The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey

The Chemistry of Tears (2012)

by Peter Carey

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All (22)
A birthday present. Premise looked interesting but I was disappointed that the treatment of the protagonist's grief at her partner's death was handled in such an intellectual way. Afraid Peter Carey is not my cup of tea. ( )
  Elizabeth_Foster | Nov 3, 2017 |
This is an engaging story within a story. One of love, grief, memory, and obsession that is centered around a beautiful mechanized automaton from the 19th century. Beautifully narrated. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Oct 5, 2016 |
Interesting and compelling but sometimes too strange. That is, the historical flashbacks to the isolated German village of clockmakers contained all kinds of weird esoteric statements (by Sumper)that defied my understanding -- kind of historical science fiction. I would definitely read one of his books again, but being careful that the theme was not too out there. ( )
  amaraki | Jun 12, 2016 |
5.15
  aletheia21 | Oct 18, 2015 |
Well. I'm rather at a loss. I could give you a basic plot outline, to start with, I suppose.
Catherine's secret lover, also a coworker, dies. She is unable to grieve outwardly (secret) and her sympathetic boss - who may also have a crush on her - arranges for her to work on a project away from her usual workplace. She becomes obsessively involved in the project and completes it. The end.
This basic outline will tell you absolutely nothing about what this story is really about, and I'm not entirely sure I can tell you either. It's probably about loss, fear of loss, obsession, fear of obsession, the mysteries of human interaction and perhaps even physics. Did Mr. Carey indulge in an intensive study of German transcendentalists before writing this book? I have questions.
I found Catherine to be an unsympathetic character and felt very out of patience with her behavior. I did relate on some level to her throwing herself into a difficult project in order to escape from her grief.
I don't really have anything else to offer here. It wasn't a terrible book. It was even beautiful in spots, but then, rotten in spots too. It's an odd little book. ( )
  nittnut | Jul 29, 2015 |

Peter Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Frances Coady
Dead, and no one told me.

London, 2010. Grieving the loss of her lover, Swinburne museum curator Catherine Gehrig is given a special project--bring back to life an automaton whose original owner, 19th century Englishman Henry Brandling, was also confronted with the mystery of life and death.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1926428153, 0143568558

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible