BZRK by Michael Grant

BZRK (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Michael Grant (Author), Mariëtte van Gelder (Translator), Erwin van Wanrooy (Designer)

Series: BZRK (1)

Member:connie53
Title:BZRK
Authors:Michael Grant (Author)
Other authors:Mariëtte van Gelder (Translator), Erwin van Wanrooy (Designer)
Info:Houten Unieboek/Het Spectrum 2012; 294 p.
Collections:Your library, 2012 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen, gelezen, FF-challenge 2012, 2012 gelezen
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Yaffie, Robots

BZRK by Michael Grant (2012)

English (12)  Dutch (2)  All languages (14)
Exciting, fast-moving adventure with a science fiction twist. ( )
  Goldengrove | Feb 17, 2014 |
More of a techno-thriller than typical YA sf. It was gory and had excessive swearing in it. It didn't hook me and I just didn't see the point of continuing past page 66.
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
Action packed and adrenaline fuelled, BZRK is the first Michael Grant novel I've read, and all I can say is that I wish I hadn't waited so long!

My favourite aspect of this novel is definitely its grounding in nano-science, and the ways in which Grant makes the nano-world come alive. The descriptions of normal, often beautiful things, turns sinister when seen in the nano-scale, and it never failed to make me cringe and freak out. Eyes and skin are way scarier than I'd ever thought they'd be! I enjoyed the way the science is explained in the book through natural dialogue, without breaking up the action or making us wade through info-dumps. Grant doesn't fall into the pit of over explaining the science, as many science fiction writers are prone to do.

It's also refreshing to read a young adult novel that incorporates a complex plot and intelligent world-building. Too often I read books where authors have consciously written for a younger audience by over simplifying plot elements or glossing over the world-building.

I'd initially thought I wouldn't much like any of the characters in this book - they all seemed too different from me, I couldn't relate to them on any level. As I got to know them better, however, I found out that I have something in common with all of them, Sadie, Noah, even Vincent. I love Sadie, especially the way she cleverly and carefully navigates that thin line between amazing, tough heroine and over-competent, unbelievable teenager. She's drawn very well, and provides a great counterpoint to Noah, who has a tendency to jump into situations without looking to see where he'll land.

The moral ambiguity of this novel is something I really liked, especially since these days novels are so clear-cut about which side we should be on. Sadie and Noah question themselves frequently, and are quick to point out that they are asked to do exactly the same things as their enemies, so how do they know they're any better? I could also see the point that the other side is trying to make, and although I feel like free will should always win out over hive-mind mentality and cohesion, it does raise a compelling point about the human condition. I would, however, have liked more examination of why Bug Man and his associates believe so vehemently in their cause. And I want to know who Lear is, so so bad!

I loved BZRK! I don't think it's a novel for everyone - people going in for a light, science fiction read will be sorely disappointed, but fans of science fiction who want to experience a near-future world will love this. I have the sequel, BZRK Reloaded, ready to go, and I am now desperate to find some time to read Michael Grant's other series, starting with Gone.

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Jul 24, 2013 |
Normally, I enjoy Michael Grant stories but this one was difficult to finish, so I didn't. ( )
  socango | Apr 2, 2013 |

I stayed up late to finish this and I really wish I hadn't bothered. In fact, I'm very surprised I managed it.

This book was a huge disappointment. This is because I had high expectations of [a:Michael Grant|1599723|Michael Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1216331499p2/1599723.jpg] after reading his imaginative [b:Gone|2536134|Gone (Gone, #1)|Michael Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266904868s/2536134.jpg|2543657] series, full of exciting characters with mutant powers that draws interesting comparisons between the struggling society created by the kids and our own world. Grant's books have never been perfect to me, I have often complained about the lack of a decent female character who could be strong, realistic and not annoy the hell out of me. That's what was so bad about [b:Bzrk|11503582|BZRK|Michael Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1318378370s/11503582.jpg|16439262], because it did have this.

When I was first introduced to Sadie McLure, I was thinking "YEEESSSS!!!" inside my mind because the author had finally delivered a female lead that was intelligent, kickass and not simply the sidekick or girlfriend of the male self-sacrificing hero. She was all these things... but Sadie was also as flat and boring as any character I've read after a few chapters. The book does start well, not just with the introduction of the characters, but with the dramatic plane crash that opens up a bizarre science-fiction mystery which involves secret corporations that are trying to take over the world. Exciting stuff. Well, for a while, that is.

Boredom is my biggest complaint about this book. The sci-fi aspect is well thought-out and conceivable, perhaps this novel just really is too much of a boy book (whatever that really means), I like my sci-fi with something a bit more human to balance it out: easily relatable characters, humour, even romance... [b:Bzrk|11503582|BZRK|Michael Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1318378370s/11503582.jpg|16439262] failed to successfully deliver any of these. Unfortunately, I'll just stick to finishing the [b:Gone|2536134|Gone (Gone, #1)|Michael Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266904868s/2536134.jpg|2543657] series, though I'm not sure how that's going to cope with two more books on the way - sometimes authors just don't know when to quit (I'm looking at you, [a:Richelle Mead|137902|Richelle Mead|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1270374609p2/137902.jpg]).
  emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |
O! Dat is de weg naar waanzin; laat me die mijden.
Shakespeare, Koning Lear
Als waanzin overwint...
De auteur bedankt The Methadones en Shot Baker, twee fantastische bands, voor hun toestemming een aantal van hun songteksten te citeren.

Ik draag dit boek op aan Katherine, Jake en Julia
Op drie stoelen van Noah af zat een meisje tegen haar hand te praten.

Set in the near future, BZRK is the story of a war for control of the human mind.  Charles and Benjamin Armstrong, conjoined twins and owners of the Armstrong Fancy Gifts Corporation, have a goal:  to turn the world into their vision of utopia.  No wars, no conflict, no hunger.  And no free will.  Opposing them is a guerrilla group of teens, code name BZRK, who are fighting to protect the right to be messed up, to be human.  This is no ordinary war, though.  Weapons are deployed on the nano-level. The battleground is the human brain.  And there are no stalemates here:  It’s victory . . . or madness.

BZRK unfolds with hurricane force around core themes of conspiracy and mystery, insanity and changing realities, engagement and empowerment, and the larger impact of personal choice. Which side would you choose?  How far would you go to win?
--Google Books

In the near future, the conjoined Armstrong twins, under the guise of the Armstrong Fancy Gifts Corporation, plot to create their own version of utopia using nanobots, while a guerilla group known as BZRK develops a DNA-based biot that can stop bots, but at risk of the host's brain.… (more)

27 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible