World-Mart by Leigh M. Lane

Published By: Cerebral Books
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 4

Review: It has finally happened. The world has succumbed to a climate change and in an effort to keep it from going bankrupt, government and business have been completely combined. Humans are now treated as drones working in one large hive where thinking for ones-self and stepping out of line, are not tolerated.
In this imaginative and interesting novel, Leigh M. Lane weaves a story that is unique and makes you really think about what it may be like if our country came to this abrupt change and life as we know it ended. I definitely enjoyed this novel and would recommend it highly! ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Aug 16, 2012 |
World-Mart depicts a very possible future reality – class segregation, failing energy supplies, food shortages, global warming, anti-biotic resistant viruses and governmental control over every action and choice made in life. Your background, upbringing and ability to follow without questioning dictate whether you thrive or simply survive in the world.

This is a thought-provoking and quite frightening book. I particularly found the idea of euthanasia of the ill and voluntary euthanasia for people who have found themselves, for whatever reason, demoted through the class ranks to be very disturbing and a reflection of the importance we place on bettering or at least maintaining our own statuses in life.

World-Mart also contains some wonderful poetry written by one of the main characters, Shelley, which I found particularly moving.

My only negative with this book was that some scenes played out way too quickly and could have been fleshed-out a little further, particularly to give a little more life to some of the characters. However this does not mean that the characters were flat or one-dimensional, simply that I wished I had gotten a chance to know them better, and particularly to know how the world came to be that of World-Mart. ( )
  katlb82 | Jan 28, 2012 |
I have to say that I really enjoyed the beginning of the book more than the end. Climate change, viruses that have become resistant to antibiotics, class segregation. Do as you are told or face the consequences which is usually death. It was a story that grabbed me from the beginning but lost me at the very end. It was a good read though. ( )
  Draak | Dec 19, 2011 |

George Irwin remembers a time before the Big Climate Change, back when the airlines were still in business and people still drove their own cars. The world has changed much over his lifetime, but he still believes in the American Dream. When an alleged terrorist act lands his wife in the hospital, however, George stumbles upon a Corporate secret that could mean the end of all civilization.

"I strongly suggest that you read this novel that really hits close to home." (5 stars) --Quincy Simpson, from the Kindle Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:57 -0400)

Leigh M. Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible