My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan by Seth…

My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan

by Seth Rudetsky

It's nice that we're finally at the point where a queer character can just have a relationship. However, not my favorite approach to the topic. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
It gives the reader insight on what it is like to be a gay male high school student. Humorous. ( )
  CodeName5012 | Apr 10, 2013 |
I am always on a lookout for a funny, gay fiction. I came across Seth's books and I was intrigued by the often high ratings his books received. So, I grabbed this and Broadway.

It was an amazing read - joyful, funny, ridiculous-but-acceptable ride. It was amazing how plots turned and flowed well. The ending felt like a Disney movie, where everything was turned out well and to an extent, explained. It was done nicely that I did not mind much.

Just that I kept thinking of Trevor, the plumb kid in the Academy Award winning short film - 'Trevor'. Just that Trevor was an innocent gay kid, but Justin was wicked. Wickedly funny. ( )
  starlight70 | Jun 3, 2012 |
My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan is a fun, frothy, frolic that reminded me of some of my favorite “chick-lit” books. Justin finds himself in embarrassing/funny/awkward situations ala Becky Bloomwood and Bridget Jones. You can see that our hero is making bad decisions that will only lead to trouble, but it’s so much fun to see how he’s going to get out of it.

I’ve been a fan of Rudetsky (better known for his Broadway resume) for years. He hosts a couple of my favorite Broadway talk shows on Sirius/XM’s Broadway Channel, writes regular features for Playbill and has been in several Broadway and Off-Broadway productions himself. With that in mind, I knew that Broadway musicals were going to feature in his debut novel and, as a fan, I relished the references, although they might not be for everyone.

This is the first YA romance I’ve read that features a homosexual hero. I loved that it wasn’t preachy or deep. It just was. Justin is funny, sassy and awkward all at the same time and his BFF, Spencer, is a perfect foil to all of his half-baked plans.

In the end My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan wasn’t so much about the differences between people with different sexual preferences, it was a testament to how similar their situations actually are. First crushes and first love are strange territory for any teenager and Rudetsky has shown just how funny it can be too. ( )
  StephsStacks | Feb 11, 2012 |
Justin isn't exactly what the kids at his school would consider cool. He's short and pudgy, loves Broadway shows and plays violin. His friends Spencer and Mary Ann are pretty out there and don't help his cool factor at all, but Justin is determined to make two things happen his sophomore year: Claim the spot as the king of the cool table in the cafeteria, and date Chuck, the hottest guy in school. The problem is, Chuck isn't gay. In fact, he dates Becky, one of Justin's friends from choir, but that won't stop Justin.

When Chuck gets thrown in detention, Justin makes sure he does too, just to spend a little time with the guy. This is when Justin comes up with the perfect plan. Becky's dad hates Chuck, but he loves Justin. So, Justin decides they will pretend that Becky is dating him, and when he and Becky go out on a date, Chuck will meet up with them which will allow Justin the opportunity to spend time with him. He's sure that once Chuck gets to know him he will find him totally irresistible. In his head, the plan seems perfect, but when does everything always go as planned?

My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan is a cute book, but it felt overly familiar. Instead of the shy girl pining over the hot guy, we have an outcast gay kid pining over a hot guy. Don't get me wrong, the story, while not exactly fresh, it written well and with loads of humor. I found myself laughing out loud frequently. Mr. Rudetsky is a talented writer, and I look forward to reading more from him. I like his style and voice, I just wish the story had been a little less cliché. All in all, this is a cute book and I do recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, light-hearted read.

(Review based on an Advanced Reader's Copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley) ( )
  booktwirps | Jan 21, 2012 |

Justin has two goals for sophomore year: to date Chuck, the hottest boy in school, and to become the king of Cool U, the table in the cafeteria where the "in" crowd sits.

Unfortunately, he has the wrong look (short, plump, Brillo-pad curls), he has the wrong interests (Broadway, chorus violin), and he has the wrong friends (Spencer, into Eastern religions, and Mary Ann,  who doesn't shave her armpits). And Chuck? Well, he's not gay; he's dating Becky, a girl in chorus with whom Justin is friendly.

But Justin is determined.

In detention one day (because he saw Chuck get it first), Justin comes up with a perfect plan: to allow Becky to continue dating Chuck, whom Becky's dad hates. They will pretend that Becky is dating Justin, whom Becky's dad loves. And when Becky and Justin go out on a fake date, Chuck will meet up with them for a real date with Becky. Chuck's bound to find Justin irresistable, right? What could go wrong?

Seth Rudetsky's first novel for young adults is endearingly human, and laugh-out-loud funny, and any kid who ever aspired to Cool U will find Justin a welcome ally in the fight for popularity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:20 -0400)

Chubby, Jewish, and gay high school sophomore Justin Goldblatt plans to become popular by the end of the year, but instead of dating the star quarterback he catches the eye of Becky, the quarterback's girlfriend, while his best friend, Spencer, stops speaking to him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible