The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

This book is filled with adventure and tension. The main character, Robie lives through the ordeal of the plane crash and then must find a way to survive on a raft in the middle of the ocean with almost no hope of rescue. I felt her pain and terror in that raft. It is well written and had some very surprising twists. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Robie is no stranger to the sea, or to island life, having lived with her biologist parents at the wildlife refuge on Midway Island and visiting her aunt on Honolulu. During the plane trip back home something terrible happens and she finds herself adrift in the vast endless blue of the water. Now she will have to dig deep within herself and find the skill and the strength to survive.

This is a YA novel and is a blazing fast read. It's not bad, but the whole time I was reading I was marking a checklist in my head. Ok, here's where she bails out water, she's sunburned, here's the shark appearance, here's the storm, etc. It's the quintessential on-a-raft-at-sea experience to the letter. For a young person who has not read this kind of thing before or seen it on TV, probably a very nice read. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Feb 3, 2016 |
Thrilling, frightening account of a 15-year-old girl who finds herself adrift in a raft in the ocean after a plane crash. It was quite a rollercoaster ride, as Robie tries to stay alive and stay sane. This was a really quick read, pretty hi-lo, excellent choice for reluctant readers. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
Compelling first-hand account of teenage Robie's survival after plane crash, adrift at sea (on, yes, The Raft), and being stranded alone on a desert island. The author maintains a good pace, knows her setting, and the voice is authentic. The addition of a ghostly 2nd person (co-captain "Max") is a good thing or a bad thing depending on the reader's tolerance for such conventions. The average young teen will most likely eat this tale up... and ask for more. ( )
  mjspear | Nov 22, 2015 |
I thought that this was a pretty interesting book. It is intense, thrilling, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is an interesting perspective into the mind of someone who is encountering a horrific situation. I would recommend this book to my students.

I think that this is a great book for my junior high students. It has a Lexile score of HL680L. The nice part about this book is that it is a high low book. This means that it is written at a lower reading level but is a high interest book. This is great because readers that have difficulty are able to read the book and still enjoy the material. Sometimes it is hard to find books for stuggling readers that they enjoy. I could use this for those readers.
  ERegele | Mar 1, 2015 |
To survive it is often necessary to fight and to fight you have to dirty yourself. --George Orwell--
For Tim, and everyone else who ever took that flight to Midway...
The dude with the lime-green Mohawk and dark wooden plugs in his earlobes looked down at me, the long silver needle in his rubber-gloved hand pointed directly at my face.

Robbie's last-minute flight to the Midway Atoll proves to be a nightmare when the plane goes down in shark-infested waters. Fighting for her life, the co-pilot Max pulls her onto the raft, and that's when the real terror begins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible