Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey

Caliban's War

by James S. A. Corey

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Author), Ty Franck (Author)

Series: The Expanse (2)

English (79)  Italian (1)  All languages (80)
  Zaccer | Jan 2, 2019 |
Wonderful read, even better than the first book.

Contrary to the unspoken "law of trilogies", Caliban's War does not suffer from the dreaded "sagging middle" syndrome. Instead it turns the tension up several notches, showing how the protomolecule threat from book one has evolved into a different and more dangerous direction.

This time around the p.o.v. does not just alternate between two characters as it was withLeviathan Wakes with Holden and Miller: Holden is still one of the lenses through which the story is told, but he's flanked by several other characters that add depth to the narration thanks to the wide variety of their psychological make-up and drives.

If I wanted to find fault with Caliban's War it would be for the way it ends abruptly with something close to a massive cliffhanger, one that had me staring at the reader's screen mouthing "what??" over and over. And wondering how will I survive until the next and final installment.... ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
This book's events correspond to the second half of the television show's second season and the first half of the third. At the time I read it, I was one episode into season three, so the first half of the book was a new take on familiar events, while the second was all new to me. As always, I'm fascinated by the process of adaptation: in the show, Prax makes it off Ganymede before he runs into Holden and company, who take him back, while in the book he never leaves. In the show, Bobbie Draper has to make a daring escape from the Martian embassy on Earth to see what the planet is like; in the book, she just walks out the front door. Also I'm sort of fascinated by the number of ethnic characters in the book who become white guys in the tv show... yet maintain their ethnic names.

Anyway, I enjoyed this. Chrisjen Avasarala is a delight on screen as played by Shohreh Aghdashloo, the takes-no-crap grandmotherly Deputy Undersecretary for Executive Administration. On the show, she's there all along, but in the books, she turns up for the first time here, broadening the books' array of point-of-view characters. She's just as much a delight on the page as on the screen, taking no crap and getting all the best lines. The first book had two POV characters, and the shit hit the fan when they met; this one has four, but pulls a similar trick. At first they join into two groups, and then those groups unite as well. It's interesting to see Chrisjen's perspective on Holden and company and vice versa, and I look forward to seeing this play out on screen; I think I must be just one or two episodes away from it.

The plot is pretty standard action-adventure stuff, I think, but it has the occasional dark twist as well as the occasional optimistic one; both liven things up. If you want space opera, The Expanse gives it to you in a way that feels familiar, but also very rooted. I like these characters (Amos and Alex are particularly fun, though I suspect that's partially because I import the tv performances to the page), I like the universe they inhabit, and I like the deepening mystery. I look forward to finishing season three and to reading book three.
  Stevil2001 | Nov 30, 2018 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bester and Clarke, who got us here
"Mei?" Mis Carrie said. "Please put your painting work away now. Your mother is here."

We are not alone.

In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun . . .

Caliban's War is a breakneck science fiction adventure following the critically acclaimed Leviathan Wakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:52 -0400)

We are not alone. On Ganymede, breadbasket of the outer planets, a Martian marine watches as her platoon is slaughtered by a monstrous supersoldier. On Earth, a high-level politician struggles to prevent interplanetary war from reigniting. And on Venus, an alien protomolecule has overrun the planet, wreaking massive, mysterious changes and threatening to spread out into the solar system. In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun ...… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,349,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible