Anatomy of a Kidnapping: A Doctor's…

Anatomy of a Kidnapping: A Doctor's Story

by Steven L. Berk

I got this through goodread's giveaways! Thanks.

I really, really enjoyed this book, as an aspiring doctor it provides very good insight into the life of Dr. Berk. The kidnapping story itself was also very interesting, a rather strange case if you ask me, so much so it's hard to think that it really happened, though it did.

But I'll still have to say the most interesting part of the whole book was Berk's history and experiences as a doctor a medical student. Highly recommended if you're interested in that sort of thing. ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |

Four hours. That was the amount of time between looking down the barrel of a gun and finding myself free along a silent highway lined by cotton fields. In the time period that seemed eternal, my unique experiences as a doctor created an indescribable bond between myself and my captor. I looked upon the situation just as I looked upon a medical emergency: I took a deep breath, hid my panic, and tried to solve the situation.

In March 2005, Dr. Steven Berk was kidnapped in Amarillo, Texas, by a dangerous and enigmatic criminal who entered his home, armed with a shotgun, through an open garage door. Dr. Berk's experiences and training as a physician, especially his understanding of Sir William Osler's treatise on aequanimitas, enabled him to keep his family safe, establish rapport with his kidnapper, and bring his captor to justice.

This harrowing story is not just about a kidnapping. It is a story about patients, about physicians, and about what each experience has taught Berk about life and death, mistakes, family, the practice of medicine, and the physician-patient relationship. It is a story about how Berk's profession prepared him for an unpredictable situation and how any doctor must address life's uncertainties.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

"Tells the story of Steven L. Berk, M.D., who was kidnapped from his home in Amarillo, Texas, in March of 2005. Shows how Berk used his experiences and training as a physician to survive the ordeal and bring his captor to justice"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,777,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible