Railsea by China Mieville

Railsea (original 2012; edition 2012)

by China Mieville

700None13,525 (3.98)75
Member:mongoosenamedt
Title:Railsea
Authors:China Mieville
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Books Read in 2012
Rating:*****

Railsea by China Miéville (Author) (2012)

2012 (9) 2013 (9) adventure (7) ARC (6) dystopia (6) ebook (12) fantasy (94) fiction (65) goodreads (8) Kindle (14) mieville (6) Moby Dick (10) new weird (6) novel (10) read (7) read in 2012 (6) science fiction (88) sf (19) sff (11) signed (14) speculative fiction (15) steampunk (28) to-read (53) trains (14) unread (6) weird (6) wishlist (6) YA (30) young adult (20) young adult fiction (8)

i'm very fond of Mieville. but although i really enjoyed all the detail and characters of the first half, the last half seemed to lose focus and go formula juvenile. like maybe the author lost interest, or got distracted by shinier projects, or maybe some editor suggested they wanted something rather more generic. or he just had to scramble to make his deadline. whichever, too bad. ( )
  macha | Mar 14, 2014 |
I had things to do other than read a book but a lot of it did not happen after i happened upon this book. In a sense it is as mash-up of other books but it is not only that. It invents it's own world, vocabulary and myths. I loved the rollicking adventure of it.
Hint to the reader: take your time with the first chapters for that gives you time to get the feel of the vocabulary and the people. You have to use some grey cells to decode the world as the author builds it. ( )
  newnoz | Mar 3, 2014 |
I really want to like Mieville's style. I do. But after being amused by it for a few pages, by page five I was sick of it. He suffers badly from "Call A Rabbit A Smeerp" syndrome.

I gave up after this sentence, about moles/moldywarpes: "He'd seen pups of bigger species too, miserable in earthtanks, brought back by hunters for Stonefacemas Eve; baby bottletop moldywarpes & moonpanther moldywarpes & wriggly tarfoot moldywarpes."
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
Good, just not great. I just didn't care about the plot all that much. ( )
  akswede | Oct 14, 2013 |
A good novel, but not great. I was far more interested in the captain's quest, and fascinated by the concept of captains who KNOW that the giant animals they chase are symbolic, than Sham's story. I sort of wanted that book in full rather than glimpses of it as part of a different story. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |

Was inspired by

To Indigo.
This is the story of a bloodstained boy.
Our minds we salvage from history's rubbish, & they are machines to make chaos into story.
Angels, unremittingly & absolutely sane, cannot but seem to poor humanity relentlessly & madly murderous.

"On board the moletrain Medes, Sham Yes ap Soorap watches in awe as he witnesses his first moldywarpe hunt: the giant mole bursting from the earth, the harpoonists targeting their prey, the battle resulting in one's death & the other's glory. But no matter how spectacular it is, Sham can't shake the sense that there is more to life than traveling the endless rails of the railsea--even if his captain can think only of the hunt for the ivory-colored mole she's been chasing since it took her arm all those years ago. When they come across a wrecked train, at first it's a welcome distraction. But what Sham finds in the derelict--a kind of treasure map indicating a mythical place untouched by iron rails--leads to considerably more than he'd bargained for. Soon he's hunted on all sides, by pirates, trainsfolk, monsters, & salvage-scrabblers. & it might not be just Sham's life that's about to change. It could be the whole of the railsea. Here is a novel for readers of all ages, a gripping & brilliantly imagined take on Herman Melville's Moby-Dick that confirms China Mieville's status as "the most original & talented voice to appear in several years" (Science Fiction Chronicle)"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible