The Turn of the Screw [Case Studies in…

The Turn of the Screw [Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism] (1898)

by Henry James, Peter G. Beidler (Editor)

The Turn of the Screw is the story of a young governess who believes she sees ghosts while she is caring for the master's young children.

I had always avoided gothic novels in the past, but I now understand the draw. The Turn of the Screw had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I couldn't put it down! ( )
  MMWiseheart | Dec 31, 2011 |
I enjoyed the commentary about Henry James much more than the actual novel. ( )
  CynthiaBelgum | Jan 31, 2010 |
What a strange strange story. I seem to be reading a lot of them lately. Another shorter tale of a governess coming to a house that has a spooky history and trying to save the lives of herself and the children. Easy to read in one sitting/day despite its obscurity. After getting a couple chapters in the story started to become more clear and interesting. Although, at the end, I was still curious and felt I could have used more information.
  blondierocket | Jun 28, 2009 |
Great book if you want to learn something about criticism. The ending can be read many different ways, and it leaves you guessing.

I thought this book was going in a different direction than it did. I really thought that the children were evil, but everyone else in my class thought the nanny was (just goes to show you my favorite genre...). ( )
1 vote lalaland | Mar 5, 2009 |
This is one of the few books I was required to read for my Literary Analysis class that I actually liked. It was spooky in all the right places and I loved the fact that it never actually told you whether the ghosts were real or if she was crazy.
  megaden | Mar 25, 2008 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beidler, Peter G.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism" edition. Please do not combine with "The Turn of the Screw" as it includes additional essays and material.

This volume presents the text of the New York Edition of James’s classic 1898 short novel along with critical essays that read The Turn of the Screw from contemporary reader-response, psychoanalytic, gender, and Marxist perspectives. An additional essay demonstrates how several critical perspectives can be combined. As in the first edition, the text and essays are complemented by biographical and critical introductions, bibliographies, and a glossary of critical and theoretical terms. Two of the six essays are new to the second edition, as is a selection of cultural documents and illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:50 -0400)

This volume presents the text of the New York Edition of James's classic 1898 short novel, along with documents that place the work in historical context and critical essays that read The Turn of the Screw from several contemporary critical perspectives. The text and essays are complemented by biographical and critical introductions, bibliographies, and a glossary of critical and theoretical terms. In this third edition, a new section details in unique depth the revisions James made from the serialized Colliers Weekly edition to the New York Edition. New documents and illustrations enhance the historical contexts section, and new psychoanalytic essay with a Lacanian perspective appears in the section of contemporary criticism. --from publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,398,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible