Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise,…

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 2

by Gene Luen Yang, Gurihiru (Illustrator)

208656,261 (3.95)2

I like Toph's story with the Lily livers--I mean, her students.

Mai's splitting up with Zuko. Noooooooooooooo

Another war's coming? Ugh. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
I read these books too quickly. They barely take as long as watching an episode. But the story is interesting and the art is quality. I have no complaint except that it's over too quickly. I feel like I need to slow down and examine the pictures closely to get the most enjoyment. I like that the story they are telling is full of complexity. What's right is not always what's right for everyone. And that creates conflict. The Fire Nation colonists have made there homes in the Earth Nation. Should they have to leave now that the Fire Nation is defeated? Is that the best thing for the city? Is separated harmony better than mixture and cooperation? How can a bunch of teenagers hope to make these decisions? And how can they convince the grownups of the best course of action? I don't know. I guess I have to find the next book and read it too quickly to find out. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
This was, sadly, just as disappointing as [b:Part 1|12413836|Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise Part 1 (The Promise, #1)|Gene Luen Yang|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1335027742s/12413836.jpg|17450243]. Once again, I felt it was too short. So many things could have been expanded upon and improved.

While I enjoyed getting a longer look at Toph's students and school, the tone of that storyline didn't seem to fit. Sokka, hoping to resolve the argument between Toph and the firebender teacher relatively peacefully, arranged for them to have a match to the sit. The students of the two schools would fight each other and try to force the teacher of the other school to sit. Things became fairly goofy, and nearly everything was played for laughs, which clashed with the much more serious Fire Nation scenes featuring a very haggard Zuko.

The characters were relatively true to the way they were in the original animation, except they seemed sort of like they'd...regressed? It's been a while since I last watched the series, but, personality-wise, a lot of the original characters seemed to be stuck in Season 2 mode. Zuko went back to hanging on his father's every word, even though this gave him an opportunity to spread his usual poison. Where the heck was Iroh? It would have made much more sense for Zuko to use him as a sounding board than his father, even if he had to do it via letters. Aang acted like a silly kid – Katara had to remind him that they had important things to do (like hopefully preventing a war), so he couldn't spend all his time playing with his giggling fanclub. And Sokka was back to being a clown. You'd think that the episodes in which he trained in swordfighting and took part in major battles never happened. Toph might be the only one who grew a bit, and even that's debatable.

I had thought that Kori, the girl from Part 1 who turned out to be the daughter of both Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation citizens, was a throwaway character, but apparently not. She got a grand total of one scene in this volume. I'm assuming she'll play a larger part in the final volume, because otherwise her appearance in this volume was a waste of space.

I'll read Part 3 because I want to see how things turn out between the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation and what Aang chooses to do about Zuko. Unfortunately, I expect I'll be just as disappointed with it as I was with the first two parts.

Goodreads Rating Note: If I could, I'd give this 2.5 stars. I'm rounding up because it's on the "meh" side of disappointing.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
Review will be posted on the omnibus version. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 27, 2013 |
So I pretty much spent the entire comic yelling at Zuko for being an idiot, which is par for the course at this point. Toph, on the other hand? Toph is sheer perfection. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |

Yang, Gene LuenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
GurihiruIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
DiMartino, Michael DanteCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Konietzko, BryanCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Aang and Katara are working tirelessly for peace when an impasse between Fire Lord Zuko and Earth King Kuei over Fire Nation colonies within the borders of the Earth Nation threatens to plunge the world back into war! Meanwhile, Sokka must help Toph prepare her hapless first class of metalbending students to defend their school against a rival class of firebenders!" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible