Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files Vol. 1 by…

Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files Vol. 1

by John Wagner

Other authors: Massimo Belardinelli (Illustrator), Brian Bolland (Illustrator), Joe Collins, John Cooper (Illustrator), Carlos Ezquerra (Illustrator)12 more, Gerry Finley-Day, Robert Flynn, Ian Gibson (Illustrator), Kevin Gosnell, Alan Grant (Author), Peter Harris, Charles Herring, Mike McMahon (Illustrator), Pat Mills (Author), Malcolm Shaw, Ron Turner (Illustrator), Bill Ward (Illustrator)

Series: Judge Dredd, Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files (02-60)

I really enjoyed the recent 'Dredd' movie, so I figured I'd dig up the original comics. Unfortunately, I found the early issues not very entertaining, and overall rather generic "hero comic" stuff. It reminded me again of why I don't dig DC/Marvel superhero stuff.

This isn't exactly awful, but it just doesn't hold my attention, and between all the meaningless action, the best I could hope for was a lukewarm one-liner. The later issues are supposed to be better, but I'm not expecting I'll love those either, really. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
I've been reading Judge Dredd on and off since the 1980s when I could get the reprint books and then Eagle Comics in comic and second hand bookstores.

It was nice to see a lot of early material I hadn't seen. I had to get about a fourth of the way through to find familiar material: "The Return of Ricco" with Judge Dredd's bad brother.

Yes, Dredd's one-liners got grimmer and funnier later on and there were a lot more Dredd thought balloons in these stories than I'm used to. The crimes in Mega City 1 aren't as bizarre as later on.

But you do get some key Wagner-Bolland collaborations.

Presentation-wise, I liked the earlier, larger reprints on better paper (Titan Books was the publisher, I believe.) And some of the big spreads are obscured by the spine crease, but all the stories in order makes up for it, and I'll be checking out future installments. ( )
  RandyStafford | Jan 15, 2017 |
Going back to the original source material can really change your perspective on a character - without doing so you might never know about Judge Dredd's stereotypical Italian lady landlord, his lisping robo-butler Walter the Wobot (who even lisps in his writing?!?) his brother Rico, his adventures fighting the Ape Mafia or his stint as Judge of the Moon. None of which I made up. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Sort of fun, but not up to par for the series. This is before it really had solid footing, or even specific purpose or character set. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
A good intro to the Dredd series and all that is Mega City-1. This was written in the 1970s and it reads like it. It shows some its age but I think that adds some much needed charm to the story. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |

Mills, PatAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shaw, Malcolmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Turner, RonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ward, BillIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This series presents all of future lawman Judge Dredd's adventures in chronological order.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible