21st Century Dodos: A Collection of…

21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)

by Steve Stack

READ IN ENGLISH

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

I couldn't resist a book that has 'dodo' in the title and features one on the cover. It's a collection of short entries about 'endangered things'.

I think this is book that's best for people who are a bit older than I'm and preferably British, as there are some chapters on British shops and television. However, even if you weren't alive in the '80s nor British, in other words, just like me, you'll probably enjoy this book.

I was planning on just searching the interesting chapters, but ended reading everything. The writing was very nice and sometimes even funny. I would recommend however to not read everything in one go, as it shows that not everything is written on the same moment and there's some repetition between certain pieces. But overall, very enjoyable. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
A British-skewed humour book that could probably be enjoyed by other people too, at least in part. It's a compendium of objects and concepts on the verge of going extinct (or already long gone) in our modern life: mix tapes, dial telephones, milkmen, Opal Fruits, half-day closing, 10p mixed bags of sweets, chocolate cigars, Smash Hits magazine, Woolworths... Things I don't remember at all, things I must have only ever come into contact with as a tiny child, perhaps at my grandparents', and things that lasted all the way into my early teens and beyond and now wear the rosy halo of nostalgia for me too. Lovely. ( )
  elliepotten | Apr 1, 2016 |
a fun read for sure.
makes me feel like a dodo myself, since I remember almost all of the items described in this book. It's a fun ride along nostalgia lane, where you feel a little twinge of sadness for things gone by the wayside, a chuckle at the funny way they are explained, and then a sigh of relief that some of them have gone the way of the dodo bird. ( )
  katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |

This title presents a fond farewell to the many inanimate objects, cultural icons and general stuff around us that find themselves on the verge of extinction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible