Silly Tilly's Thanksgiving Dinner by Lillian…

Silly Tilly's Thanksgiving Dinner

by Lillian Hoban

341332,181 (3)None

BRCSBooks | Sep 13, 2014 |
Part of the I Can Read beginning reader series, Silly Tilly's Thanksgiving Dinner is one of three Lillian Hoban holiday titles devoted to the adventures of this scatterbrained mole - the other two being Silly Tilly's Valentine and Silly Tilly and the Easter Bunny - and is an example of a particular type, in the world of children's literature: the story of a constantly mistaken heroine/hero, whose misadventures are meant to amuse. In this case, Silly Tilly is constantly forgetting things, sometimes in the middle of a task. Fortunately, her mistake, in sending out recipe cards rather than invitations, results in a happy Thanksgiving meal after all.

Somehow, although I could see what Hoban was doing here, with her tale, I wasn't as amused as I'd expected to be. This sort of things has been done far better, in Peggy Parish's Amelia Bedelia series, for instance, in which an overly literal maid is constantly getting into scrapes; or Jackie French Koller's Mole And Shrew chapter-books, which features a similarly literal mole. Silly Tilly's Thanksgiving Dinner probably would have gotten two stars, in fact, were I not so attached to Hoban's illustrative style (I grew up on her Arthur books, not to mention the Frances stories!), and impressed with the fact that it is a vegetarian-friendly Thanksgiving story. Still, it's a low three stars, and I recommend this primarily to those looking specifically for vegetarian holiday tales. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 20, 2013 |
Silly, fun, light-hearted but with a good message. I liked the ending of the book—even though she was forgetful, her friends helped her out and everything ended up fine.
  Coeta | Jan 19, 2013 |

It's Thanksgiving, and Silly Tilly Mole is planning to make Thanksgiving dinner for all her friends.

But where did she put the invitations? What happened to her recipes? And why is her house so full of frog?

There's a big surprise in store for silly Tilly in this hilarious story with cheery full-color pictures by Lillian Hoban.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:13 -0400)

Forgetful Silly Tilly Mole nearly succeeds in ruining her Thanksgiving dinner, but her animal friends come to the rescue with tasty treats.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,686,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible