Trapeze by Simon Mawer

Trapeze (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Simon Mawer

Authors:Simon Mawer
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Simon Mawer (2012)

English (26)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (27)
I was given the sequel, Tightrope, to this book but hadn't read this one so I wanted to get to it first, and I'm quite glad I did. As Hitler tries to take over the world, this young woman is recruited in England to be part of an espionage network, dangerous work to say the least. And at first, it seems like it will be a bit of a lark.

The story moved along rapidly, with lots of interesting characters. I especially appreciated the bits of history women into the story, and found the parts about the development of the atomic bomb to be fascinating. The ethics of war, what is right, what is wrong even during war, is part of the story. That this is a fictionalized about of real women involved in this undercover work made it all the better.

This story ended on a cliffhanger, and while the book was satisfying in itself, I can't wait to dig into Tightrope. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Oct 26, 2015 |
I found this book disappointing. I was expecting a dramatic, tense thriller with a daring and loveable heroine, and got a dull, by the numbers WWII story with a protagonist who, frankly, I don't think I would care to spend 5 minutes in the same room with. She comes across as a rather selfish, nihilistic person, who uses others for her own purposes. I wasn't really interested in her romantic life, such as it was, she was carrying a torch for someone she hadn't seen for donkey's years, and the only interesting relationship in her life was with her brother. I just wanted a lot more action. There was a modicum of suspense, as is to be expected in Occupied France, but excitement was distinctly lacking. I have gotten hold of the sequel, which deals with the Cold war, and I'm hoping Marian has grown up a little bit and there some decent spy antics. ( )
  drmaf | Oct 23, 2015 |
A story of WW2 spies, specifically Marriane Sutro. The story is a little slow with not much suspense and a fairly predictable ending. Mildly entertaining, but never lives up to it's back cover promise ( )
  PIER50 | Jul 5, 2015 |
London WWII: Would you be willing to risk your life to help stop the Nazis?

Marian Sutro would. Being bilingual, she is recruited to for a special mission—to train in espionage and aid the French Resistance. Once her training is complete she is airdropped into the French countryside and eventually makes her way into Paris on a secret mission. Working in intelligence is tough; never knowing who or what might be waiting around the corner for you. Whom do you trust? Yvette, a classmate from training in Scotland, Benoit, a good looking Frenchman or Clement, an old family friend living and working in Paris?

While I did find some of the plot predictable it kept me wondering what would happen next, hoping for a twist or more interaction between certain characters…unfortunately it did not come. I wish there had been more development between Marian and one of the two main male characters; I do not think their story lived up to potential. Overall, the book piqued my interest but I felt a bit let down at the end. Good book but a bit unsurprising… ( )
  Shuffy2 | Nov 7, 2014 |
This is a book about self determination. It covers a subject visited already by other authors - Ian McEwan's 'Sweet Tooth' is an example - concerning the training, deployment and adventures of a female British spy in WWII. Perhaps inevitably, the plot is driven by questions concerning the blurring of lines between desire and duty, and all this is kind of cliched - but the writing has a hard clarity and the female lead is a realistically drawn human being. The choices she makes, and why she makes them, are the real interest of the book and this makes the ending especially work well. ( )
  freelancer_frank | Mar 30, 2014 |
Pour vivre heureux, vivons caches - Florian
The French Section of the special Operations Executive sent thirty-nine women into the field between May 1941 and September 1944. Of these, twelve were murdered following their capture by the Germans while one other died of meningitis during her mission. The remainder survived the war. Some of these women became well known to the buplic through films and books that were written about them. Others remained, and remain, obscure. They were all remarkable.
To the memory of Colette, one of the women of SOE
She's sitting in the fuselage, trussed up like a piece of baggage, battered by noise.

At the age of 19, fluent-French-speaking Briton Marian Sutro is recruited for service in the Special Operations Executive during World War II, only to find that another secret organization wants her to infiltrate Paris to persuade a research physicist to join the Allied war effort.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible