Showcase 500 Rings: New Directions in Art…

Showcase 500 Rings: New Directions in Art Jewelry (500 Series)

by Marthe Le Van

Series: 500 Series

711,138,814NoneNone

This is another book I received from Lark Crafts. Thanks, Lark! This particular book is a gem from the Lark 500 series. I love this series, because it is pure eye candy - no patterns, no basics, just fabulous photos of amazing pieces.

As I have mentioned many times, I am not a jeweler, however, I love the opportunity to review shapes and motifs in a different format. I think it can inform my quiltmaking.

As the title advertises there are photos of 500 rings. I should say 'rings' because some of these pieces are more sculpture than wearable ring. I believe that artists in this medium are not making wearable art; they are making sculpture just as quilt artists are not making bed quilts. As I paged through the book, I was immediately struck by different shapes and motifs on the pieces: circles, drops, leaves, shells, confections and many others.

I also noticed the variety of materials. I see felted wool (??), knitted fibers, broderie perse type fabric pieces, a clothespin, along with the normal metals and stones.

The contents page sports a photo of a ring that looks like a series of cross sections of colored pencils, which drew me in right away.

One of my favorites is Links Ring by Uranit Bar-Nes (pg.220). Of course the color (a sea blue) is one of my favorites, but I also like the color's combination with silver and blue zircons. I also like Garden Pond Ring by Aurelio Castano, which is a purely beaded piece with a huge stone in the middle. Another duo was Tangle Rings by Bridget Catchpole. They are my aqua (tending towards turquoise), light green and white pieces where the shapes look like something that would be on top of a cake.

If you need some inspiration, regardless of your primary medium, this book will provide you with some shapes, motifs and textures that will reinvigorate your artwork.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |

"This dynamic gallery book showcases the ring as it is being created and interpreted by leading art jewelers from around the world"--Cover.

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible