Exegetical Fallacies, Edition: 2 by D.…

Exegetical Fallacies, Edition: 2 (edition 1996)

by D. Carson

Member:tim.dieppe
Title:Exegetical Fallacies, Edition: 2
Authors:D. Carson
Info:Baker Academic (1996), Edition: 2Rev Ed, Paperback, 128 pages
Tags:Exegesis

Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson

This book is a handy summation of the major types of exegetical fallacies. It provides clear definitions and good illustrations, and is especially adept at distinguishing and relating the various "members" of the various families of related fallacies. Carson is clearly an exegete of uncommon skill, especially in his grasp of the general rules of linguistics and logic.

However. I would have to say that I feel generous giving the book a single star because of one single factor: the tone. I've read a good many scholars who could have used a lesson or two in humility and gentility, but I've never read another book that could match this for arrogance and condescension. In fact, it's so bad, you expect about halfway through that Carson is going to reveal that the book is a parody of exegetical criticism. You keep waiting for the, "Oh, I'm just kidding! I really do respect the authors I'm critiquing and their works are, overall, extremely valuable." That moment never comes.

And the REAL issue is that the information in the book is truly valuable, well-organized, and easy-to-follow. I'd love to use this text in a hermeneutics class, but since I'm trying to teach students to be lovers of the Word of God and not to be pompous, self-important, condescending jerks, I'll have to look for another text. ( )
  Jared_Runck | Mar 26, 2018 |
Excellent little book that helps the student of the Bible avoid common interpretive pitfalls. Recommended for the preacher/teacher. ( )
  bartbox | Jun 15, 2017 |
Excellent book that should be required reading for those who want to avoid errors in interpreting Scripture. ( )
  Charles.Williams | Oct 10, 2016 |
This little book is wonderful, it breaks down the numerous fallacies on scholarly works from logic to linguistic fallacies ( )
  Theodore.Gebretsadik | Feb 8, 2015 |
It was a good read, but I think there were some fundamental problems with Carson's work. At some points it seemed that he was unable to criticize his own methods that this book. It was also written with a considerable amount of bias that went unchecked. Important read for exegetes but also an interesting example of strong-willed bias in scholarship. ( )
  tehone | Jan 25, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0801020867, Paperback)

Updated explanations of the ''sins'' of interpretation teach sound grammatical, lexical, cultural, theological, and historical Bible study practices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,787,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible