Trapeze by Simon Mawer

Trapeze (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Simon Mawer

Member:donnacornick
Title:Trapeze
Authors:Simon Mawer
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Simon Mawer (2012)

English (23)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (24)
This is a book about self determination. It covers a subject visited already by other authors - Ian McEwan's 'Sweet Tooth' is an example - concerning the training, deployment and adventures of a female British spy in WWII. Perhaps inevitably, the plot is driven by questions concerning the blurring of lines between desire and duty, and all this is kind of cliched - but the writing has a hard clarity and the female lead is a realistically drawn human being. The choices she makes, and why she makes them, are the real interest of the book and this makes the ending especially work well. ( )
  freelancer_frank | Mar 30, 2014 |
This one was interesting, it was about a young woman who was taken from a desk job during WW2 and trained to be an undercover agent and then dropped by parachute to work in occupied France, passing messages, retrieving information and working to get key individuals out of the country. She retains a certain naivete throughout. I could pick faults in some aspects of the story, but I won't because overall it was a good one. ( )
  Peace2 | Jan 20, 2014 |
As with other reviewers, I was pulled in by the premise but then left disappointed. I felt Mawer did manage to crank up the tension, but I'm not sure that was due to his writing or just because I was anticipating the ending - which was predictable. ( )
  GingerCrinkle | Dec 1, 2013 |
A young Anglo-French woman is selected by the British to become a spy in France during World War II. Her language-skills are important, but her former contacts with a French scientist seem to be crucial. After weeks of harsh training in Scotland, she's sent off to France and tries to do what she's asked to do. In between, she tires to control her love-life.
The premise looked promising but unfortunately, the book could not impress me. Characters were flat, apart from Marian / aka Anne-Marie / aka Laurence / aka Alice who didn't convince me at all. I didn't find this book exciting or interesting. In fact I thought it a bit erratic. And the end felt as if the author suddenly got bored, was ordered to stop at 300 pages or decided to make it a prequel to a series. No, I'm sorry, I've read better books. ( )
  JustJoey4 | Nov 18, 2013 |
The premise for this book - female spy during WWII - is a good one, but I was disappointed overall with its telling, primarily because of the lack of character development given to the protagonist Marian Sutro. While we know she is bright and bilingual the only other aspect of her personality that appeared to be developed was her discovering the difference between first crush and early love and the losing of her virginity, which seemed more coming of age than related to being a female spy. The plot in terms of her mission was okay. The ending was predictable. ( )
  CarterPJ | Aug 28, 2013 |
Pour vivre heureux, vivons caches - Florian
The French Section of the special Operations Executive sent thirty-nine women into the field between May 1941 and September 1944. Of these, twelve were murdered following their capture by the Germans while one other died of meningitis during her mission. The remainder survived the war. Some of these women became well known to the buplic through films and books that were written about them. Others remained, and remain, obscure. They were all remarkable.
To the memory of Colette, one of the women of SOE
She's sitting in the fuselage, trussed up like a piece of baggage, battered by noise.

At the age of 19, fluent-French-speaking Briton Marian Sutro is recruited for service in the Special Operations Executive during World War II, only to find that another secret organization wants her to infiltrate Paris to persuade a research physicist to join the Allied war effort.… (more)

98 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,645,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible