Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses by…

Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses (edition 2006)

by Rachel Caine

Member:MoonSpider
Title:Morganville Vampires #01: Glass Houses
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Amazing. Now I have to read the other nine books immediately. ( )
  sojo817 | Mar 15, 2014 |
Started off kinda slow but got better. Not your typical vampire story. Humans and bad vampires. ( )
  TeamDewey | Mar 8, 2014 |
Claire is just a sixteen, errr almost seventeen...sort of, year old girl. Teenage years can be rough, but Claire is finding them extra hard. See, Claire has special circumstances, she may be only sixteen, but she is a freshman in college and trying to live on her own away from home for the first time ever. Soon she is hating it because she loves school, but she is being bullied like crazy, some say hazed. The difference? Her attacker wants her to be gone forever, not just made miserable. Claire soon finds herself in danger and decides the only way she will stand any chance of surviving her dorm life, is going to be leaving the dorm for other living arrangements. Soon she finds a spooky looking house and some odd teens looking for a roommate. Problem is, they are older and she is really young to be living with a bunch of 18 and ups. Michael, the owner of the house, sees she is in real trouble though and offers her a place to crash, even if it's just for a few days or a week until she can figure something else out. While living there though Claire learns more about Morganville, Texas and why things seem so strange around here. There are deep and very dark secrets in Morganville, none of which certain people there want getting out. So when Claire is too curious she puts herself in even more danger. Will she figure the town out and all of it's secrets? Will she survive trying to figure things out? What secrets do her roommates have and why are they so scared and careful all the time when it gets dark out? Legends are just that right?....Legends....none of them hold real truth to them do they? One thing's for sure, Claire may have gained three great and new friends in Eve, Shane, and Michael, but she will probably regret the day she ever came to Morganville, Texas.

The back of this book didn't do it very much justice. I realize now though, it is because too much more to it would have given some of the mystery away or made things sound way to confusing. I was not sure about this read when I picked it up, but I got it free from a library book sale (along with many of the other books of this series) so I figured why not give it a go. I am very glad I did! This book was full of mystery, paranormal, drama, friendship, and much more!! This was a vampire book that was done in a great way. It wasn't all love and mush, but had some of those elements at times. It wasn't all killing and vampire attacks either....though it has those moments too. It was written in an easy to follow way and one that made you want to keep right on reading until you hit that last page. Then I found myself wanting to go to page one of the next book too. Very well written with amazing descriptive words. I felt like I was watching a movie while I was reading it, it was so vivid to me. The characters were also something to "write home about"! They are all so unique you can't wait to watch them develop as the book goes on and you learn more about them and their past. Young Adult books can sometimes be a bit too young adult at times, but this one wasn't. What do I mean by that? I mean sometimes they just aren't enjoyable for us bit "older", maybe not so young adult, readers. ;-) There can be too much drama and no enough plot, but this book had a great plot with drama incorporated into it, not drama with a plot incorporated into it. I very much recommend this book to any paranormal mystery reader young or old. I plan to read on in this series in the months to come that's for sure.

5/5 Stars!! ( )
  AngiesAngels | Jan 25, 2014 |
Nerdy Claire Danvers couldn't have been more disappointed when her parents decided she wasn't ready at 16 to go away to any of the real colleges asking her to attend. Instead she's stuck at Texas Prairie University - a dead-end school in the small, creepy town of Morganville. And as if her academic career wasn't already enough jeopardy, Claire's smart-aleck remarks manage to make the most popular (and most powerful) girl in school her enemy. And not just in a "dump your laundry in the trash" kind of way, but in a downright psycho-bitch enemy sort of way. To escape Monica, Claire moves off-campus to Glass House and quickly begins to bond with her charming (but bizarre) housemates, all of whom have a reason to protect her from the local dangers, which are even more frightening than Monica, you see, Morganville is controlled by vampires who are out for anyone not under someone's Protection...

Meet our protagonists:

Claire - 16 year old academic genius; plenty feisty, but altogether too good at stirring up trouble and enmity that will put her in danger
Eve - cheerful Goth chick; her very dress sense waves a red flag at the vampires she despises
Shane - currently "between majors"; Shane left Morganville for a while after a family tragedy which gives him plenty of reason to thwart the vampiric powers-that-be
Michael - talented musician and owner of the house; only seems to come out at night

Claire was an easy heroine to like - she's smart and gutsy and wants to help and protect her friends at least as much as herself. Her initial skepticism regarding the vampires running Morganville makes sense given her scientific background (loved her TA-sponsored breaking and entering), but quickly gives way to her asking (rather scientific-type) questions about the rules/methods of weakening or killing them. My main issue with Claire is her refusal to listen to anyone's concerns for her safety. On the one hand, I understand - it wouldn't have been much of a story if she'd let Michael or Shane lock her in the house and not leave her room. On the other, I'm not really sure why on Earth she seems to think that class attendance trumps the whole 'staying alive' thing. Especially given her track record of getting beaten up and generally having dangerous things happen to her, I thought her common sense was pretty painfully lacking. Seriously, I cringed at some of the things that happened to her...

The main plotline in Glass Houses revolves around Claire trying to protect herself and her friends by making a deal with the vampires - but first she has to find something they want (which plays into her research skills) and then she has to figure out how to offer it to them without getting embroiled in a deal with too many loopholes that will negate her purpose. The villain was an interesting choice, I thought, unexpected enough to be interesting but not completely un-sign-posted. I will note that the main plotline wraps up in this volume, but there's a bit of an aftermath to the climax that results in a hugely CLIFFHANGER ending.

Please see full review at A Hoyden's Look at Literature. ( )
  Caramellunacy | Dec 8, 2013 |
I found this book to be a nice change from the typical high school setting that so many Young Adult books take place in - with good reason, of course. So what if she's still only 16, she's in college! Unfortunately, she still has not outgrown the evil female clique syndrome that plague so many stories. Some elements of the story remind me of my own days in university, but the book takes them all to the extreme. On a side note, it's a good thing she's so dang smart, because from my experience, skipping classes like she does throughout the text should, in reality, result in failing grades. I guess that's the beauty of fantasy literature - you can skip all the drudgery and go straight for the exciting bits of life.
The part I did not really understand - and I am still waiting for an explanation after finishing the book - is how the psychotic Monica seems to get away with more than the resident vampires do. I mean, if the vamps both built and run the town of Morganville, it makes more sense that they would want to appear more nefarious than the lowly humans.
I also found it strangely refreshing that the vampires were wholely and completely the bad guys - no human-vampire romantic happenings, and no, Miranda the vision-plagued goth and her undead boyfriend Charles do not count. But I did find the head vampire Amelie very intriguing, since she seems less interested in bloody deaths and widespread property damage and more interested in maintaining power and protecting her assets, a trait that no other vampire in the novel seemed to exhibit.
I can not wait to get my hands on the next novel in the series, The Dead Girls' Dance, since Michael's state of ghost / not-ghost / Glass House incarnate has not been resolved enough for me at all!

JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
To Liz, who asked.
On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219945, Mass Market Paperback)

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:00 -0400)

In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that her new roommates are vampires.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible