The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

The Raft

by S.A. Bodeen

Robie is a 15 year old girl, visiting her aunt in Honolulu- when her aunt leaves for a sudden business trip, Robie is alone and to be checked on daily by a friend of her aunt. This arrangement falls through but her aunt is unaware and Robie is excited to be on her own. She soon decides she's had enough of being by herself, so she hops on a cargo flight back to Midway (her home). She has made this flight many times and the workers know her. On her way back to Midway, the plane plummeted into the ocean and Robie makes it into the emergency raft with the co-pilot, Max.

Robie struggles for days, weeks maybe in the raft and faces many challenges. Sharks, dehydration, loneliness, and so much more. Max injured doesn't seem like he will make it. Robie decides to roll him out of the raft to better her chance of survival in this leaking raft.

She somehow makes it to a tiny deserted island where the situation is not much better.

Young adult readers will relate to this story because Robie is just an average teenager facing not so average circumstances. This book kept me hooked until the end because I was fascinated and attached to the character Robie and wanted her to survive.

jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
It was a quick read, but hard to finish because the main character irritated me so much. I did not like this book. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Narcissistic teenage girl ends up fighting for her own survival in a raft. Good for grades 6 and up. Can be compared to another survival book about a lone character, such as Life of Pi or Hatchet. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
Robie is 15-years old and has grown up on a small island in the Pacific. She is visiting a friend in Hawaii, when she decides on the spur of the moment to head home. She manages (last minute) to get on one of the few flights that goes to her island each month; this flight is for supplies, so it is only her, the pilot and the co-pilot. While over the water, the plane goes down; Robie and Max, the co-pilot, make it into the raft and have to figure out how to survive.

I really liked this. It took a few (short) chapters before I got sucked in, as it was initially background info to set up the story. But once she got on the plane, I was hooked for the rest of the book. It's YA, so it's a very quick read and I finished in a day (really, overall, probably just a few hours). ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 24, 2016 |
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!! This book is awesome for teenagers. This is a story where a girl named Robie who accidentally gets in a plane crash and is stranded on a raft for days.Then she ends up on an island and she fights for her life
  22adamsa | Mar 17, 2016 |
To survive it is often necessary to fight and to fight you have to dirty yourself. --George Orwell--
For Tim, and everyone else who ever took that flight to Midway...
The dude with the lime-green Mohawk and dark wooden plugs in his earlobes looked down at me, the long silver needle in his rubber-gloved hand pointed directly at my face.

Robbie's last-minute flight to the Midway Atoll proves to be a nightmare when the plane goes down in shark-infested waters. Fighting for her life, the co-pilot Max pulls her onto the raft, and that's when the real terror begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,627,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible