Dotter of Her Father's Eyes by Mary…

Dotter of Her Father's Eyes (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mary Talbot, Bryan Talbot

Member:psutto
Title:Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
Authors:Mary Talbot
Other authors:Bryan Talbot
Info:Jonathan Cape (2012), Hardcover, 96 pages
Tags:12 in 12 bonus

Dotter of her Father's Eyes by Mary M. Talbot (2012)

English (20)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (21)
Originally reviewed on almightylewry.wordpress.com

This is a great mix between storytelling, biography, graphic novel and history lesson. I came across this at work, thought I would give it a try, I'm glad I did. It switches between Mary and Lucia and various poignant points during each of their lives and draws uncanny parallels between then. From reading this, I have learned something new today, I learned about James Joyce and his family struggles in the 1920's and on. I also learned about Mary's upbringing with a Joycean scholar, who was exceptionally hard and most of the time unpredictable towards her.

It shows how both Lucia and Mary's lives turned out and I wonder if there was a point that they could have both turned out exactly the same - except from the whole Nazi thing.

The illustrations were for the most part stark in their portrayal of Mary and Lucia, however with the overall tone of the novel they fit very well together. This is essentially a tale of lost dreams and rebellion in two very different era's, with two very different results.
This has definitely sparked my interest in Joyce, and will look to read some of his works in the future. ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
A nice little book. Nice Bryan talbot art ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
A dark, poignant graphic memoir. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Mary Talbot grew up in a household haunted by James Joyce. Her father was a Joycean scholar and a man who believed in putting his all into this work, unfortunately this led to tensions between her and him. Something like the tensions between Lucia and her parents. Lucia wanted to be a dancer but her parents couldn't see that this was important to her, that this was essential to her life and her mental health, so when she crumbled, rootless and without any true supports from those around her it was the end of her plans to dance, however Mary was luckier, Bryan gave her a support and a background. Later she learned that her father was well regarded by all his students, but she still had issues with him and the twists of their lives.

It's an interesting read. Not completely sure of the links but the footnotes correcting some of the illustrations are quite amusing. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 20, 2015 |
The question I found myself asking was: Why this format? It seemed to set limits on exploring the parallels and differences that the author wanted to illuminate between her own life story and that of Lucia Joyce. To me, the differences outweighed the parallels, but I also respect Mary Talbot's intense identification with Lucia. She perceives a relationship; it exists for her and has affected her life deeply. Mary's father was a Joycean scholar and a pretty typical man of his era (my father was exactly the same, just not Catholic) a textbook [Drama of the Gifted Child] type of father/professor. The mother, ineffective when not collaborating. Joyce supported Lucia's dancing until it began to threaten to be a career and then his sexism surfaced - very typical of that era -. His view of women as creatures of folly, mainly there to have sex with is the least appealing and weakest aspect of [Ulysses], but we can't all exceed our era in all respects. Nora is portrayed as worse than ineffective, actually a malign influence from the get-go. The stumbler for me too, was why Lucia didn't just pack up and leave? She had a career; she was in her twenties. I really cannot understand why she couldn't make the final break. There would have been nothing they could do to stop her. It's strange that she was so passionate about dancing but choked on leaving home. That's the kind of depth that is lacking, a discussion of that kind of thing. Ditto - Mary gets pregnant, marries, has babies but makes it through her PhD - but no depth there either. As we leave their childhoods in fact, the book races to be over and done with too quickly. But, I don't know much about graphic books and it seems to me the limitations of the form would make this inevitable. As an introduction to Lucia Joyce and as story to use to spark discussion in a classroom or even a book group, this book would be an excellent choice. ***1/2 ( )
  sibyx | Feb 7, 2015 |
gender politics is very much the powerful engine that hums beneath the bonnet of the dual narrative – or, more specifically, the opportunities (or lack thereof) offered to young women. ...This is a slim volume in relatively small dimensions, but it's a surprisingly dense narrative. It's a bit like the Tardis: much bigger on the inside.

Both narratives are elegantly done. Talbot has a keen eye for the revealing detail, an important skill if you are working in comics. She makes connections, but never labours them. ... their exquisite and moving book feels like a celebration, for all that there is so much sadness between its covers. It says: we have survived – and we still like each other so much, we have made this.
added by MaryTalbot | editGuardian, Rachel Cooke (Jan 27, 2012)

Mary M. Talbotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

or Lucia
or Lucy Mary
or Mary.
To our granddotters: Tabitha and Madeline
Once upon a time and long ago a king and a queen had a daughter.

Part personal history, part biography, Dotter of Her Father''s Eyes contrasts two coming-of-age narratives: that of Lucia, the daughter of James Joyce, and that of author Mary Talbot, daughter of the eminent Joycean scholar James S. Atherton. Social expectations and gender politics, thwarted ambitions and personal tragedy are played out against two contrasting historical backgrounds, poignantly evoked by the atmospheric visual storytelling of award-winning graphic-novel pioneer Bryan Talbot.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,185,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible