Red, White, and Blood by Christopher…

Red, White, and Blood

by Christopher Farnsworth

I liked the first book in this series and I thought the second one was very good. Thus it’s with sadness I have to say that in my opinion this, the third, book in the series went for a real nosedive.

The story takes place right during the presidential campaign which of course makes my political bullshit early warning system go into high gear right away. I still wanted to read the book though since I did like the first two books. However, the political bullshitting, plotting, betrayals, dumbass journalists and so on, are just not very fun read. At least not for me.

The parts with Cade in are still very good. His conversations (if you can call them that) with Zach, him intimidating the unfortunate mortals that cross his path, the action. These are the parts that I really like and would like to read more of.

Then we come to the end and that is really when disaster strikes. I don’t really want to spoil things but on the last few pages enemies are experiencing surprise revivals and good guys have unfortunate “accidents” in a way which really did not sit well with me. The cliffhanger left is huge and obvious as well. The entire ending is what I would expect of a soap opera…a cheap soap opera. For me it was a star off just for the ending.

What a disappointment. Now I am not sure that I really want to read the next book if one comes out. ( )
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
All I really have to say about this book is, read it. In fact, read the series. Read it if you really hate sparkly vampires.

I'm looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Nathaniel Cade faces off with an ancient foe, the Boogeyman, a serial killer who Cade has often battles and "killed" over the years but who is periodically reborn due to the human blood sacrifices from deranged cult members. The boogeyman has returned and is focused on influencing the current presidential election and hopefully, killing the President and/or his family. The Boogeyman, is operating a little smarter and a little more deviously because he has secret support from an old nemesis of Cade's who makes a surprising return.

Christopher Farnsworth delivers an expected high level of action and horror, along with bearable doses of political intrigue. Red White and Blood also introduces us to a little more of Zach's history, and pulls Cade's character in some scary directions too.

This is the third book in the series and each of them have been 5 star worthy. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The Good: This book was crazy good, between Zach's personal life and the big evil that has risen again. Seeing the president on the road, campaigning for reelection, with Zach and Cade at his back for protection was really fun. The Boogeyman is a high concept villain that really works well, both here in the story and as a mythology that could work on its own in the world, explaining all the supernatural evil we've seen in movies and books. I can't even put into words my reaction to the end of this book. It was, just, wow. It's actually frightening what may come in the next book.

The Bad: Someone returns from the dead and it's unnecessary. They become central to a plot that could have been managed without them. In an effort to explain how they are alive, there are some weird twists that do nothing but bog down the current story. ( )
  TequilaReader | Feb 12, 2016 |
Another page-turner starring Nathaniel Cade, the President's Vampire. This wasn't nearly as scary as the last one (I don't know, for some reason the zombie-like snake soldiers really scared the crap outta me), so the Boogeyman wasn't quite as terrifying to me - more sadistic and gory, but not quite as terror-inspiring. It might have been that even though he wasn't human, he seemed more believably human, so it was a little more pedestrian-seeming.

Anyway. If you're looking for a scary (really, horror) story that reads like a movie and makes you want to ignore your family, check it out. I think I read it in about 36 hours.

Really looking forward to the next one. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
An election is a moral horror, as bad

as a battle except for the blood.

--- George Bernard Shaw
To Marv,

who started being my dad long before he married my mom.

Thanks.
Jenny straddled Tom's lap in the backseat, her tongue deep in his mouth.

"The President's vampire, Nathaniel Cade, and his human handler, Zach Barrows, must hunt down an immortal serial killer wreaking havoc on the 2012 campaign trail"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,652,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible