Pride's Run by Cat Kalen

I really enjoyed most of this story. I found a few parts went a bit out of character for our main heroine, but not so badly that I wanted to throw the book away. (I find it hard to believe that someone with excellent tracking abilities and heightened senses would have folks sneaking up on her ... several times.) I did enjoy the book enough that I will continue on with the series. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Pride is a 17-yr-old girl kept enslaved by a drug lord. She’s a werewolf and she’s not alone. Elders, pups and others are enslaved also. Their master is cruel and Pride dreams of the day she can free them all and kill their master, but she’s considered a runt and despairs of being able to do anything. At the full moon she is going to be put in a cage with 19-yr-old Stone and mated. She has six days to try and get out of there. However, before she can really plan her escape her master has a tracking job for her and sends her out to find her mark, a boy a few years older than her named Logan. And her survival begins.

Well-written and spell-binding. I couldn’t wait to see what was next. Pride is a scrappy heroine who believes she is damaged and genetically deficient. She’s had a hard life, but she keeps going. Logan is just the mate for her. Older, better trained, patient, an alpha. Will Logan and Pride be able to outrun the trackers and the Paranormal Task Force (PTF)? Can Pride learn to trust someone other than herself before the full moon? What’s up with Stone? What is her master afraid of?

Great story! Can’t wait to read Book 2, Pride Unleashed.

*The author provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see disclaimer page. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Feb 20, 2013 |
I am pretty reluctant to spend money on self pub stuff, as the quality can be poor and who knows what the writing may be like and I’m pretty picky. However this was on the Kindle Lending library, so I figured for free I would give it a try. It was ok. The main problem with the writing was it was very repetitive. I can’t count how many times she repeated this gorgeous boy is dangerous to me and I can’t show weakness. The wolves were not very well drawn. In wolf shape she often refers to them moving in human terms of touch like running a paw down her back and so on. The world building was weak. The only things I gathered was they could shift at any time, the moon had power over them, and their wolves had a blood thirst more suitable to vampires. None of it is really explained and I never got a sense of how shifters fit into the world. For example why is there are Paranormal Task Force? Does the world in general know about shifters and want them gone? Is it a secret government task force? I might have overlooked all this but then there was the insta love that turned very quickly into a love triangle. In the space of a few days running for their lives they fall in love and sleep together. Then Pride discovers that the boy who she thought was her enemy is actually in love with her and she is torn. That quickly merges into how special she is and they need her help to take down the corrupt system. It was an interesting concept and with editing and fleshing out could have been a very solid novel. If those sorts of things don’t bother you, it’s worth picking up. I on the other hand will not bother with book number 2. ( )
  readr | Dec 5, 2012 |
This was an enjoyable read, it was nice to see a female lead that was strong yet had a soft vulnerability about her. Pride is a fearsome character and thought she sees herself as the runt because of her small stature, she is a force to be reckoned with. In an effort to not let the sacrifice that the elders made for her to escape, she learns her weaknesses and who she truly is on her journey to a place where wolves run free. The characters were developed with enough detail to get a sense of what drives them. The interaction between Pride, Stone and Logan was interesting to watch unfold as Pride is not very trusting, and she learns that things are more than what she thought. With so much at stake, can Pride learn to trust in order to save the lives of those left behind? ( )
  lilcrickit | Mar 5, 2012 |
PRIDE'S RUN, by Cat Kalen, is a journey of self-discovery for a young shifter who is on the run from her evil master. Pride has been caged up since she can remember and kills for her master's pleasure. When one of her tracking missions goes wrong, she jumps at the chance to escape with the boy she was supposed to kill. These two are on the run from their masters and the Paranormal Task Force, both who want to see them punished or dead. Pride goes through many changes and learns to break down her barriers when she gets one look at the life she could lead.

I found this book to be a refreshing take on shifters. In PR Kalen explored the instinctual side of the paranormal species and it worked very well for the book. Initially I thought it would be another "love at first sight" but when dealing with the wolf inside, Pride let those emotions take her over more than her rational side which was unique and fun to read.

I liked exploring Pride's ability to overcome the barriers she put up while she was caged. Although there was a bit too much inner monologue at times, I still enjoyed the journey for her as a whole. I really liked Logan and Stone actually turned into something I never thought I would like. I am still confused on with whom I want her to end up.

I felt this book was more of an introduction to something even bigger and I am excited to read the next book in the series. I think fans of YA paranormal would like this book, it's definitely something new and refreshing in the current book world.
  sithereandread | Feb 9, 2012 |

Seventeen year old Pride is a tracker—a werewolf with a hunger for blood. Taught to trick and to lure, she is the perfect killing machine. Kept leashed in the cellar by a master who is as ruthless as he is powerful, Pride dreams of freedom, of living a normal life, but escape from the compound is near impossible and disobedience comes with a price. When she learns her master intends to breed her she knows she has to run. Pride soon learns if she is to survive in the wild, she must trust in the boy who promises her freedom, the same boy she was sent to hunt. With life and death hanging in the balance the two find themselves on the run from the Paranormal Task Force—officers who shoot first and ask questions later—as well as her master’s handlers. Can Pride flee the man who has held her captive since birth and find sanctuary in the arms of a boy who has captured her heart? Or will her master find her first?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:12 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,053,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible