Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses by…

Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses (edition 2006)

by Rachel Caine

Info:NAL Jam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Parts of the plot are pretty illogical, but the suspense really has me hooked. ( )
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |
A very intriguing, original YA story with some serious tension and horror moments. Although the premise sounds silly when explained, Caine manages to put it across as a deeply threatening setting, where some brave and thoroughly interesting characters struggle to remain in control, sane, and of course alive. I found the characterisation extremely compelling, with very convincing depictions of young adults, including the slight but significant graduations in outlook between different ages. The interactions were excellent and the writing gripping.

My one gripe with this book is that the sequel kicked the rug out from under me completely, introducing egregious personal trauma backstories, changing the tone significantly, throwing in several plot points that make no sense in the setting, and in general completely undermining the hard work this book had done. So while I enjoyed it in isolation, I can't honestly recommend reading it unless you plan to stop shortly before the end. ( )
  Shimmin | Jun 17, 2014 |
I sincerely wanted to like this book- the ideas were fresh and exciting. A town run by vampires? Awesome! And as a college student, I was itching to read a fantasy set in college.

But alas, the book ended up as too simplistic and superficial- I walked away from the book with only the tiniest glimpse of the personality of the characters, and the world of Morganville. And the villains- mean popular girls, childishly arrogant vamps. Nothing of interest to me there. And I was so hoping the mean girl thing would end up as irony, but it was deadly serious!
And the heroine- for someone supposedly super smart she really is spectacularly stupid sometimes. She's the girl from all the horror movies, who you just want to scream at- DON'T OPEN THE DOOR! DON'T OPEN THE DOOR! I was painfully aware of her youth (16) throughout the book- not to say I haven't encountered some amazing 16 yr old heroines, but Claire was so so naive and immature.

I think I could have really liked this book if it had some more depth, stepped away from some of the cliches, and had a more mature and street-smart heroine. Perhaps the sequels provide that? In any case, I won't be picking any of them up unless I get really desperate for a new book to read.

*****I know I am a young adult, and this book is probably more directed at young teens, but that is really no excuse. There are some children's books out there with way more depth and sophistication than this one. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
I am really starting to like these books more than Twilight. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
This book took me a few chapters to get into the story and then I was hooked. I love the variety of characters and how Claire learns to fight back using her strengths. The town is creepy and the college is even creepier. A total indulgence read as I read it purely for entertainment purposes. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 3, 2014 |
To Liz, who asked.
On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219945, Mass Market Paperback)

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:00 -0400)

In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that her new roommates are vampires.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,236,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible