Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses by…

Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses (edition 2006)

by Rachel Caine

Member:MoonSpider
Title:Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

English (145)  Piratical (1)  All languages (146)
I know this series has been out for awhile now but I just sat down and started to read it because I got Ghost Town in the mail for review (yes when that happens I read the WHOLE series) and I needed to get the background, at nine books in you kinda have to read from the beginning.

I love that Claire is a fighter and I definitely though that Clare would have gone for Michael instead of uh....someone else, I really did. I hate Monica (even though I was shocked at first every time I read her name) she was a very evil villain, the kind you just want to kill off.

I enjoyed this new (or well older but new to me) twist on a vampire YA. I also love the inclusion of the house, it's lore, and the extra-ness in one of the roommates. I also loved that they stood and fought with her, it was one of those wriggly happy moments of reading. I am continuing on to book two and I can't wait to keep reading more by this author.

mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Glass Houses is one of those books that you read through in a single night. It's fun, fast-paced, and a light read. The story appears to be another new-girl-at-school-meets-the-mean-girls, at least in the first couple of chapters. Except, the mean girls are way too mean, as in mean enough to kill the new girl, and a strong streak of underlying menace makes the reader sense that things are not what they seem in Morganville. The story is narrated in third person, but from the perspective of the new girl, Claire Danvers. Not only is she just starting college, but she is underage, having finished high school in two years. When she inadvertently made popular girl Monica look stupid in front of her friends, she draws the pretty girl's wrath. Still, Claire is puzzled by the virulence of the bullying, and when Monica pushes her down the stairs and leaves with a parting threat about more to come at night, Claire realizes that her best alternative is to find a safer place to live than in the dorms.

She casts about for anything reasonable, and finally finds a notice requesting a roommate at a place called the Glass House. When Claire arrives, she is sure no college kids would be interested in her as a potential roommate, but Eve, one of the Glass House residents, practically forces her inside. Eve insists that Claire is the most normal person to apply, and probably also feels sympathy for the visibly bruised young girl. Claire soon meets Eve's other roommates, Shane and Michael, two extremely hot boys a couple years older than Claire. Michael is unwilling to let someone so young live with them, but when they find out her nemesis is Monica Morrell, they give her a few days of sanctuary. They also inform Claire about Morganville's secret, which the reader has already deduced, even if the book cover hasn't given it away: Morganville is ruled by vampires. Monica is protected by her family's vampire, Brandon, one of the nastier ones of the bunch. Claire thinks everyone is crazy, until she has the proof of fangs presented in her face.

Problems with Monica only deepen, and Claire's new roommates grow increasingly protective. Despite the many terrors mounting around her, Claire refuses to back down. When she returns to school, though, she is greeted by one of Monica's minions pouring acid down her back, and is taken to the hospital. Shane watches over her, filled with regret, since he was escorting Claire to keep her safe and he didn't see the girl in time to prevent the attack. Since he can't reach the mysterious Michael, he takes matters in his own hands. Shane makes a deal with Brandon to give Claire some protection. The other three are furious with his self-sacrifice, and are determined to find a way out. When Eve reveals to Claire that the vampires are searching for a special book, something they want more than Brandon wants Shane's blood, the gang work out a plot to find or recreate the desired tome. Their scheme brings them into conflict with a dangerous and powerful vampire, and might be the death of them all.

The setting is original and quite fun. As I wrote at the beginning, the book exerts a hold on the reader's attention that is liable to keep her awake far past her bed time. The plot is packed with action. And vampires. I am partial to a certain kind of vampire story. I like the vampires to be dangerous and dark, but also exciting. It doesn't hurt if a few of them are sexy. I want the vampires to be complex, not all of them bad, but not all of them good. I definitely don't like brutal, evil vampire stories. This novel exactly captured my wishes for depicting a secret society of vampires. In addition, the author merged the supernatural with a school story, which was a fun twist. Also, the romance is good, actually great, but still appropriate for a younger audience. As to the downside of the book, the writing is a bit clumsy at times. Details like Eve asking Claire her name when she referred to her by it just a page earlier jumped out at me as examples of sloppy writing. Still, considering the easy-read nature of the book, I was able to overlook these flaws and just enjoy the story. This is certainly a series I will be exploring further. ( )
  nmhale | Nov 14, 2014 |
Okay, so I will admit, I have seen this around for ages and read some good reviews of the series, but it didn't get my attention until I watched the first couple of web series episodes, and knew it had even more potential to make a good read, especially dropping the cheesiness that I cringed at a bit in the episodes.

I love Claire, she is a brilliant 16 year old and she has this fierce determination, not backing down from a challenge, and never wanting to quit. She is first bullied by a mean girl type named Monica, and she finally stood up to her and was granted a shove down the stairs for her effort. She begins to look for a house off of campus and then subsequently discovers that this town is full of vampires. Since neither her, or Shane, Micheal or Eve has protection from a vamp and can be considered free range. As an intellectual she has a hard time believing until she sees vampire strength and presence with her own eyes.

I fell for the other members of the house, Eve the goth but such a sweetie underneath, beautiful boys both with their own secrets who at first have a hard time accepting Claire as a fourth in their house but then she earns some respect because she did stand up to Monica and gets bonus points because she can cook.

The secrets unveiled, the world building for the town, and the development of the characters really made this story, although it def made me want to read the next one right away.

Bottom Line: Loved the main character and world building ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Nov 10, 2014 |
Wow, I’m so glad I acquired all six of the books (out so far) at the same time. The cliffhanger ending left me so hungry for more that as soon as I finished Glass Houses I started reading The Dead Girls’ Dance right after just so I could find out what happened next. For a young adult book and a first in a series I was impressed, it’s rare to find any series that starts with a bang.

I didn’t have a problem with Claire that others have expressed. Her attitude was justified, moving away from home to go to university is tough and to do it at sixteen as a child prodigy must be even harder especially when you are being targeted by a group of murderous bullies. If you wouldn’t feel scared and depressed in that situation then you’re a robot. She was entitled to a little whining.

I haven’t read the whole of Caine’s Weather Warden series but I did read the first book, Ill Wind which wasn’t really something I could get into so if you couldn’t get into it either then you may want to give the Morganville Vampire series a try though I have to warn you it is addictive!
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. I liked the fact that the heroes were not vampires, but they had to deal with them every day. Claire, the main character, is young, outmatched, and feisty. If you'd like to read a novel in which the vampires aren't the heroes for a change, pick up this book! ( )
  CorinasQuill | Aug 31, 2014 |
To Liz, who asked.
On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219945, Mass Market Paperback)

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:00 -0400)

In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that her new roommates are vampires.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,018,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible