The Pleasures of Men by Kate Williams

The Pleasures of Men (2012)

by Kate Williams

An odd but strangely fascinating story about a young woman's desire to be free of her past and her fears about herself. Excellent read! ( )
  TiffanyHow | Oct 3, 2017 |
A cleverly crafted, darkly twisted novel that examines the psyche of Catherine, our troubled, unstable narrator. The story follows Catherine's increasing obsession with a string of brutal murders committed by the nicknamed "The Man of Crows". Throughout, she creates stories in order to better understand The Man of Crows and to unravel the mystery as to why the murders are occurring.

But, Catherine is, of course, an unreliable narrator ... ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
This was one of the strangest books I have ever read. I liked the premise and plot of the story, but it was so hard to follow. There were so many times I couldn't distinguish if the story was being told from the actual killer's point of view, or the main character's thoughts on the killer's point of view. Because of this, it made it very difficult for me to follow when the POV switched back to the main character herself. If this, plus thoughts and memories of Catherine's, had been presented in a slightly clearer manner, I would have enjoyed reading this story so much more. ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
The Pleasures of Men by Kate Williams - ok I think

Not sure what to make of this book. Certainly, I didn't like it. It was well written and should have been right up my street, but I just didn't take to its claustraphobic, paranoid atmosphere. I guess it didn't help that, partway through, I realised who the author was (one of the rent-a-mouths about royal things that the BBC uses) and I don't care for her.

We are focused on a young woman,living with her uncle, in Cheapside during the early Victorian period. There is a serial killer on the loose, 'The Man of Crows' who is killing and disfiguring young women. Catherine is obsessed by these crimes. She has a haunted past and believes that she is the focus of evil.

The book follows this belief... or is is paranoia... to its conclusion.

I don't know, I just felt it was all very nasty and spiteful and wanting to be a horror book. Oh, got it! A penny dreadful! That's how it felt and that really isn't my thing. For someone who likes this kind of book, I would recommend it, it was quite well written and a reasonable read. I just didn't care if we found out what had happened to Catherine in her past, whether she lived or died or whether we ever found out who The Man of Crows actually was. Not quite sure why I didn't abandon it. Maybe it was OK after all.

(PS just had to edit this review to change the name from Charlotte to Catherine. I only finished this book yesterday & yet I couldn't remember the lead character's name - says it all really).
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I didn't know this was a mystery/suspense... I am not sure what is was after reading this confusing murder mystery. I was not sure if the chapters were actually happening or if the character was writing about them. I was very confused most of the book and was very happy to have it end.
I liked the time period the book is written in, the discription of the streets and the people were spot on, but with flash backs, and manuscript writing and journal writing I didn't know where the heck the story was centered. ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
The sick ... how much more they think of painful things than of pleasant ones.  The ghosts of their troubles haunt their beds. - Florence Nightingale, Notes on Nursing

It's Spitalfields, 1840. Catherine Sorgeiul lives with her Uncle in a rambling house in London's East End. She has few companions and little to occupy the days beyond her own colourful imagination. But then a murderer strikes, ripping open the chests of young girls and stuffing hair into their mouths to resemble a beak, leading the press to christen him The Man of Crows. And as Catherine hungrily devours the news, she finds she can channel the voices of the dead ...and comes to believe she will eventually channel The Man of Crows himself. But the murders continue to panic the city and Catherine gradually realizes she is snared in a deadly trap, where nothing is as it first appears ...and lurking behind the lies Catherine has been told are secrets more deadly and devastating than anything her imagination can conjure.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241951399, 0241954541

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,737,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible