Drowned by Therese Bohman

Drowned

by Therese Bohman

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All (6)
Drowned by Therese Bohman is a literary novel and atmospheric psychological thriller. As the description says, the basic story in is deceptively simple. A young woman from Stockholm, Marina, visits her older sister, Stella. Stella, a horticulturist, lives in the countryside with Gabriel, a charismatic older man who is a writer. Marina finds herself attracted to Gabriel, but also seems to sense something dark and surreal about her sister's seemingly idyllic life. The novel itself is much more complex than the simple story would indicate.

The tone of Drowned is ominous and threatening right from the start. Even though the first part of the novel is set in the summer and there is lots of talk about the heat, the garden, the flowers, I still felt a shiver up my spine. There are so many undercurrents of conflicting emotions and things left unsaid that the suspense was building as I anticipated that something was dreadfully wrong and questioned what was really happening. There are small clues carefully introduced as the novel progresses that help make the conclusion very satisfying for me.

Due to be released on May 22, 2012, I felt that this translation of Drowned done by Marlaine Delargy (who also translated The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist, another novel I enjoyed), was very well written. It is a short novel that leaves a big impact. Although some readers may find the extensive descriptions exhausting to read, I Highly Recommended it. http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
Dark and disturbing story of a woman who is obsessed with her sister's lover. The author weaves a well-written and beautifully descriptive story detailing this woman's obsession and the man's very dark side. The ending was not what I was expecting at all. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Jun 24, 2013 |
Author: Therese Bohman
Published by: Nordstedts Forleag
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 4
Blog Review For: GMTA

Review:

"Drowned" by Therese Bohman was a literary, psychological, and chilling -thriller novel.

"Drowned" is of a university student from Stockholm,Marina, visits her older sister on vacation. Stella who is a horticulturist and her husband Gabriel....who is a charismatic older man and a writer. Marina is attracted to Gabriel and senses something very strange in her sister's 'idyllic life' which she will end up caught up in the feelings of sensuality. A vacation that you would have thought to be relaxing soon becomes something very dark and forbidding." OMG! This will definitely leave the reader to wonder what was really going on in this more complex well written story. This is where I say you must pick up "Drowned" to read.

The author does a wonderful job as her descriptions and details the sensual and darkness ...the surroundings... of Marina's childhood memories..showing who she is and the relationship she had with her sister, Stella.

"Drowned" was rather a quick short read that did keep my attention till the end. The ending will be somewhat a surprise WoW! If you are in for a story with plenty of twists...then you have come to the
right place and I would recommend this thriller novel for you. ( )
  arlenadean | Jul 16, 2012 |
Reviewed for Shelf Awareness for Readers, 5/29/2012: http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ar/readers/2012-05-29/drowned.htm ( )
  Florinda | May 29, 2012 |
This was a very different and hard to process psychological novel. I actually read part of it and put it aside for a few days just to think about what I was reading. The writing is lush,the prose wonderful the descriptions are very visual and sensory, at times beautiful. So on one hand is this beautiful background and on the other little random clues that point to madness and violence in a relationship. Yet these are easy to dismiss and the woman in this story does so, almost as it probably is in real like when one is trying to justify staying in an abusive relationship. It is not until there is a death that this woman begins to questions the things she has experienced and witnessed, begins to re-evaluate what she thinks she wants. This novel has almost a dreamlike quality to it and I really can not decide if it was brilliant or just pedantic, in the end I decided that regardless the prose is superb and I wanted to see where it ended. ARC from NetGalley. ( )
  Beamis12 | May 19, 2012 |

In the Swedish countryside during the summer, a woman becomes enamored with her older sister's husband, a charming-yet-violent writer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,009,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible