Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses by…

Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses (edition 2006)

by Rachel Caine

Member:MoonSpider
Title:Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

English (155)  Piratical (1)  All languages (156)
This book was super addicting! I discovered the books while watching the Geek and Sundry web series last October and I've had them on my mind for a while now. I loved the show and I wanted to read the book it was based on.

I really liked Claire as the main character. She was so rational and disbelieving of vampires, it was refreshing that she didn't immediately buy into their existence or fall in love with one immediately. She was as rational and level headed which was refreshing.

I loved Claire and Shane's relationship. There was no insta-love which was a nice change in young adult fiction. They sounded like teenagers when they talked, not adults trying to be "hip" or cool.

The cliff hanger ending was unexpected, but not unwelcome. I can't wait to see what will happen in the next book! Happy reading! ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Feb 7, 2016 |
I haven't been much for Young Adult novels of this particular type for awhile now, but I thought what the heck it has to be better than the other mainstream vampire series that will go unnamed here. I devoured this book in one sitting while I was on the greyhound bus going from Indiana to California (the bus trip was multiple days the book however was finished in one day of that trip).

Caine, whose real name is Roxanne Longstreet Conrad, creates a new world of vampires that is engaging in a way that I haven't seen from the genre in awhile. She makes the vampires in charge of this singular town and creates a mystery as to why others cannot remember aspects of the town upon their exit. This made for a rather fun first read of the multiple book series.

We are introduced to the main characters relatively quickly in the book, which is always nice since sometimes it can feel like an author takes their sweet time to make you aware of the big names. Someone may get introduced in chapter twelve in another series book, but here it is like "these are the big names for at least a few books", which was nice. You could also tell that it was a series because there are several moments where you go "I bet that comes back later". It made it feel like I was part of an ongoing world instead of just reading a one and done novel. Often I don't like feeling like I have to read more books than the one currently in my hands, but here it felt natural and right. I reached the final page of this book WANTING there to be more instead of being thankful I reached the ending and that it was enjoyable. I was saying, "Okay more and what happens to such and such character next..." I don't normally say that. I didn't even say that in the Sookie Stackhouse book that I read.

This was engaging on an important fun level that many books have lost touch with. Often, as readers it appears we want to have really deep meaningful books to read. We want it to be literary masterpieces, but I state right now I find I enjoy the books that are not considered masterpieces so much better because they provide enjoyment over substance. I would rather leave a book feeling that I have went on a journey with characters I like and want to see again than to read a book where I feel like I am dragged through the coals to get to the ending. Glass Houses never felt like I was dragged along, but felt like an enjoyable ride! What if other writers understood that a book should be enjoyable like Caine does? I think we would all have better reading experiences.

All of her characters are richly layered with secrets. You can tell from the first moment any character is introduced that something is not being said about them regardless of their importance in the series. To naturally have that with each character is rare. While this is a multiple book series commitment it is one that I am going to be taking on over the next several months between other reading I am doing as well because I feel that it will be well worth it based on this first book of the series. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Claire Danvers is a teenage prodigy. Her parents send her to school in Morganville, Texas to keep her close to home. The only problem is Morganville is run by vampires and Claire is on their bad side. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Great Book! Loved the cliffhanger at the end. Claire is 16, graduated highschool early and is attending college in Morganville. She is being harrassed by girls in her dorm. Monica the leader doesn't seem afraid of any consequences with her actions. Eventually, Claire finds the Glass House and Michael, Shane and Eve. She moves in and finds out that there is more to Morganville than she could have imagined. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 14, 2016 |
Exciting and uncomplicated. Though it was hard to distinguish the two boys, and the plot was simplistic and occasionally the plot seemed pushed or yanked about, I enjoyed the read and the story idea. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
To Liz, who asked.
On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the mass-market paperback edition):

Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this publication book may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), without the prior written permission of both the copyright owner and the above publisher of this book.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE[:]
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

The publisher does not have any control over and assumes no responsibility for author or third party Web sites or their content.

If you purchased this book without a cover, you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was

reported as 'unsold and destroyed' to the publisher, and neither the author nor the publisher has received any

payment for this 'stripped book.'

The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the Internet or via any other means without the permission of the publisher is illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219945, Mass Market Paperback)

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that her new roommates are vampires.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,239,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible