Aliens: Fast Track to Heaven by Liam Sharp

Aliens: Fast Track to Heaven

by Liam Sharp

Aliens: Fast Track to Heaven is short graphic novella, too short one could say, it simply makes you want more. Not simply because of the story, that is a tale in its own right, but equally for the art. To be honest, both story and art are very much worth the experience.

People familiar with the Alien Universe will quickly find themselves immersed in it, if you are somehow unfamiliar with it don't despair - with the visible balance between art and the story there is no hurdle against finding your way and getting captured by it.

The style and form of art is clear, and very suited to the environment of the story. The colours used express the tone of pace and position within the story quite well, something you do not see that often these days in comics or graphic novels (making this refreshing, on top of enjoyable).

What struck me most of the balance between story and art, was the viewpoints expressed through both. Again, colours are expressive for both character, situation and tone. Offset by the divide created between the environments and the character faces and positioning on the pages, taking you back and forth between the fear of the (un)known and the simple given fact that these are people, about to die.

Aliens: Fast Track to Heaven is short, but very enjoyable, whether you are familiar with the Alien Universe or not. You'll find yourself reading through it in one go, and picking it up again, and again. ( )
  mackmeijers | Mar 12, 2012 |
Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: NetGalley
Reviewer: Me

Aliens: Fast Track to Heaven is a short – 40 page – graphic novel novella set in the epic Alien Universe. It may not be the engrossing 140 page graphic novel we comic lovers are use to; however, wrapped up in these 40 pages is a fast paced tantalizing story of one rescue teams frightening journey of survival. What is lurking behind every wall, in the shafts, and deep within the shadows? Aliens, and not the friendly kind.

A rescue team is trapped, and soon discovers they are not alone in the underground station. What seemed like a simple mission has turned into a colossal nightmare. Trying to flee to safety the team must decide whose lives are more important, theirs or the people above. The story is brief, but what it lacks in length it makes up for in art style. Vibrant blues, greens, yellows, and reds grace the pages changing the tone and mood of the story from frame to frame. It’s rich and exciting, gritty and purposeful. And just the way I like my horror comics.

Overall, Aliens: Fast Track to Heaven may not be an awesome five star book, but it is a fun quick read fans of the Alien Series should love. If you a looking for a quick horror comic fix then I suggest this graphic novel novella and all it’s beautifully artist glory. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 20, 2012 |
What a privilege to read a graphic novel before it’s published. In this case, the work is a novella – shorter than the average graphic novel. I didn’t think they could get shorter, to be honest. It was far too brief for my taste but a nice treat anyway.
Aliens was drawn wonderfully. The monster remained true to the movies. I wasn’t so keen on the multicolor panes for the characters. I prefer clean drawings but this one was filled with green, red and blue squares making it difficult for me to connect with the characters. I had difficulty determining the characters in the beginning. I know that in the horror genre, getting to know the characters can often play second to the monster.
The world was different than the worlds of Ripley in the movies and I didn’t quite connect to it. I can only hope that this was just a sample of what they are going to do with the Aliens franchise. I want to know more about this future and its intricate parts. I didn’t see a character that stood out like Ripley and it would be nice to have someone to connect with while the Aliens are wreaking havoc.
I’d read more, if offered. I may even look out for more Liam Sharp. Because this was an e-copy instead of a print copy, I did have difficulty reading some of the print but I hope that isn’t true in the print copy. ( )
  SDPogue | Dec 14, 2011 |

Deep beneath the ice of Jupiter's moon Europa, life teems in the depths of dark oceans fed by belching, chemical-rich volcanic vents. But more spectacular discoveries of life elsewhere in the cosmos have left Europa little more than another commercial stopover with an orbital station and a decaying space elevator ferrying cargo and personnel to and from the moon. But when one of the massive elevators stops midway with no communication from the crew aboard, a rescue team soon discovers that the stranded elevator is transporting a deadly cargo from another world, a savage organism that threatens life on Europa and, ultimately, life on planet Earth. --Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,290,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible