Toward Yesterday by Paul Jones

Toward Yesterday

by Paul Jones

I feel bad, I received this book in one of the Goodread giveaways and put off reading it for awhile. I wish I hadn't because I really enjoyed the book. I read the Extinction series and was expecting something more like that. I was pleasantly surprised that even though this was nothing like what I thought it would be I was entertained with the story, I had a little problem with the characters each chapter was a different person at the beginning. I knew eventually it would all come together and it did from that point on I really enjoyed it. It was a different type of book from what I usually read and I am glad I took the time to read it. ( )
  SA_Jane | Feb 18, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. The premise was an appealing one – a scientific experiment involving tachyons accidentally causes everybody in the world to jump back to where they were 25 years ago. They’re in their 25-year-younger bodies, but they still retain all of their memories. People who died during those 25 years are alive again. Who hasn’t had the occasional wish to go back in time and relive their life, but only if they could take their current knowledge with them and use it to make different decisions? Of course, it isn’t quite the same if everybody else goes back in time with all their memories in-tact too! I can’t imagine that this is the first time anybody has ever used a similar premise for a novel, but this is the first time I’ve encountered it.

The first half of this book was mostly spent on introducing the characters that would play a major role in the story, and on dealing with the immediate aftermath of the incident. Then about a year passed “off the page”, and the second half of the book focused on the team of scientists who were investigating the incident. I’ll leave it at that, because I don’t want to reveal anything that would spoil the fun of reading the story for oneself and learning about what's happening along with the characters.

I would actually have liked for the book to have been a little longer. I would have liked to read more about what happened during the year that we didn’t see in the book. When the incident first occurred, there was pandemonium. I wanted to read about some of the more mundane, day-to-day reactions and decisions made by the average person after everybody had come to grips with what had happened. I suspect that, for many people, that much extra detail would have made the story feel too slow-paced. But I personally would have liked to spend a little more time exploring how such an event would affect everybody’s lives.

I didn’t even realize at first that I was reading a book from an indie author. I don’t read them often because my experiences with them haven’t been that great. If nothing else, the dialogue almost always sounds stilted and unrealistic which makes it really hard for me to enjoy a book, even if it has a good story. That was not at all the case with this book. The dialogue was believable, the characters were interesting, and I enjoyed the plot. So I was very impressed to see this quality of writing from an indie author. The only reason I started to suspect I was reading an indie book was because I encountered more errors than I typically find in a formally published work. There weren’t a ton of them, and they weren’t major. A missing word here, a missing letter or apostrophe there. I faithfully chose “report content error” on my Kindle and reported each one I found, and I only ended up with a total of fourteen.

So, if anybody is hesitant to try reading this because they’re as skittish as I am about reading indie books, I would encourage you to give it a try. It was a good, solid read. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jan 20, 2014 |
Towards Yesterday is a PA book with a twist – time travel.

Imagine your life now, your relationships, your job, your life. Now, imagine you are suddenly thrown back 25 years, retaining all your knowledge and memories, but you’re 25 years younger. People that have died in the last 25 years are alive again, people born in the last 25 years no longer exist.

James Bastion is writing his memoirs on New Year’s Eve, when he is suddenly thrust 25 years into the past. The world is understandably thrown into chaos….and this is where the science comes into the story. Now, I’ll be honest, the science behind these books isn’t always my thing, and in Towards Yesterday, I confess I skimmed….but it doesn’t detract from the story, and the great characters (the 6 year old scientist is one of my favourites!)

There is a religious element to this book, but it is important to the story, and isn’t too ‘in your face’. There’s also a rather spooky serial killer, a revived priest and a good female protagonist.

It is a shame that the book isn’t a little longer, and didn’t delve more into the way that travelling back in time affected the world, and individual people in it, but this story is more centered on a central group.

Overall I highly recommend this book, it does have the science behind the fiction, and is unique in the Post Apocalyptic genre ( )
  katlb82 | Jan 28, 2012 |

Word count: 74,000

What would you do if you suddenly found yourself twenty-five years in the past? For the nine-billion people of the year 2042 it's no longer a question ... it is a reality.

When a seemingly simple experiment goes disastrously wrong, James Baston finds himself stranded alongside the rest of mankind, twenty-five years in the past. A past where the old are once more young, the dead live and the world has been thrust into chaos.

Contacted by the scientist responsible for the disaster, James is recruited to help avert an even greater catastrophe. Along with a team of scientists, a reincarnated murder victim and a frustrated genius trapped in her six-year old body, James must stop the certain extinction of humanity. But if the deluded leader of the Church of Second Redemption has his way, humanity will disappear into potentiality, and he is willing to do anything to ensure that happens.

A serial killer, a murder victim, a dead priest, and James' lives are all inextricably bound together as they plummet towards an explosive final confrontation, the winner of which will decide the fate of humanity.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible