Here by Denise Grover Swank

I loved this story. It reminded me of the tv show Fringe but better. I can't wait to read the next book. ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
I was a little unsure of where this story was going at first, not having read the blurb about the book to even have a clue what it was about. I was thinking that perhaps Evan was an alien from another world or something. Well, I wasn't TOO far off. Evan has come from an alternate dimension in which the Cold War did release a nuclear bomb. Evan's world is bleak, dark, and damaged. The two worlds collide in a weird set of coincidences, and in Evan's world, Julia dies, while in her world, her best friend, Monica, dies. In Julia's world, she blames herself for her best friend's death, but when this new Evan shows up and he explains what happened, it seems less likely that she was at fault.

The story is certainly different, and kept me interested. The one flaw I found was when Even was trying to explain how his world could be one way, and her's another. It didn't jive with me, and seemed more like a contradiction. On page 227 of the ebook version, "He shrugs. 'Every time you face a choice, or something happens, the opposite happens in another universe.'"

Well, if that is true, then how did her parents end up together in BOTH realities? Wouldn't they have made a different choice in one?

"It's usually parallel though, because once the choice is made, the universe splits. Let's say you get a job offer. In the original universe, you decide to take the offer. But in the universe that splits off, you don't. It's like the universe divides, kind of like cell division. In mitosis, the cells split with identical DNA. With the universes, they split identically too, just the opposite result of the action that created the divide. Obviously this means there are an infinite number of universes."

Again, doesn't seem right to me... AND, which is the ORIGINAL universe? Anyway, the author's explanation seemed to contradict itself, which I didn't care for... other than that, I enjoyed the romantic love knot Julia found herself in with Reese and Evan, although when I first met Reese, his character was almost so much like Evan's in the way that he sounded (his demeanor and comfort with her), that I had to remind myself it was a new boy.

I'll probably try to get the next book in the series, from the library. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
A really strange love triangle and a cliffhanger ending, two of my biggest pet peeves, but somehow it worked. I'll definitely be reading the second in this series. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
I liked this book, and think it was very well written. I would give it a 3 1/2 stars. The first few chapters were very full of emotion, and it was enthralling. I thoroughly enjoyed the sci-fi aspect of it. Granted, this is a YA book, but I feel the age range is truely for middle school students. If you are looking for a quick read, and awesome love triangle I would recommend this book. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |

Hilarious read for juniors as Keith tries to change his mum and dad. Sequel to ?orry worts'.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible