dismiss

The colour of London

by W. J. Loftie, Yoshio Markino (Illustrator)

Other authors: Marion H. Spielmann (Introduction)

1211,228,659 (3.5)None
Originally published in 1914. This volume from the Cornell University Library's print collections was scanned on an APT BookScan and converted to JPG 2000 format by Kirtas Technologies. All titles scanned cover to cover and pages may include marks, notations and other marginalia present in the original volume.… (more)

The illustrator Yoshio Markino's opinion of his contribution to The colour of London, and recollection of the launch, in his broken English:

"The Colour of London" was published on May 8, 1907, and at the same time I had an exhibition of my original pictures at Clifford Gallery in Haymarket. On the opening day so many prominent peoples came. I was so shy, and I kept myself so small at one corner whole morning. But they began to flatter me and pet me. Only too kind of them to do so with such horrid works. Anyhow, I got some courage at last to face with all the visitors. I was surprised of myself on getting so bold.

Many flattering letters were pouring upon me, and I was invited to teas, dinners, theatres, and clubs. His Majesty the King so graciously accepted a copy of "The Colour of London."

Yoshio Markino, A Japanese artist in London (1910), pp. 147-148.
  Cynfelyn | Jul 17, 2015 |

Loftie, W. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Markino, YoshioIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Spielmann, Marion H.Introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,176,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible