Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey

Caliban's War

by James S. A. Corey

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Author), Ty Franck (Author)

Series: The Expanse (2)

English (61)  Italian (1)  All (62)
Good. Good good good good good. Good. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Nov 19, 2017 |
This is definitely another very good book in the Expanse series. Most people will probably consider it as good as the first one. I think it was almost as good as the first one but I will get back to that.

Holden and his friends are back. Unfortunately all the dirtbags that wanted to turn the alien protomolecule into a weapon without much thought about the potential consequences were not cleaned out after the events in the first book. So, it is up to the good guys to save the day…again.

As with the first book in the series this is a quite well written book. The story is good and each of the characters are very well done. So much that you really enjoy reading and following them even though you might not really like the characters themselves. Although having said that, most of the characters that you follow any closer you probably will like most of the time.

Again this book is more of a futuristic thriller than a space opera where we get to follow the various players while they slowly discover and foil the latest devious plot by the bad guys. That is not to say that the book is missing action. It has that as well, both in space and on the ground. After the events in the last book Miller is gone but two other players are introduced and although they, well at least one of them, are rather different from Holden and his team the author(s) manage to make reading about them as enjoyable as the other ones. Also, as with the first book this one arrive at a decent enough conclusion without ending in a real cliff-hanger but at the same time it opens a huge door into the next book at the end which makes you look forward to the next one.

So why did I write that it was almost as good as the first book?

Well as you know if you have read any of my reviews I just hate politics. While the first book managed to keep the politics present but at the same time in the back it is much more in the foreground in this one. It is especially brought to the front by the fact that one of the persons we are following is smack in the middle of the despicable political and treacherous game. Having said that, she was one of the persons that I liked the most. She is a real bitch but a very likable one, and she is on the side of the good guys.

While I am at it I also have to say that I miss Miller as a counterpart to Holden which, when standing on his high moral horses and whining, can be rather tiresome. Actually I think holden is the character, among the good guys, that I like the least.

Bottom line is that this is a very good book though. Now I have to make up my mind if I am going to read something else in between or just dive straight into the next one.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
his is the second novel in Corey’s Expanse series, and it provided me with a much-needed break after the Mozley and Sexton and during the Baume. In Indian slang, a “timepass” piece of entertainment is just that, something that keeps you pleasantly occupied and distracted without taxing your brain too much. I found this installment better than Leviathan’s Wake. The writing and plotting are stronger and the women really come into their own here. Bobbie the ultra-capable Martian Gunnery Sergeant; Avarasala, the loving wife and grandmother and ruthless high-level UN bureaucrat; and Naomi, the ship’s Executive Officer, all play major roles and take no crap from the men they are forced (or choose) to deal with. The novel is long but cinematic and moves along at a brisk pace, and the overarching storyline progresses in interesting ways. ( )
  Sunita_p | Oct 24, 2017 |
Note: This is Book 2 in the series and really should be enjoyed after having read Book 1.

Several months have passed since the events of Leviathan Wakes. Holden and crew are now working for Fred, basically being his enforcers in their sleek Martian ship the Rocinante. In fact, they’ve become rather humdrum about having to deal with space pirates. The ship’s broken coffee maker is a bigger nuisance than space pirates! But then something horrible happens on Ganymede, the bread basket for the Belters and stations. Holden and his crew are drawn into some protomolecule nastiness and they might not survive as a whole.

Book 1 was really good and Book 2 surpasses that. There are so many great points about this book. First, my only complaint from Book 1 has been addressed. We have more female characters and they affect the plot! Yay! Chrisjen Avasarala is a cross between a Spy Master and a top-notch politician. She’s got her reasons for going after the goals she sets and she’s got a harsh mouth. I loved her commentary. Then’s there’s Bobbie, a Mech Warrior with the Mars Military. She’s a very large Polynesian woman, all muscle with a good balance of brains and skills. Naomi didn’t shine as brightly for me in this book, but I didn’t agree with all her choices. That’s OK; I don’t have to agree with all the heroes to enjoy the book.

Amos got some depth on him and there were several great scenes with him. That canned chicken scene still stands out. Amos likes to fight but he also uses his violence as a tool. He’s not just some angry brawler. We still haven’t gotten much on Alex but he did get some good jokes now that there’s another Martian for him to joke around with. Jim Holden is still the central character and I enjoyed they various scenarios he’s put in that make him question his ethics.

So let’s talk about that protomolecule that everyone thought was safely locked up and in Fred’s custody. Well, somehow somewhere someone got their hands on some and started doing experiments with it. Now Ganymede is another goo zone. Prax, a botanist living on Ganymede before the incident, is desperately searching for his daughter. The crew of the Roci get pulled into this affair and Prax temporarily becomes both part of the crew and a paying customer.

There were so many moments in this book where I thought for sure we’re going to lose this character or that one or a planet or a spaceship. Mobile protomolecule monsters! Plenty of political intrigue. One man very determined to make life tough for everyone. The hunt for Prax’s kid, Mei.

The ending held some surprises. It closed out the big events for this book but set us up for the next one. There’s a character that’s back which I didn’t expect. Also, there’s big stuff happening on Venus and it looks like humanity will finally have to do something about it.

The Narration: Jefferson Mays continues to do a really great job with this series. I love his accents for Avasarala (Indian) and Alex (Texan). His female voices sound like ladies. He’s able to keep all the characters distinct and he pulls off the big and nuanced emotions alike. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Aug 31, 2017 |
Entertaining reading. Has a bit of a Jack Chalked feel about it, which is intended as a compliment. ( )
  Whiskey3pa | Aug 30, 2017 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bester and Clarke, who got us here
"Mei?" Mis Carrie said. "Please put your painting work away now. Your mother is here."

We are not alone.

In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun . . .

Caliban's War is a breakneck science fiction adventure following the critically acclaimed Leviathan Wakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:52 -0400)

We are not alone. On Ganymede, breadbasket of the outer planets, a Martian marine watches as her platoon is slaughtered by a monstrous supersoldier. On Earth, a high-level politician struggles to prevent interplanetary war from reigniting. And on Venus, an alien protomolecule has overrun the planet, wreaking massive, mysterious changes and threatening to spread out into the solar system. In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun ...… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,448,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible