BZRK by Michael Grant

BZRK (edition 2012)

by Michael Grant (Author), Mariëtte van Gelder (Translator), Erwin van Wanrooy (Designer)

Series: BZRK (1)

3321933,233 (3.45)3
Member:connie53
Title:BZRK
Authors:Michael Grant (Author)
Other authors:Mariëtte van Gelder (Translator), Erwin van Wanrooy (Designer)
Info:Houten Unieboek/Het Spectrum 2012; 294 p.
Collections:Your library, gelezen, 2012 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen, FF-Challenge 2012, 2012 gelezen
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Yaffie, Robots

BZRK by Michael Grant

English (17)  Dutch (2)  English (19)
Probably a 3 1/2 star rating. Good story but a lot of times I was bogged down by all the nano/macro dual perspective and it confused me. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
This is a book that I've had on my TBR pile for a really long time, once I saw it I bought it immediately. After reading Grant's Gone series, he quickly became one of my favourite YA novelists, and I was excited to read anything else by him. With these high expectations, I began reading this novel.
Unfortunately almost from the beginning I knew this wasn't going to be as good as Gone, apart from being a completely different premise (and genre to a degree) it was completely different in terms of the speed of the plot, and the development of the characters. I know I shouldn't compare these two series, as they are completely different, but I couldn't help but feel disappointed by this offering by Grant.
The novel got off to a slow start, despite it being quite an action-packed beginning, I struggled to feel drawn in by the action I was reading, or feel anything for the characters involved. The whole novel continued on in this vein, it didn't have any page-turning aspect to it, and at times I really struggled to make it to the end!
Also this novel is chock full of technical jargon, both in a technological sense, and in a science/biological sense. Some of the anatomical information about the brain I already knew from my degree, but a lot of the technical jargon to do with the bugs the characters were controlling was so dense I had to skim over paragraphs of it to get to the story again.
However, one aspect of the novel I did like was the wide range of characters Grant had included in the novel. On both teams, there was a nice mix of diverse individuals, in terms or nationality, gender and sexuality. It made the novel feel a little more like real life, with the characters seeming more like people one might meet in real life.
Another aspect that redeemed the novel for me was the changing P.O.V within the novel. This was a very strong feature of the Gone novels, and Grant put it to good use in this novel too. The reader got the P.O.V of both groups, fighting against each other. This allowed for an interesting insight into the opinions and mindset of both groups, both thinking that they were the "goodies" and the other side the "baddies".
This blurring of the ideas of "good" and "bad" in the novel was an interesting part of this novel, I was never sure of either teams reasons for justifying their actions, or who was doing what in terms of good or bad.
If you're at all squeamish, I don't recommend this novel, it goes into extreme details about all the germs and other bacteria that live on the human body, and the other gross stuff!! This made me feel quite dirty and squeamish myself, and it's an aspect of the novel I could've done without reading.
Overall I gave this novel 3.5/5, because although I was disappointed by the delivery of this novel, it was a fascinating idea, with a nicely diverse group of characters. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I received a free pre-read copy of the Dutch translation of this book via www.ezzulia.nl. Thank you!

It took me so long to figure out BZRK is supposed to mean Berserk. (I saw that it is already stated in the English blurb; but in the Dutch one it wasn't). I just read it as letters and not as a word. I felt very stupid afterwards...

A war is going on, the only problem is, it's so small you can't see it. The two sides are using different types of nano-robots to control synaptic junctions in people's brain and thus control their actions (or so they explain it in this book; it's a fictional SF work, so I won't digress on the biological possibility and everything). And not just any person's brain, no, think politicians, UN members etc. Besides, they also fight on this nano level for control over certain people. This is extra tricky because some of the robots are linked to the actual people who control them and losing that robot will mean the controller goes Berserk...

This is a very action-packed, fast paced book. In other ways though, i was less similar to Michael Grant's popular Gone series. We still get many POVs (on both sides of the war) and a lot of plot lines are going on on the same time, but it didn't really feel as good though. Sometimes it felt a bit hasted, unrealistic and the ending was very chaotic. It's the start of a new series, and this book really ends on a cliffhanger (there is a short epilogue to make it possible to just read this book, but really, it doesn't answer the questions I had). So, basically, you'll have to continue the series. I haven't done so yet, but I'm planning on at least reading the second book, and see just how the story is going to develop.

Nice touch from my real life. I went to the University campus just a day or so after finishing this book and they had just placed new posters revealing that the new building they're building is going to be 'one of the world's leading state of the art centres in nano technology' xD Looking forward to it already. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Arghhh, four discs into it and I still don't understand what's going on! Eject! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
O! Dat is de weg naar waanzin; laat me die mijden.
Shakespeare, Koning Lear
Als waanzin overwint...
De auteur bedankt The Methadones en Shot Baker, twee fantastische bands, voor hun toestemming een aantal van hun songteksten te citeren.

Ik draag dit boek op aan Katherine, Jake en Julia
Op drie stoelen van Noah af zat een meisje tegen haar hand te praten.

Set in the near future, BZRK is the story of a war for control of the human mind.  Charles and Benjamin Armstrong, conjoined twins and owners of the Armstrong Fancy Gifts Corporation, have a goal:  to turn the world into their vision of utopia.  No wars, no conflict, no hunger.  And no free will.  Opposing them is a guerrilla group of teens, code name BZRK, who are fighting to protect the right to be messed up, to be human.  This is no ordinary war, though.  Weapons are deployed on the nano-level. The battleground is the human brain.  And there are no stalemates here:  It’s victory . . . or madness.

BZRK unfolds with hurricane force around core themes of conspiracy and mystery, insanity and changing realities, engagement and empowerment, and the larger impact of personal choice. Which side would you choose?  How far would you go to win?
--Google Books

In the near future, the conjoined Armstrong twins, under the guise of the Armstrong Fancy Gifts Corporation, plot to create their own version of utopia using nanobots, while a guerilla group known as BZRK develops a DNA-based biot that can stop bots, but at risk of the host's brain.… (more)

Michael Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,694,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible