Ink by Isabelle Rowan

3 ½ Stars

After seeing the beautiful cover and reading the blurb I knew I had to read this book. The blurb is very explicit, adding more to it will be giving too much away. Let me just tell you that Ink is one of those books you start to read with low expectations and along the way it surprise you when you find yourself completely submerged in the story.

One of the things I liked the most about Ink was the writing. Mrs. Rowen’s writing is very vivid and realistic, not only with the description of places but the way the characters feel and think, for that reason it was very easy to connect with them and feel what they were feeling. The loneliness and sadness of Dominic broke my heart, at the same time Michael’s optimism and fresher spirit made me believe in a possible happy future for him and Dominic.

I really liked the first half of the book, the events that happened up to when Michael and Dominic got together were the best part of the story, after that somehow the plot lost a bit its direction, don’t take me wrong it wasn’t bad, I just wanted to see more of Dominic and Michael’s relationship development and the adaptation of Michael to his new life next to Dominic. I would have preferred for them to explore that together without external factors and complications.

The secondary characters are few but very interesting, all bringing something important to the story, whether conflict, friendship or anguish. My favorite was Michael’s best friend Abby, she felt as an old soul, more mature and smarter than her age. I love how she was there for Michael every time he needed her, she always had good advice to give and never judge him for his actions.
Another interesting character was Galen, I wanted to hate him but it was impossible, he does what he does because he is a broken child in a man body, one who doesn’t know any better, actually I felt sad for him.

Another thing I really like about this book was the setting, not many books are set in Melbourne (Australia); usually vampire books are set in the U.S. or Europe, I found this new setting refreshing and interesting. Besides this, Ink is not your usual vampire book, Ink is a book about the value of love, friendships and what is to be human.
Even though I would have done without certain parts of the book I still enjoyed it a lot. Ink is written in easy-to-follow multiple POVs, this gave us a broader understanding of the characters and their situations.
Ink was my first book by Isabelle Rowan, as I said before I loved her writing style and I can guarantee you Ink won’t be my last book by her. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
3.5 stars. Interesting story about a vampire and a tattoo artist. I liked Michael and Dominic enough but the book didn't really pick up for me until about halfway through when Dominic's maker returns. (and by the end, I was more interested in Galen's character) ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
I chose not to rate this one as I couldn't make it past about 32% of the book. It just wasn't for me. The premise sounded good, and I enjoyed the first couple chapters that the sample provided. But the further I got into the book, the more annoyed I became and just decided to DNF it. Which is very rare for me. Typically if I start something I'm determined to finish it, but not this time. I actually returned it to Amazon, which is a first for me.

I'm not quite sure why, as I've read several insta-love stories in the past, but this one made me roll my eyes, repeatedly. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I don't know. Whatever it was, it just wasn't for me.
  .riley. | Sep 21, 2013 |
I will admit that the cover art was the first thing that drew me to this novel. I mean, how, I ask you, could I resist?

Next, the description intrigued me. Roman centurions, you say? Yes, please. Vampires? Lovely! Tattoos? I enjoy those... It sounded like it could be interesting. On the other hand, it also sounded like it had the potential to be a corny cliché-ridden disaster. Thankfully, what I found was a tastefully written novel that explores the nuances and nature of love, friendship and humanity through the story of a vampire romance.

If you're looking for an action-packed read, sexual or otherwise, this may not be the book for you. While there is certainly a main story line that introduces situational tension into the mix, Ink really focuses on and shines in the areas of character development and exploration of its main themes. Rowan writes descriptive prose that is able to bring the characters, locations and situations to life, without being overly wordy. The relationships between the characters feel real and their struggles personal. Consequently, though, the pace of the novel drags a bit, especially around the middle sections.

Although this is definitely a character- and relationship-driven book, it also heavily focuses on the nature of vampires and, by association, humanity. Ink explores questions like: Can vampires retain their humanity? What constitutes humanity? Can vampires have relationships with other vampires and humans that aren't about power? Can the essential nature of a vampire change over the vast expanse of their existence? Are vampires really so emotionally different from humans? In short, if you are not into vampires, you may find the whole thing boring.

Fortunately, I enjoy vampires. I was moved by the complex relationships between the novel's three vampires as well as between the vampires and their various human relations. I heartily hope that a sequel is in the works. ( )
  knitwick | Feb 6, 2012 |

Roman centurion Dominic drew his last human breath during the time of Hadrian. In the centuries since, he’s seen much of the world change around him, but the vampire finds himself held captive in Melbourne, Australia, by his fascination with young, passionate, fun-loving, and alive tattoo artist Michael Chapman. Unable to resist the lure of Michael’s beauty, Dominic finds himself entering the parlor to get a tattoo he knows will fade.

The attraction he feels only grows, and despite Dominic’s extreme reluctance to get involved with a human, he and Michael form a bond—a connection that all too soon attracts the attention of a dark specter from Dominic’s bloody past. Soon, a dangerous game of cat and mouse threatens not only the budding romance, but also their humanity.

This is an expanded novel based on the novella Ink originally published in the Desire Beyond Death anthology by Dreamspinner Press. [Dreamspinner]

Roman centurion Dominic drew his last human breath during the time of Hadrian. In the centuries since, he's seen much of the world change around him, but the vampire finds himself held captive in Melbourne, Australia, by his fascination with young, passionate, fun-loving, and alive tattoo artist Michael Chapman. Unable to resist the lure of Michael's beauty, Dominic finds himself entering the parlor to get a tattoo he knows will fade. The attraction he feels only grows, and despite Dominic's extreme reluctance to get involved with a human, he and Michael form a bond-a connection that all too soon attracts the attention of a dark specter from Dominic's bloody past. Soon, a dangerous game of cat and mouse threatens not only the budding romance, but also their humanity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible