The Story of Stuff -DVD by Annie Leonard

The Story of Stuff -DVD

by Annie Leonard

711,138,814NoneNone

From its extraction through sale, use and disposal, all the stuff in our lives affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden from view. The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled DVD that looks at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

Annie Leonard has spent nearly two decades investigating and organizing on environmental health and justice issues. She has traveled to 40 countries, visiting literally hundreds of factories where our stuff is made and dumps where our stuff is dumped. Witnessing first hand the horrendous impacts of both over- and under- consumption around the world, Annie is fiercely dedicated to reclaiming and transforming our industrial and economic systems so they serve, rather than undermine, ecological sustainability and social equity. She was named one of Time magazine's "Environmental Heroes" in 2008.

The Story of Stuff project is sponsored by Tides Foundation and Funders Workgroup for Sustainable Production and Consumption. (http://www.hesperian.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HB&Prod...)
  wuu | Aug 7, 2011 |

Annie Leonard has traveled all over the world to understand how we get our stuff and what happens to it when we are finished with it. She explains the materials economy and how it leaves out the interactions with the world creating dangerous space for destructive practices. The teen study guide focuses on creation care using scripture. The adult study guide offers more general discussion questions and activities. The DVD is 20 minutes.

Leader's guides are available for adults and teens. The teen study has seven sessions including the introduction. Resources for hosting a screening (invitations, flyers, etc.) are available upon request. The study guides and other resources, including the entire film with subtitles in Spanish and other languages, can be downloaded for free at http://storyofstuff.org. Films on the stories of cosmetics, bottled water, and cap & trade are also available for free on the website.
From its extraction through sale, use and disposal, all the stuff in our lives affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden from view. The Story of Stuff is a look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible