The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Survival story. A little less than on track at times but I think girls will love it.
SSYA 2014 ( )
  librarian1204 | May 20, 2014 |
Robie flies to Hawaii to visit her aunt. They begin to have a good time but when her aunt has to leave, things get scary now that Robie is all by herself. One night a man was harassing Robie by yanking on her hair because he thought Robie was someone named Lucy. Therefore Robie was so terrified to stay alone she had to get on a flight to Midway, where she and her parents live, as soon as possible. The next morning she gets on a flight. This was unexpected for the pilot but she knows the pilot so the pilot was kind enough to let Robie on. The flight back to Midway had a lot of turbulence but Robie wasn't worried because she has been on many flights before like this. Soon, the turbulence got worse and one of the engines started to fail. Max, the copilot, got the raft ready for him and Robie. Max soon passed away but Robie continued to pretend that he was alive so that she wouldn't be alone. All she had to eat was a bag of skittles. While she was stranded on the raft an airplane did fly overhead but it didn't see her. Robie finds an island and stays there trying to make a fire and other help signals. She knows that sometimes ships stop by islands to see how they are going so she thought she would be found soon. Fortunately she was right and a ship arrived to take her home. Robie was stranded for twelve days but survived with very little food, salt water, sharks, and no one to talk to except made up people.
I thought this book was very intriguing because I didn't want to put it down, I had to keep reading. It was very interesting. The author included many objects and other things in the story which brought out a feeling that the story was real. I don't think I would read this book again though because everything was so amazing I would be able to guess every part. I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys reading a false story, but something that could happen, about stranded people. ( )
  tanniciaF.B4 | Mar 9, 2014 |
Robie calls Midway Atoll, a tiny rock a long way west of the Hawaiian islands, home. She lives there with her parents, but often travels to Hawaii to visit her aunt. On one trip, however, Robie decides to head home quickly after visiting her aunt and hops on board a cargo supply flight. What she doesn't realize is she never made it on the flight's manifest, and when the plane crashes no one knows where she's at. Only Robie and a co-pilot, Max, make it off the plane and onto a tiny inflatable raft. S. A. Bodeen's fast-paced survival thriller is tough to put down, even as Robie struggles with her own sanity as food and water are nowhere to be found. A good read for middle and high schoolers. ( )
  TigerLMS | Jan 27, 2014 |
Survival story in the ocean after a plane crash
  butterkidsmom | Jan 18, 2014 |
Featured at An Abundance of Books

All of our middle school students work on a genre project throughout the year and "Man vs. Nature" is one of the genres that each grade level has to read. It's pretty hard finding some type of realistic survival book that meets the project requirements, appeals to our kids, and isn't so long that the book takes over their life. (And doesn't have zombies). When I came across The Raft I was excited. Not only was this a great fit for the project so everybody wanted to read it, but students really enjoyed the book, so everybody wanted to read it. It's been one of our top 10 checkouts since September and the only reason I was able to get it was because a student didn't pick up her hold before the winter break.

Robie was a pretty good character. She makes some questionable decisions, and I did want to strangle her when the plane was going to crash, but she recognizes her flaws. She is desperately afraid and realizes she wasn't as grown up as she thought; she wants and needs an adult (preferably a family member, but anyone who knows what to do would be a plus). Max's injury and her freak outs aren't helping, but Robie tries to pull herself together. Yes, she frustrated me, but I found her reactions completely realistic for a terrified out kid (or adult). She clings to Max as that adult beacon of safety even though she's having to do all of the work because he's too weak. Robie's knowledge of what exactly is out there (tiger sharks) and what can happen (they'll eat you) made her situation scarier and made her fear and hesitation more believable and understandable. The pace is fast, Bodeen's writing is great and she explains the marine life and Midway area in a way that flows naturally with the narrative. Tiger sharks, man... I don't know if I'll ever go in the water again.

The flow of action, suspense, and terror of the shark chomping variety will definitely appeal to middle school and YA readers. I thought this story worked very well, it made me twitchy and stressed out, and it read quickly. I finished it in an afternoon and I think the story's pace helps my kids motor through the book. This book is great for its intended audience and I'm giving it 4 stars.

Read full review HERE ( )
  AbundanceofBooks | Jan 7, 2014 |
To survive it is often necessary to fight and to fight you have to dirty yourself. --George Orwell--
For Tim, and everyone else who ever took that flight to Midway...
The dude with the lime-green Mohawk and dark wooden plugs in his earlobes looked down at me, the long silver needle in his rubber-gloved hand pointed directly at my face.

Robbie's last-minute flight to the Midway Atoll proves to be a nightmare when the plane goes down in shark-infested waters. Fighting for her life, the co-pilot Max pulls her onto the raft, and that's when the real terror begins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible