Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby…

Getting Over Garrett Delaney

by Abby McDonald

It was cute, I enjoyed it. :) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
This is a great realistic coming of age novel with humor and a surprise rommance. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
I think it’s safe to say, a lot of us have been there. In love –or like- with our guy best friend. I know that was me in high school. LOL Not as bad as Sadie, but my best friend was that uber cool guy like the guys I’ve been reading in YA romances. I still reminisce fondly over the things we got into and the stuff we did. Can you say weekend trip to Amsterdam? One of the best times of my life, and he was there. *sigh*

Anyway, Sadie’s situation is different. She met Garrett when he first moved to their town when she was 14. He’s a year ahead of her in school and a year older. And she fell hard for him. She couldn’t believe someone as cool as him wanted to hang out with her. And when school started and he didn’t abandon her for cooler kids, she knew they were meant to be. So for two years Sadie was his best friend, even when he dated other girls. But now it’s the end of sophomore year and they’re off to go to a 6 week literary camp. Except Sadie doesn’t get accepted (she’s too young). And the night before he leaves, Garrett gives Sadie some mixed signals at a party. And so she thinks this is it, this is the summer where they’re finally together. But Garrett falls for someone else at writing camp and Sadie is devastated. She hits rock bottom. However, when her first attempt at Garrett detox fails and she backslides, that’s when she realizes there is something lower than rock bottom. LOL (That scene was mortifyingly funny.)

Now before you get your hopes up that Sadie gets over Garrett by falling for someone else, this is NOT a romance. This book is about Sadie’s path to self-discovery. She was so tied up in Garrett for two very formative years that without him, Sadie doesn’t even realize who SHE is. And with the help of new and old friends, Sadie is going to discover what she likes, who she is and the blinders will come off where Garrett is concerned. I liked these kinds of stories because it’s all about girl power – and that’s always a good thing. And it isn’t easy. Garrett has tentacles into every part of Sadie’s identity and there are a few defensive moments when her friends challenge her on things she thinks she likes. She realizes though that a lot of things she likes or doesn’t like is because of Garrett’s tastes. Sadie had it BAD. And I honestly liked that Sadie didn’t immediately latch onto another guy. That would not have been a good thing. Because she would have been like Julia Roberts’ Runaway Bride character when she liked whatever the guy liked. She needed to find out who she was first.

Don’t think that it turned her off from love though. It didn’t. Her friends also go through some relationship stuff where Sadie can see that love is not a bad thing. Losing yourself in another person is bad. But love is a wonderful thing. Getting Over Garrett Delaney was a cute and thoughtful book. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
You have to understand: I've been madly, hopelessly, tragically in love with Garrett Delaney for two years now - ever since the fateful day when I looked up from my list of the Top Ten Couples of All Time and saw him sauntering into the local coffeehouse.

her trademark wit and wisdom in a hilarious new novel.

Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly onesided. The object of her obsession - ahem, affection - is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie's
feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock
- all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder - until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl! A
heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized selfhelp

Can a twelve-step program help Sadie kick her unrequited crush for good? Abby McDonald serves up her trademark wit and wisdom in a hilarious new novel.

Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly one-sided. The object of her obsession — ahem, affection — is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie’s feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett’s constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock — all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder — until he calls to say he’s fallen in love. With some other girl! A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she’s finally had enough. It’s time for a total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized self-help guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:27 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Sadie Allen has spent the last two years pining for her best friend, Garrett, but when he heads off to literary camp for the summer without her, she decides to kick her unrequited crush for good, with the help of her co-workers, another boy, and her own summer twelve-step program.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible