Railsea by China Mieville

Railsea (original 2012; edition 2012)

by China Mieville

Member:twitham
Title:Railsea
Authors:China Mieville
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, EBooks
Tags:novel, fiction, British, steam punk, fantasy

Railsea by China Miéville (2012)

Moby Dick meets Treasure Island on rails. Beatiful and cunning with a dash of Vonnegut-ish narration. ( )
  pan0ramix | Nov 25, 2014 |
Good science fiction brings unique worlds to life. Great science fiction brings both unique worlds AND unique characters to life. In Railsea, China Mieville proves that he is a master of great science fiction. While it took a few pages for the story to take hold, Railsea made me forget all about Embassytown and harken back to everything I loved about The City & The City. It is not enough for Mieville to create places that are not just unique, but gritty and real. He also has the ability to unveil that world organically.

There is no telling in his storytelling. Everything is pieced together as you read along as a kind of information treasure hunt - and a satisfying hunt it really was. The character of Sham is perfectly portrayed and the characters he is surrounded by have their own wonderful voices. But more than anything, it is the epic world they inhabit that is the main character and I was challenged the whole book to live in that visceral world that Mieville drew me into. I really enjoyed every page of Railsea because it is unlike anything Mieville - or anyone else - has written before. Well worth picking up a copy. ( )
  csayban | Aug 31, 2014 |
Okay, I'm starting to understand that China Mieville is going to be another Neil Gaiman for me, that's to say another wildly popular author who thousands of other decently intelligent readers slaver over while I just scratch my head. I can see his talent, appreciate his politics and his prose (unlike with Gaiman, who's mediocre in both those aspects). And both these authors do have wonderful, original ideas for fantastic stories. But something doesn't grab me. I still haven't found the newer writers who belong in my pantheon with Ursula Le Guin and Phillip Pullman. ( )
  CSRodgers | Jul 29, 2014 |
I think this is another of those books where if I had read it at a different age, I would have loved it.

This is the story of Sham, a boy whose guardians place him as a cabin boy on a roving train. He slowly learns the ins and outs of life aboard the moler train and the railsea (analogous to our whaling ships and oceans, right down to the fantastical creatures lurking in the depths). On one of the wrecked trains they pass, he finds something that seems impossible, and that's what drives the rest of the story. Along the way, he meets up with pirates, explorers, hunters, subterrainers, friends, kidnappers, liars, and thieves.

One part Moby-Dick, one part Huck Finn, and half a jigger of Robert Louis Stevenson, with a pinch of Narnia and set on a dry(?) planet in a galaxy far, far away, Railsea has some major pluses:
--Exquisite and playful language
--Outstanding world-building
--No unrealistic precocious romance
--Strong female characters

In also has one major drawback: I just wasn't racing to read it. It took me more than a week to finish, when it should have taken a few days. I liked Sham, the trainfolk, the setting, etc., I just had trouble getting lost in the story. But I think if I had gotten hold of this one when I was, say, 11 or 12, I would have given it 5 stars.

I will also add that I'll never look at antlion hills the same way ever again. :-) ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
4Q 3P (my VOYA code) I have always been a fan of neoclassics but I have only ever read books that have been based on Austen or Brontë novels. This book came at the recommendation of my partner who loves sci-fi. I very much enjoyed the gender swapped Captain Ahab character as well as all of the world building. Definitely a popular read for those sci-fi lovers and may be a good book to attract readers of classics to the sci-fi genre. ( )
  LoisHaight | Jun 8, 2014 |

Was inspired by

To Indigo.
This is the story of a bloodstained boy.
Our minds we salvage from history's rubbish, & they are machines to make chaos into story.
Angels, unremittingly & absolutely sane, cannot but seem to poor humanity relentlessly & madly murderous.

"On board the moletrain Medes, Sham Yes ap Soorap watches in awe as he witnesses his first moldywarpe hunt: the giant mole bursting from the earth, the harpoonists targeting their prey, the battle resulting in one's death & the other's glory. But no matter how spectacular it is, Sham can't shake the sense that there is more to life than traveling the endless rails of the railsea--even if his captain can think only of the hunt for the ivory-colored mole she's been chasing since it took her arm all those years ago. When they come across a wrecked train, at first it's a welcome distraction. But what Sham finds in the derelict--a kind of treasure map indicating a mythical place untouched by iron rails--leads to considerably more than he'd bargained for. Soon he's hunted on all sides, by pirates, trainsfolk, monsters, & salvage-scrabblers. & it might not be just Sham's life that's about to change. It could be the whole of the railsea. Here is a novel for readers of all ages, a gripping & brilliantly imagined take on Herman Melville's Moby-Dick that confirms China Mieville's status as "the most original & talented voice to appear in several years" (Science Fiction Chronicle)"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

111 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible