Revenge is Sweet (Kali Sweet, #1) by Misty…

Revenge is Sweet (Kali Sweet, #1)

by Misty Evans

Revenge is Sweet is the first novel in the urban fantasy series Kali Sweet by award winning author Misty Evans. This adult-fiction offers an urban fantasy set in the windy city of Chicago. Filled with demons, vampires, witches and angels this fast-paced action packed novel keep me on the edge of my seat.

The protagonist is Kali Sweet. She is a kick-ass demon who works for the Bridge Council. They are responsible for keeping supernatural creatures in check and protecting innocent humans. I absolutely adore Kali. She is tough, smart and incredibly resourceful. She fights danger head on, but does everything in her power to protect life. She has been around, some of her back history involves the year 1920. She has surrounded herself with a great group of friends and I liked all the individual characters. The men around her, all seem to be protective of her. They respect her and are probably a little in love with this snarky little warrior. While she is bound from seeking revenge for herself, she can seek it for others and her skill set is exceptional. Her feisty attitude and sensitive heart make her a powerhouse in the butt-kicking department. Throughout the novel, Evans hints of untapped powers and that Kali is very unique. I am very excited to see her growth in upcoming novels. In the relationship department, it is very obvious (though she would flat out deny it) that her heart belongs and always will to the man who broke it approx. 300 years ago…. Radison Beaumont. Rad is a half-demon and hasn’t seen Kali in almost 300 years. From the beginning it is apparent that he still loves Kali, that he is suffering from some kind of guilt and that what Kali thinks occurred back in 1920, isn’t the full story. I fell in love with this sexy, romantic chaos demon and cannot wait to watch more of their story unfold.

In this tale, Kali’s job for the council gets her in trouble when she has a run in with the Chicago vampire leader. She ends up taking him out and finds herself with three blood slaves…one of them is Rad. The tale that unfolds, finds her in danger, as a witch hires her to do an impossible task. This witch has escaped from Hell and failing could mean Kali’s death. The council is making demands and everyone wants her dead. With her partner Cole and her friends help, she is determined to set things right. Rad, despite her protests, stays close by her side. Oddly he ends up helping a lot and the more she listens to him, the more she wonders about the events causing their break-up. I consumed this in a few hours and loved every minute of it. My only complaint was the abrupt ending. I didn’t see it coming and it left me unsatisfied and wanting more. It wasn’t a cliffhanger but it left me with enough teasers that I truly wanted to scream.LOL

Evans creates a world that had my heart skipping. Her tale is tightly woven and its clear she knows this world and its characters intimately. I liked the hierarchy of the vampire world. The characters that run the different districts were delightfully entertaining. The corruption reminded me of the mob as everyone shuffles for more power. The Bridge council and its leader intrigued me. They ask Kali to do something unusual, and I cannot help but wonder what their ulterior motive is. They claim it’s for the good of all...but I have a niggling feeling they know more about who and what Kali really is then she does. The characters had depth and I loved their back history. Even the minor characters were unique and I felt invested in them. We briefly meet a few interesting angels and witches. I am excited to see if they will play a more integral role in the series. Evans portrayal of two very well known angels had me grinning from ear to ear. The chemistry between Rad and Kali was intense and their raw emotions seemed to rise up from the pages and engulf me. While this is mainstream fiction, there were some hot and steamy scenes.(mostly implied) Evans did a great job of making their relationship and the tension believable. I felt for both of them and got swept up in their tale.
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |

kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |
This is not my first Misty Evans novel. I was first introduced to her books through her Super Agent series, which is really amazing. When she asked if I might want to read and review her paranormal novel, I was more than happy to oblige.

The author definitely knows how to create some amazing and detailed characters. Kalina Dolce, or Kali Sweet as she is now known, is a tough woman who doesn't take crap from anyone. Oh, and she just so happens to be a vengeance demon who works for an organization that keeps other paranormal beings at bay. As was detailed in the synopsis, she has to deal with many different problems in this book, but I don't think any of them compare to the conflict caused by the many men in her life. First there is Radison; he and Kali were once engaged, but he never showed up to their wedding. As Kali learns more about Rad and the situation surrounding their almost-marriage, it only causes more conflict. Then there's Cole, a fellow demon who works for the Bridge Council with Kali. He acts as her bodyguard a lot of the time, even though I'm positive she could hold her own. Her boss at the Bridge Council, Damon, is mysterious and hard to figure out at times. I found myself constantly evaluating his motives. Finally there is Alexandru, or Dru for short, who just so happens to be a vampire. Although he isn't introduced until towards the end, and Kali doesn't seem extremely drawn to him (she's not particularly fond of vampires), I found him to be an interesting character who isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes is right.

Let's discuss these men a little further. It's hard to say who is exactly right for Kali. Just when I thought I had picked a favorite, one of the other guys would do something that put me on their side. Radison is an obvious choice for her. They have so much history, although much of it is tainted with ill feelings. I think there is still more to him that we haven't seen yet and underneath everything he really does care for her. Cole very obviously wants Kali to himself and that doesn't go completely unnoticed by her, but she's still evaluating her feelings for Radison. I feel that Cole has a spot in her heart though and I am predicting that he will play a bigger part in her personal life in the future. I was conflicted about Damon. At times it seemed like he had real feelings for Kali, but I couldn't be sure. He could just as easily have been manipulating her in order to better control her. For me, the jury is still out on his real motives. Last but not least there's Dru. I fell in love with him pretty quickly; he's quite the gentleman, if you can get past the fact that his father is Vlad, the ruthless leader of the vampires. He's certainly someone I would want in my corner, though, because he seems so loyal and genuine. I guess we'll have to wait and see which direction Kali's heart leads her.

I absolutely adored the story line in this book. It's hard to stand out in a world full of paranormal novels, but somehow this one managed it. The story line captured my attention from the beginning and kept it until the very last page. There was a lot of different things going on at once, but it never got confusing or frustrating. It just made it that much harder to put down at the end of the day.

If you're a fan of the paranormal genre, or even if you're not, I think there's a little something in this book for everyone. There is some romance involved, but I wouldn't say that it is the focal point. From the incredible characters to the intriguing story line, this is a book that you won't want to put down once you've started. I'm proud to say I have a new favorite series and I can't wait to see what the author has in store next for Kali. ( )
  JamesterCK | May 17, 2012 |
Ok complete cover honesty. I don't like it, Its blah, makes REVENGE IS SWEET look like it will be super corny and I would have never picked up the book to read the blurb if I saw it sitting on a shelf. Luckily for me I joined the book tour and decided to bypass the cover and read it anyways.

Everyone knows I like snarky ladies and Kali is snarky, has an attitude, doesn't take crap and knows how to kick @ss. She ends up being more then meets the eye. It was hard not to like Rad (Radison) even though he left Kali at the alter, he complemented Kali well and they worked well together when they allowed themselves to bypass their issues with each other. I also enjoyed the secondary characters they did a great job of rounding out the story. I enjoyed the world that Misty created. I could totally see myself in it among all the witches, vampires, demons, etc, etc. The story flowed well and a lot happened between the chapters. There were some great twist and turns thrown in. I have not read any of Misty's other books but I guess a few characters in REVENGE IS SWEET are in another of her series so I might have to check them out. The ending leaves you wanting to read more of the story so I hope Misty does another book tour that I can jump into. I'm glad I gave the book a chance despite the cover. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Dec 16, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible