

So, brutish tough-guy moron aside, I did enjoy MR KILL for its enveloping depiction of an unfamiliar exotic setting, its intelligent treatment of sensitive cultural issues and its complex but satisfying storyline. There are six earlier novels and one subsequent tale in the series (so far) and I am very tempted to read more, though I’ll need a long break from the insufferable Ernie first.
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
I selected this book, even though I hadn't read anything in the Sergeants Sueno and Bascom series, because I was interested in learning more about Korea through a novel. The book certainly served that purpose since Sueno is an American soldier who wants to learn Korean culture. He also speaks the language. Bascom is sort of a lout who flaunts custom as much as possible.

The mystery is less successful, but interesting in the way that they must cooperate with the Korean police and military to determine who is responsible for rapes and murders on the Blue Train. The victims are Korean women traveling with children.

Also figuring in the story is an all-woman country band from Texas who feel they are being stalked and robbed. Sueno and Bascom are assigned to protect them as well as solving the Blue Train crimes.

I really couldn't get into this story. The characters, with the exception of Sueno and Bascom, were indistinct to me. The band seemed like a group of hysterical women and I felt no connection to them at all.

However, I'm glad I read it because of the picture I got of the scenery in South Korea as well as the way people near the U.S. military bases survive. I might even try another book in this series to see if I just chose the wrong one to start with. ( )
1 vote bjmitch | Feb 15, 2012 |
Reviewed at Reviewing the Evidence. A good mystery set in South Korea during the 1970s in which two military investigators try to find a vicious rapist who is likely to be a GI. The setting is intriguing and well done.
  bfister | Feb 5, 2012 |
Korea, crime ( )
  janebr | Jan 1, 2012 |

On a crowded train from Pusan to Seoul, the brutal rape of a young mother sparks rage on the powder-keg peninsula of Korea, pitting Koreans against Americans and the 8th Army brass against the truth. Eyewitness accounts indicate the culprit was most likely a U.S. serviceman, but by the time Sergeants George Sueno and Ernie Bascom, U.S. Army investigators, are called in, the rapist has disappeared and anti-American fervor in this proud Asian country is threatening to explode. George and Ernie search in vain for the culprit, all the while becoming entangled in the web of military apologists who deny that any Americans were involved, and the designs of a beautiful blonde musician who fronts an all-female country western band. Delay causes more tragedy--and this time murder--and sets off a frantic search for a killer that stretches from the sizzling hot Demilitarized Zone to the cold waters of the Yellow Sea and introduces George Sueno and Ernie Bascom to a ruthless Korean homicide investigator known to anyone foolish enough to cross him as Mr. Kill.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,402,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible