Sky Dragons by Anne McCaffrey
193361,059 (3.39)5
Recently added bycheriker, marnifisher, Pebblesgmc, LittleRed1966, private library, CorinasQuill

It’s funny. I’ve only read three books that have to do with Pern: A collection of the original trilogy, the novella that appeared in Legends II, and Sky Dragons, the last Pern story to be touched by McCaffrey prior to her death in 2011.

Having only read the series at a dragons-eye view, I must say that while there is nothing that particularly grabs me about the Pern stories, they are nevertheless enjoyable to read.

In Sky Dragons, we are presented with a makeshift weyr, which, as time passes (both ways, since this is Pern), they must build up enough dragons to help stop the next wave of Thread.

As far as Pern books, this seems pretty standard fare. It seems the biggest driving factor within this book are the characters, as otherwise, it struck me as “yet another Pern book,” based on my impression of what “yet another Pern book” would be like. I think that it’s this reason why I never really got into Pern. My impression is that all Pern stories are about dragons, Thread, and going between. Ultimately, that leaves very little to drive the story other than the characters. And I wouldnt’ want to invest in a series of books just for character development.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the book. I’ll admit that I may be way off when it comes to what’s between the books I’ve read. I’m sure that if it’s such a popular series, the characters can’t be the only reason. Nevertheless, I never got into them.

If you are an established Pern fan, I probably don’t need to tell you to read this book. If you are a newcomer to the series, while I don’t recommend you start here, I do think that one could approach this book with a more basic understanding of Pern and get a decent read at the same time. ( )
  aethercowboy | Aug 16, 2012 |
Final book in the series Todd McCaffrey co-authored with his mother Anne, Sky Dragons brings the series to a triumphant conclusion, saving Pern once more. While a Pern addict like myself can get her fix of dragon/human interaction, the whole series is convoluted and muddled. Characters are introduced, then dropped, then reintroduced in later books without much explanation. The time-travel elements are very confusing, evidently to the characters as well as the reader. If you haven't read any of the Pern books, don't start here. Start with Dragonsong, followed by Dragonsinger, IMO the very best of the Pern books. ( )
1 vote 4fish | Jul 11, 2012 |
I received this book from Netgalley (an uncorrected proof)

At the end of Dragon’s Time the plague and sickness are over but there are few dragons and riders left, Sky Dragon’s starts where that one left off, sort of, at first it is a little off putting because they don’t tell the story of how they came to be where they are till later.

For the main part of the book we have some familiar folks, and some new faces but I do believe Todd & Anne have set us up for a new story arc that I am sure Todd will finish on his own after the sad death of his mother Anne McCaffrey, I for one am very glad that Pern will not end!

I must admit this one did move a little slow for me, it’s not the strongest Pern novel out there but still a good story more about characters than action although there is action. Since the big story arc about the sickness ended in the last book this one is about rebuilding Pern before threadfall. This small group of dragonriders becomes a dysfunctional family as they fight and love to save Pern.

I did enjoy this book and am curious to see where it goes from here. I will purchase the completed book when it comes out to see what correction/updates have been made to it.

If you are a fan of Pern of course you should read this and if you’ve never read any of the Pern books why not??What are you waiting for??This is a wonderful series!

3 ½ Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Apr 9, 2012 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCaffrey, Toddmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Janis Ian
This was not how it happened.

From the New York Times bestselling mother-and-son team of Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey comes the final installment in the riveting Pern saga that began with Todd’s solo novel, Dragonsblood. Now, with all of Pern imperiled by the aftereffects of a plague that killed scores of dragons and left the planet helpless against the fall of deadly Thread, the only hope for the future lies in the past. There, on an unexplored island, a group of dragonriders led by Xhinna, a brave young woman who rides the blue dragon Tazith, must battle lethal Merows and voracious tunnel-snakes to build a safe home for themselves and the dragons, whose offspring will one day—if they survive—replenish Pern’s decimated dragon population. But as the first female rider of a blue dragon, and the first female Weyrleader in the history of Pern, Xhinna faces an uphill battle in winning the respect and loyalty of her peers . . . especially after an unforeseen tragedy leaves the struggling colony reeling from a shattering loss. Amid the grieving, one girl, Jirana, blessed—or cursed—with the ability to foresee potential futures, will help Xhinna find a way forward. The answer lies in time . . . or, rather, in timing it: the awesome ability of the dragons to travel through time itself. But that power comes with risks, and by venturing further into the past, Xhinna may be jeopardizing the very future she has sworn to save.

Xhinna, the first female Weyrleader, and her group of young dragonriders struggle to rebuild the decimated dragon population and protect the world from a deadly alien spore by collecting dragon eggs and protecting baby dragons from predators and saboteurs.… (more)

82 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible