Gyges The Terrible by Adam Wasserman

Gyges The Terrible

by Adam Wasserman

142683,257 (4)None

Cased upon the mythos of Gyges of history, Marcellus Gyges happens upon a powerful ring and of course that is where the trouble starts. Set in a world that is ruled now a s a Freemocrocy and the President pretty much rulse most of the world. Marcellus and his friends go on a terrifying politcal journey through the pitfalls of bureaucracy and end having a metaphysical realization. Once you get hte authors rythym this book was lots of fun. ( )
  Scoshie | Jul 2, 2013 |
I won this book from the Librarything member giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about the journey of Gyges, unsurprisingly, given the title. He steals a ring of immense power and through a mixture of dreams/philosophy and bloody war, he makes his way up the ranks of a dystopian United States.

The premise was intriguing to me, and I believe this is the strength of the book. There are certain passages where I was drawn into the text. Wasserman has a sarcastic tone and this book is a black comedy of sorts.

But I have to admit, I had a really hard getting through this novel. It needs to be heavily edited, there are many grammatical and spelling mistakes. I believe that the change in tenses was deliberate, but I don't believe it was a risk that paid off. The entire book was confusing and dense, packed at a 399 page total. The mixture of black comedy and odd philosophy and sarcastic humor didn't do it for me. I thought all of the characters were completely despicable including Mr. Gyges and didn't care if they lived or died. Of course, this may have been Wasserman's intention, but it made getting through the book very difficult. Lastly, I didn't get why someone didn't just steal the ring back at the beginning... Gyges definitely sleeps and doesn't always wear the ring.

That said, I admired the scope of the novel and the vast array of characters. It may be that I just didn't get his style. ( )
  chickey1981 | Mar 7, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125787540X, Paperback)

What would you be like if you could do anything you wanted and feared no punishment? This is a futuristic Earth. Drugs are a commonplace amusement and unemployment is a capital crime. Freemocracy camps exist for those who make trouble, and most of us try and escape the boredom of our lives in a common virtual world called the Sim. Like the rest of us, Marcellus is just an ordinary. But one day, he finds a magical token. A whole new world opens up. It's a world he was never supposed to see. There are specials. They eat real food. There are the wide, cavernous halls of the White House where the strings of Empire are expertly pulled. Later on, Marcellus is banished to the lunar territories. It is there that he meets the infamous general, Munib the Magnificent, the Shadow of God on Earth. It is amidst the peaceful silence and strange beauty of Luna that he is finally able to resolve the conflict simmering inside. He returns to earth. But does he really set things right? Is it even in his power?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:49 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Adam Wasserman's book Gyges the Terrible was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Adam Wasserman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,403,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible