Blood Heavy (Blood Heavy, #1) by SLJ Shortt

Blood Heavy (Blood Heavy, #1)

by SLJ Shortt

A robust and spicy flavored story that changed from the one the reader are used to browse this past years.
Sure there is some paranormal creatures but the context seems real and believable.
In this book, there's action, fightings mostly diluted between the verbal sparring matches from the different characters that are very, very funny.

The language used is very contemporary, sometimes with a lot of swear words. Do not be shocked, this is what gives the feeling of reality despite the supernatural. Some dialogues between Cassandra and Claire or Goosse and Jerry are real gems really well written by the author.

As for the story, the reader has no time to get bored. He is plunged into a whirlwind of adventures while following in the footsteps of Jerry and his friends. Friendship, family are very important themes as well as redemption.

Twists, fights, muscular guns and some blood splashed on walls are scenes worthy of a blockbuster movie. A special mention for the final battle... A more masculine novel that made me turn the pages eagerly.

Regarding the characters, they are all very endearing. Thanks to the colorful arguments between the vampire's sisters or the young smart ass psychic: Rachel. I admit I had low for Goose and his crazy hormones talk. A real treat!

In short, a very nice first opus with which you have a good time relaxing, reading. I can not wait to get my hands on the next one ...

Lucie
http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/2012/08/blood-heavy-by-slj-shortt.html ( )
  luciefuentes | Aug 19, 2012 |
Originally posted http://ufreview.com/2012/05/19/blood-heavy/

First things first, I received a copy of Blood Heavy from the Read it and Reap program on Goodreads, so thanks to the mods and the author for giving book junkies like me their fix. Secondly, this book was awesome!!!! I don’t review a lot of YA books because…well….*looks to see who is listening*…I hate YA. Yup you heard me I hate YA, teenage angst gets on my last nerve and YA romance bores me stupid and don’t even get me started on the characters…ugh. YA teenagers never drink, smoke have inappropriate sex or have any decent flaws making them interesting, angst aside. So when I read the blurb on this book I thought hmmmm maybe this one will be different. It was, it pushed all the happy buttons I have when reading urban fantasy.

The hero, Daniel (Jerry) Jericho is an orphan living with his uncle Joe aside from that he is pretty much your typical teen guy, into muscle cars and electronics, full of raging hormones and trying to make it through school without getting kicked out. After leaving a party with some friends Jerry is attacked by vampires. He learns of a whole supernatural world he had never believed in before. The action never stopped after this, both the good and bad vampires are after Jerry for his unique blood for their own ends. Jerry has no intention of being a bystander in the battle that follows.

I loved Jerry, he is snarky, sarcastic and loyal to the point of being suicidal. He is also surrounded by a great cast of supporting characters and enough weapons to invade a small country. He has a great group of friends from school that stick with him til the end and two beautiful vampire sisters tasked with protecting him, when they stop trying to kill each other. The vampires were what vamps are supposed to be scary, ruthless and vicious in reaching their goals, the bad ones that is. There was not sparkling to be found and the author managed to discretely throw in a couple of Twilight digs .

The author has said that he has been influenced by the TV show Supernatural, Joss Whedon from Buffy and Angel and the movie the Avengers. I can definitely see the Joss Whedon influences. It reminded me of both Buffy and Angel by the way Jerry and his friends interacted together, bith the TV shows and the book have a strong central character who relies heavily on his group of friends to help beat the bad guys. If you’re a fan of Joss Whedon and the vampire genre without the sparkles definitely give this book a go it was great. I will be grabbing book two asap! ( )
  ufreview | May 19, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,633,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible