Changing Diapers: The Hip Mom's Guide…

Changing Diapers: The Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

by Kelly Wels

Description: Finally, a book about modern cloth diapering that covers everything.

Topics covered:
- Why Choose Cloth Diapers?
- Basic Cloth Diaper Talk
- The Back-to-Work and Daycare Diapering Dilemma
- Daddies and Diapers
- Laundry: How to Wash Your Cloth Diapers
- Resources and more

Kelly Wels, a leading authority in the movement toward modern cloth diapering, has pulled the whole industry together to offer the best information on everything from what to buy, how to fit, and how to launder, to the health benefits for baby and the impact of diapers on the environment. Wels is a well-known powerhouse advocate and has become the main voice in the industry. The marketplace for this book is constant, as the US birthrate hovers over 4 million babies born per year and the word is getting out about the benefits of using modern cloth versus disposables. Wels is a continuous presence on her popular blogs and is often featured by other bloggers in the industry. When Wels talks, her audience listens, and her audience grows. She even received a Congressional Award for her work from Olympia Snow. These are not your mother s cloth diapers!

Thoughts: We loan this book out at work for new cloth diapering customers and I just happened to have some down time today as the mall has been DEAD, so I figured it was time I read this cover to cover. (I'm also totally freaking out that it's the first book I've read in almost a month... I even have book club in a week and haven't even picked up the book. This is soooo bad.)

You all probably aren't in need of the exact ins and outs of cloth diapering, so I'll just hit you with the interesting, big ticket ideas. I trot these out to potential customers every day and it never ceases to amaze people. Some of them were news to me and I've been around cloth diapers for years.

1. Cloth diapering your first child can save you $1500. That's including the cost of washing and drying the diapers. A decent CD (cloth diaper) stash is going to run you ~$300-500 depending on style and how often you plan to wash (we recommend every 2-3 days). Using disposable diapers will run you ~$2000. That's pretty huge. But then you add in the fact that you can reuse diapers for multiple children and you are looking at a potential savings of $5500 for three children. Don't plan on having more children? You can resell diapers really easily. In fact, if you go with a popular brand that changes it's patterns regularly, you may even make MORE money than you paid. I have personally seen used diapers in a desired print go for over $100... for something a kid already pooped in.

2. Cloth diapering is actually REALLY easy. Even easier than disposables if you factor in the numerous store runs to get diapers before you run out and the endless bags of diaper trash. Modern CDs are built like disposables, even though you can still get the kind your grandma would have used. If you can snap a snap or adhere Velcro, you can put on modern CDs. Seriously. No pins necessary, even if you go with grandma's favorite prefolds: now they make Snappis, which are super neat.

3. And that thing you are dreading: the poop. Firstly, it's super easy. You just buy a diaper sprayer that attaches to the toilet and spray the solid stuff away. Throw that rinsed diaper in the wet bag and don't think about it again until wash day. Also, did you know THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FLUSH THE POOP FROM DISPOSABLE DIAPERS TOO because it's illegal to throw away human feces?!?!?! I mean, once you think about it it makes sense, but who would have ever thought about it? Apparently anyone who read the diaper box because every single box has it printed right there on the side.

Add to these the ecological nightmare that is an estimated 27.4 BILLION DIAPERS EVERY YEAR being added to the landfill and the knowledge that these will take an estimated 500 YEARS to breakdown and the fact that disposable diapers contain a whole host of things that are questionably safe to have against your baby's skin and offgasing into their air supply 24 hrs a day for approximately 2-4 years and you can probably understand why I enjoy selling cloth diapers so much. And have already started buying my own stash of "fluff" for the mystical future children I am determined to have one way or another.

Highly recommend to anyone having kids, thinking about having kids, already have kids still in diapers. It's quick and fun and full of info.

Rating: 4.42

Liked: 4.5
Writing: 4.5
Content: 4
Authority: 5
Value: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/180103#4916967 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |

The proud recipient of GOLD in the Mom's Choice Awards!

A PTPA (Parent Tested Parent Approved) Winner!

Finally, a book about modern cloth diapering that covers everything.

Topics covered:
- Why Choose Cloth Diapers?
- Basic Cloth Diaper Talk

The Poop on Modern Cloth Diapering: An Introduction
- Don't Poo-poo It Until You Know More
- Why Listen to Me?
- Diaper Overload
- Who in the World Cloth Diapers Their Babies These Days?
- Join the Movement

1. Why Choose Cloth Diapers?
- Reason #1: It's Best for Baby
- Reason #2: You Can Save Big Bucks
- Reason #3: You Can Be Eco-Friendly
- Reason #4: Despite What You Think, Cloth Is Convenient
- Reason #5: Yes, Cloth Diapering Is Fun for Many Moms

2. Snappis, Doublers, AIOs, and Pockets: Understanding Basic Cloth Diaper Talk
- Cloth Diapering 101
- What You Need to Know about Cloth Diaper Fabrics

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:12 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,352,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible