Trapeze by Simon Mawer

Trapeze (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Simon Mawer

Member:donnacornick
Title:Trapeze
Authors:Simon Mawer
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Simon Mawer (2012)

English (25)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (26)
London WWII: Would you be willing to risk your life to help stop the Nazis?

Marian Sutro would. Being bilingual, she is recruited to for a special mission—to train in espionage and aid the French Resistance. Once her training is complete she is airdropped into the French countryside and eventually makes her way into Paris on a secret mission. Working in intelligence is tough; never knowing who or what might be waiting around the corner for you. Whom do you trust? Yvette, a classmate from training in Scotland, Benoit, a good looking Frenchman or Clement, an old family friend living and working in Paris?

While I did find some of the plot predictable it kept me wondering what would happen next, hoping for a twist or more interaction between certain characters…unfortunately it did not come. I wish there had been more development between Marian and one of the two main male characters; I do not think their story lived up to potential. Overall, the book piqued my interest but I felt a bit let down at the end. Good book but a bit unsurprising… ( )
  Shuffy2 | Nov 7, 2014 |
This is a book about self determination. It covers a subject visited already by other authors - Ian McEwan's 'Sweet Tooth' is an example - concerning the training, deployment and adventures of a female British spy in WWII. Perhaps inevitably, the plot is driven by questions concerning the blurring of lines between desire and duty, and all this is kind of cliched - but the writing has a hard clarity and the female lead is a realistically drawn human being. The choices she makes, and why she makes them, are the real interest of the book and this makes the ending especially work well. ( )
  freelancer_frank | Mar 30, 2014 |
This one was interesting, it was about a young woman who was taken from a desk job during WW2 and trained to be an undercover agent and then dropped by parachute to work in occupied France, passing messages, retrieving information and working to get key individuals out of the country. She retains a certain naivete throughout. I could pick faults in some aspects of the story, but I won't because overall it was a good one. ( )
  Peace2 | Jan 20, 2014 |
Another engaging period novel that I am glad I gave the full 50 pages too and did not give up on. Story about an English girl recruited to become a spy in France (where her family is from and where a former flame (her older brother's friend and a scientist working on the a-bomb) lives and works). Really conveys the feeling of training to be a spy and then the paranoia of being one...the German police could be anywhere! I liked the way her relationships with Benoit and Clement were portrayed, but I am not sure how to respond to the twist at the end--depressing, but perhaps fitting. ( )
  saholc | Dec 23, 2013 |
As with other reviewers, I was pulled in by the premise but then left disappointed. I felt Mawer did manage to crank up the tension, but I'm not sure that was due to his writing or just because I was anticipating the ending - which was predictable. ( )
1 vote GingerCrinkle | Dec 1, 2013 |
Pour vivre heureux, vivons caches - Florian
The French Section of the special Operations Executive sent thirty-nine women into the field between May 1941 and September 1944. Of these, twelve were murdered following their capture by the Germans while one other died of meningitis during her mission. The remainder survived the war. Some of these women became well known to the buplic through films and books that were written about them. Others remained, and remain, obscure. They were all remarkable.
To the memory of Colette, one of the women of SOE
She's sitting in the fuselage, trussed up like a piece of baggage, battered by noise.

At the age of 19, fluent-French-speaking Briton Marian Sutro is recruited for service in the Special Operations Executive during World War II, only to find that another secret organization wants her to infiltrate Paris to persuade a research physicist to join the Allied war effort.… (more)

98 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,933,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible