Buried: A Goth Girl Mystery (The Goth Girl…

Buried: A Goth Girl Mystery (The Goth Girl Mysteries)

by Linda Joy Singleton

I really enjoy Singleton's writing, and I have a hard time keeping the Seer series on the shelves, so I was quite excited to see this spin off featuring Thorn from the Seer series. The book does not disappoint and manages to stand on its own if you haven't read the Seer series.
In buried, Thorn touchs a locket left behind after an audition and gets a vision of a dead body, which see eventually figures out is a dead baby. Now she is determined to figure out which of the people she sees almost daily is a baby killer. ( )
  JRlibrary | Apr 26, 2012 |
Thorn (nee Beth Ann) is a recent transplant to Nevada Bluff. She comes from a family of six kids where her Mom is a minister and her Dad is looking for work. Thorn is a goth (which her Dad just hates), and she is a “finder”. She is drawn to objects and when she touches them she gets psychic visions from them. Which is what happens at school one day.

Thorn finds a gold locket on a shoelace and it transports her to a remote area. With the help of another psychic friend she finds the remote area and what appears to be the skeleton of a baby. So who’s locket is it? Whose baby is it? How did the baby die? All these mysteries and many more, like the “grin reaper” are addressed in “Buried”.

This was my first Linda Joy Singleton book. I’ve had my eye on her Seer series for a while, but just haven’t had a chance to read it yet. After “Buried”, it’s moved up on my “to-read” list. This was a fun, fast read, one whose ending I didn’t totally see coming which was nice. So many mysteries out there you can predict the outcome in the first few chapters, and while I was on the right path, Singleton was able to slip in another option that hadn’t occurred to me. Singleton’s writing is the right amount of description and dialog and her dialog is sharp and witty. Just what I enjoy most!

I liked Thorn a lot. She was smart and snarky! For all her Goth looks, she isn’t Goth inside. She’s just a normal girl from a big family trying to find her way. I loved that her minister mother was so accepting of her, even when they did miscommunicate. And I was frustrated with her Dad for seeing her at only face value. I would have loved to know more about KC, Rune and Amerie. I’m hoping there will be more Goth Girl Mysteries and I can get to know them better…but mostly I want to see if something will develop between Thorn and Jay. I definitely loved Jay and want to see more of him. ( )
  psteinke1122 | Mar 7, 2012 |
For those of you who enjoy a fun mystery, Linda Joy Singleton's latest, BURIED, is definitely a good one to pick up. Following preacher's daughter and social misfit Thorn as she navigates the rough waters at her new small-town high school, where she's only met one other Goth -- her new bff Rune -- which is way different from her old school back in California. Of course, back in Cali she also had a friend who knew about her psychic ability. Thorn doesn't trust anyone in this town enough to spill those details -- even when she gets a vibe off of an old, cheap locket on shoelace. A vibe that leads her to believe something very bad has happened to someone.

Determined to find out the mystery behind the locket, and hopefully the owner, Thorn gets herself wrapped up her friend Amerie's school talent contest -- a singing competition to be judged by superstar and former student Phillipe. She hopes she'll be able to figure out who left the locket on stage and drop out before she actually has to perform -- her love for playing guitar and singing is another secret she'd like to keep for herself. But, of course, things to don't go as planned, and Thorn is soon wrapped up in something far more sinister than a sad story and a missing locket. And if she wants to avoid the sheriff's inquisition, she's going to have to find the owner for a whole new reason: to prove that she's not a killer.

A fast-paced story in what will be a cool new series, BURIED is one to check out for girls who miss the days who still idolize Nancy Drew and are yearning for a bit of high school sleuthing. Thorn is a fun character to follow, and surely her upcoming exploits will fill a niche in the YA mystery section on your bookshelf. ( )
  EKAnderson | Jan 5, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0738719587, Paperback)

A new paranormal mystery from award-winning author Linda Joy Singleton—featuring goth girl Thorn from The Seer series.

Thorn Matthews is a Finder, a person with the psychic ability to find things just by touching an object. The visions she gets from objects—events and memories—are what guide her to the things that need to be found.

When Thorn locates a mysterious locket, it leads to a shocking and grim discovery. Now she’s implicated in a crime and surrounded by people she’s just met at her new school, any one of whom could be hiding a terrible secret. To clear her name, Thorn reluctantly uses her music skills to enter a school talent competition, which she suspects is part of the killer’s cover. Could one of her new friends be a murderer?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Goth girl Thorn and her family move to Nevada where Thorn meets a mysterious masked young man and follows psychic vibrations from a locket to a shocking, long-buried secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,636,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible