The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken by…

The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (edition 2012)

by Tarquin Hall

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, mystery, india, december, 2012

The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken by Tarquin Hall

Hall manages to combine hilarity with a great history lesson. I love this series!
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Vish Puri is a private detective in Delhi. He's attending a celebration after a cricket match when the father of the head cricketer from Pakistan is murdered in front of him. Vish is hired to look into the death. He believes it's connected to match fixing in cricket but his mother believes the murder is connected to back when Pakistan and India became seperate countries. Vish is also investigating the theft of a championship moustache from someones face. The book was humerous in parts and I learned some about the seperation of Pakistan and India. My problem is there were too many characters and not much detail given on each. I found it hard to tell the suspects apart which made me not really care about the case. The book is also written somewhat in dialect which made parts of it difficult to understand. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in a Goodreads giveaway.

This was an enjoyable read. Mummy is definitely turning out to be my favorite character in this series. Hurrah for strong female characters, especially crafty old ladies!

The author has a talent for breaking up serious topics with quirky, humorous content. As far as I'm concerned, this doesn't lessen the importance of the serious topics, but helps keep the book in that "lighthearted mystery" genre. Both serious and funny topics are well handled throughout.

The only thing that really bothered me about the book was how Puri started digging into the affairs of the Indian crime underworld without any repercussions. Didn't he think of them targeting his family, for example? But I suppose in a feel-good mystery like this, focusing on the whodunnits and whys is more important than the harsh realities. ( )
1 vote Lindoula | Dec 27, 2015 |
The stories (A and B) intertwined perfectly together. Past and present merged. Vish Puri takes us into the belly of Delhi and we get a tiny piece of how life goes and how past history still has a hold on every day life. What I liked most about this third novel is that it taught me things I had no idea about, Partition history, and made me want to read more about it.

India's and Pakistan's history is shown by way of putting faces and people at the heart of it. I really liked it even if the whole cricket gambling thing was a bit over the top. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Jun 28, 2015 |
Third in series, Vish Puri, New Dehli private investigator investigates the suspicious death of a Pakistani man at a post-cricket match party.
These stories are humorous which is why I enjoy them. However, in this episode, Hall chose to weave some Indian history related to the Pakistani-Indian border wars of the 1940s. It really brings further depth to the story. Also, the culture that surrounds Indian and international Cricket play is brought to light. The mystery plot is above average, but the higher rating this time is for the character development of ancillary characters, the well woven historical aspect and the cultural high lights. ( )
  FMRox | Nov 5, 2014 |
The opening of Hall’s outstanding third mystery featuring PI Vish Puri (after 2010’s The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing) sets the tone nicely as Puri tinkers with the bathroom scale to prevent his wife, who refers to him as Chubby, from learning that he’s gained weight. Soon after, a representative of the Moustache Organization of Punjab (MOP) asks him to find the fiend who cut off half of the record-setting long whiskers of one of its members. This case fades as he looks into a more serious matter—the poisoning of a guest at a dinner following a high-stakes cricket match. A resourceful and dogged investigator, Puri follows a twisting trail that connects with corruption in the sport and illegal gambling. Well-drawn colorful characters bolster a whodunit sure to appeal to those who enjoy a dash of humor with their crime.
added by VivienneR | editPublisher's Weekly (May 21, 2012)

India’s Most Private Investigator faces threats from near and far as he grapples with the death of a Pakistani cricket-ace’s father.

The butter chicken served at the VVIP table of the Delhi Durbar Hotel promises to be most delicious. It also proves fatal. One bite and Faheem Khan keels over dead. Fortunately, one of the VVIPs is Vish Puri, invited with his wife and Mummy-ji by his nephew Rohan of the Delhi Cowboys to a post-match feast. His presence on the scene prompts Sir James Scott, working for the Indian Cricket Board, to hire him to investigate. Unfortunately, Faheem’s son Kamran, bowler for the Kolkata Colts, has gone back to Rawalpindi to mourn. So Puri, who had never met a Pakistani in person before the Khans, must travel across a most-feared border in pursuit of justice. His dread of being in Pakistan is soon replaced by the terror of learning that Mummy, who pretends to be on a mission to bury the ashes of Ritu Auntie’s late husband in the Ganges at the holy city of Haridwar, is actually investigating Khan’s death too. While Vish focuses on a point-shaving scheme as an obvious motive, Mummy zeroes in on her fellow VVIPs. But what could the elderly mother of Satish Bhatia, the Call Center King, or Mrs. Megha Dogra, wife of Ram Dogra, the Prince of Polyester, know about the murder of an elderly Pakistani?
added by VivienneR | editKirkus Reviews

For Ax and the childhood we spent together
Stripped down to his undergarments and tweed Sandown cap, Vish Puri stepped onto his wife's old set of bathroom weighing scales.

Mustachioed sleuth Vish Puri tackles his greatest fears in a case involving the poisoning death of the elderly father of a leading Pakistani cricketer, whose demise is linked to the Indian and Pakistani mafias and the violent 1947 partition of India.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 974 books! | Top bar: Always visible