The Mighty Thor, Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction

The Mighty Thor, Vol. 1

by Matt Fraction, Olivier Coipel (Illustrator)

Other authors: Khoi Pham (Illustrator)

Series: The Mighty Thor (1-6)

For more than 40 years, Asgard survived all manner of disasters and incursions.

In the past 12 years, Asgard and its gods have died or been destroyed at least twice if not more often.

And what comes of it? Yet another near-mindless slugfest with characters acting as if they've not learned anything from all the stories and experiences that came before.

Just vastly disappointing, all this. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
I've never been quite as fond of Fraction's work as others seem to be, but given his reputation I'm willing to keep trying. The Mighty Thor is okay; there are some fun moments, and it does feature kid!Loki, who is probably the most interesting character in the comic. That whole refresh of Loki's character remains interesting to me because it plays with all sorts of stuff, bringing back the ambiguity of his character from the original legends rather than any straightforward comicbook villain stuff. (Some people don't like that because it seems to be part of the woobification of Loki prompted by Hiddleston fans, but I see it there in the source material.)

Otherwise, the Galactus/Silver Surfer stuff seemed fairly routine -- I knew how it'd go from playing Lego Marvel Superheroes, y'know? It's not like there's any real danger of Galactus being allowed to eat Earth. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |
I loved Thor: The World Eaters, so I was eager to start this new Thro series from Fraction. Since he didn’t want to bog the book down with the baggage of continuity, the story is very much stand alone.

I really don’t like Galactus. I find him a very boring, one dimensional villain. Never-the-less, Fraction manages to make the story engaging because Odin is considered one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe – so what happens when these two butt heads? There was plenty of action, particularly as Thor tests his might against the Silver Surfer, and a good bit of humor. When Loki breaks into Sif’s chambers to steal a lock of her hair, the scene is laugh out loud funny. I also love the way her and Thor’s relationship is portrayed. And who doesn't enjoy seeing Loki get into mischief? And this time he’s doing it to save Thor. The story has some strong emotional beats and moved at a good pace.

Overall, this is a solid start to the post-Siege series that has me eager to continue. Plus, I love the movie tie-in cover on the hardcover release. Recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | May 21, 2014 |

Matt Fractionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coipel, OlivierIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pham, KhoiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

It's a shining, golden, new age for the Thunder God - and Matt Fraction and Olivier Coipel are back to lead the charge! Thor and Sif dive deep into the heart of the fractured World Tree to reclaim an artifact from beyond time and space, an artifact that attracts the attention of the Silver Surfer. And when a herald such as he arrives on Earth, the arrival of his master is certain to follow. Prepare for the return of the World Eater. Prepare for the return of Galactus! Collecting MIGHTY THOR #1-6.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

What is the Worldheart? Plucked by Thor and his companions from the deepest roots of Yggdrasil--the World Tree, split in twain--the cosmic seed is now the most coveted object in Odin's possession. But the Silver Surfer, herald of Galactus, devourer of worlds, recognizes the Worldheart as the one object that could forever sate his master's apocalyptic appetite. Now, the Surfer has come to Asgard to claim a prize Odin will not surrender without a fight--and Thor is caught in the middle. Will he entrust the Worldheart to the Surfer for the betterment of the universe, or choose instead to fight to the death for the glory of Odin?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,589,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible