Ashes by Estevan Vega

I received this book in exchange for a honest review. ~WaAr~

The second installment to the Arson trilogy is AMAZING! The author does a wonderful job continuing the action packed, and suspenseful story. I just want to say OMG! The story is left on a cliffhanger. I'm left wanting more and trying to think about what is going to happen. You will fall in love with the characters and be waiting anxiously for the last installment! This book contains romance, action, suspense, horror, and mixed with some supernatural. It is a wonderful YA READ. I can't wait to read more from this amazing author who writes with passion. I look forward to great things from him!

The book starts up 3 months after it left off in Arson. Emery's parents are trying to cope and still trying to find her. Emery and Arson are going through Heck at the Salvation Asylum, which is where the government funds experimentation on people. It seems that everyone has ulterior motives behind their action, especially the government and doctors. What is so special about Emery, Arson, and Adam? What links them together? Will Arson and Emery find a way back toward each other? I give this book a 5 star review since it won't let me give any higher! :) This is a MUST MUST READ! ( )
  Merisha_Abbott | Aug 1, 2013 |
This book total blew me away. While the first book was really a set up for this Ashes, Ashes gave me a whole new reading experience! The plot line, new characters, and a great back round history that left me begging for more.
One thing I enjoy in books is the back round history to the characters. In Arson, the reader got bits and pieces of Arson's past but not really a full explanation. Ashes, gave the reader the history I was dying to know. Who where Arson's parent? How did he come by this ability? Are there more others out there just like him? I love that Mr. Vega gave such a fulfilling history to the characters that the reader has no choice but to turn the pages faster and faster!

Another great twist to this book are the new characters. Yes, characters that bring up a whole new world to question!! I for one, was super excited to read more about these characters. And the secrets! WOOHOO! This book left me hanging off the edge of my seat. I don't want to say any more less I spoil it.

Now there are several ongoing love interest here. Some I expected as others really surprised. There were characters doings that I didn't like but felt it played out well with the story line. I really like how Mr. Vega kept the story going on with lots of plot twist and turns. Nothing in this book ever gets boring. It just keeps on getting better and better.

Take my word for it and read this series. I can tell you that Arson is a build up story to Ashes which leaves a burning impression on your hands. Yes, the book is that hot. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Dec 20, 2011 |
If you've followed my reviews for the past few months, then you know how much I loved Arson. And when I thought that there was no way to improve on such an amazing story, Vega has decided to go and prove me wrong in Ashes. It's darker, grittier and so much more than what I expected it to be. Plus, it had just enough detail and reference to Arson that it was a slice of cake to delve right back into Arson's world.

One of the first things that I noticed in this book is that we get to know Arson a lot better, both past and present. He's always been a character of interest, but that's taken to a whole knew level in this book. Not only do you get to know him more, but you empathize with him so much that you feel everything that he feels and experience everything that he goes through right with him.

Of course, Emery is also back and you witness what she goes through as well. Both she and Arson go through a lot, not only physically but mentally as well - all while not knowing what has happened to each other. We're also introduced to a new character, Adam, who promises to get Emery out of the facility.

The POV changes a lot through the story. However, where most stories would get confusing and difficult to follow, Estevan writes the perspective changes so well that switching is as easy as counting 1-2-3. It doesn't take you out of the story at all. On the contrary, it adds more layers to the story so we can see how everyone is effected by Arson and Emery's disappearance from their own lives and their entrance into Salvation Asylum. As we advance in the story, we not only learn more about the characters but also about the true purpose of the Asylum. The ending will both leave you breathless and longing for even more of Arson's world.

Like his other stories, Vega's description and detail in this book are so vivid that you feel as though you've dived right into the dark world that he has created. Every page is chock full of amazing storytelling that keeps you flipping from beginning to end - hanging on to the very end of your seat the entire time. ( )
  missyreadsreviews | Nov 29, 2011 |
Locked away with little or no hope of escaping both Arson and Emery are trapped in an asylum that has them questioning their sanity. Is any of it real? And is there any hope that either of them will see each other again? As Arson discovers more fully who he is and what he’s meant for his story becomes one that could affect not only his small family and Emery, but the world as well.

Ashes is exactly the kind of book I would have read in my teens. This may shock some of you, but as a teen I read primarily horror novels. From Anne Rice to Richard Matheson to HP Lovecraft and more, there was hardly a horror book I left alone. As a teen there was no such thing as young adult fiction and I basically read whatever my Dad had & recommended. It worked out great because we shared quite a few of the same interests in books and music. Enter today’s standards and I’m sure the books I read back then wouldn’t make the YA cut. Which brings me to the dilemma with Ashes, is it YA or adult fiction? In my personal opinion I’d easily recommend it to a mature teen who loves a good scary paranormal read, but in that same vein I’d also hand it to an adult horror reader as well. I think that applies to quite a bit of YA fiction, but in the case of horror YA maybe even more so. I’d hate for a reader to turn Ashes down because they thought it was not in the right “category”.

As for the story…it was just as I remembered with Arson, full of action and great characters. This being the second book in the series I was personally looking forward to getting to know both Emery and Arson better and seeing where their relationship went after their abduction at the end of the first book. That certainly happened, but what I didn’t expect was the additional characters including Emery’s parents, Lamount, Adam, Saul Hoven and many more. The addition was great in terms of plot twists and the future of the series, but at times I did wish there were only one or two narrators instead of four or five. Besides that, the story was amazing and I loved the idea of placing much of the story in an asylum. Very creepy indeed.

Ashes, the second novel in the Arson series by Estevan Vega, is packed full of action, plot twists and of course a creepy setting. Vega is a fantastic new voice in the world of horror fiction and one that readers will thoroughly enjoy. With the fate of the world at stake I’m eager to see where Adam will lead Arson, if either is truly hoping to save the world and of course who will get the girl in the end. This is a series to watch for and I’m excited to continue reading it as soon as the next book is released!

My original review was posted at There's A Book. ( )
  the1stdaughter | Nov 24, 2011 |
ASHES, by Estevan Vega, is the thrilling sequel to the Arson series that will keep your eyes and hands glued to the pages. We pick up right where Arson left off, where Arson and Emery are trapped in a strange facility that seems to be doing experiments on supernatural occurrences in humans. Along with following Arson and Emery's stories, Vega artfully jumps from character to character to give the reader a wide look on this phenomenal and unique story.

It's hard to believe how young Vega is when reading his stories. His vision not only covers the teen characters but expands to the adult characters with ease. We not only read about what the two main characters are feeling throughout their ordeal, we also see the ripple effect of their disappearance in other characters. I really liked the story between Emery's parents and getting to understand the motivations of the scientists in the Sanctuary. The swift POV changes were really fantastic to read.

I liked getting the detailed story of Arson's birth and how that affected him while in the Sanctuary. Vega slowly unraveled this story and towards the end turned it into something unexpected but really awesome. Overall, fans of the series will not be disappointed and I'm excited to read more from Vega.
  sithereandread | Oct 18, 2011 |

More than three months have passed since Arson and Emery were taken. Taken and then separated. And experimented on. Salvation Asylum is more like a prison than a psychiatric facility. Unknowingly, Arson has become a vital instrument in a campaign set to genetically alter mankind. Enraged, confused, trapped, and unable to fully manifest his abilities, he wonders if he will ever see Emery again. His new existence is one crawling with questions. Is Grandma alive? Where does the fire come from? Can he become more than a monster? In Ashes, book two of the ARSON series, nightmare and reality collide as Arson must embrace what he is and the haunting realization that there may be others out there, others like him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,352,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible