Iron City by David Scott Milton

Iron City

by David Scott Milton

Iron City made me think. I need to take some time with a review of this one. It was incredibly heartbreaking, I felt a bit threatened at times, and even as long as it was, I found myself unable to stop reading easily. It took a couple of days. ( )
  mreed61 | Aug 10, 2014 |
Devastated by the loss of his daughter, Frank Kalinyak is summoned to his hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to attend his high school reunion. Every step he takes reminds him of his loss. Yet he can't let himself forget about the one thing that truly made him happy: his daughter.

While many are not that concerned with the death of a man he'd once called a friend, there are a select few who feel that there's more to the case than meets the eye. Bobby Mack, the assistant D.A., wants to acquire Frank's services in digging a little deeper into Jack Dahlgren's death. He's convinced that Frank can find what it is that they're not seeing.

Unable to deny his friend's request, Frank stumbles into a world that leaves him wondering what he's gotten into. As another killing rattles the community, he does his best to unravel the clues that have been subtly left behind and begins to wonder whether it's possible for the killer to come after him, as well. Come what may, he intends to set things straight. To shine the light at the end of the tunnel in hopes of redeeming himself and setting all wrongs to right.

David has written such a complex and intriguing story that leaves the reader on the edge of his/her seat as they delve deeper into the book in hopes of finding out what happens next. The myriad of characters that we come across as the story progresses adds and enhances the story as we learn about the circumstances that have led Frank to where he is now. I enjoyed the book very much and actually found myself doing some research on Saint Philomena. Truly recommend reading it. ( )
  LizzieBeth95 | Nov 27, 2011 |

Frank Kalinyak, disgraced ex-cop, returns to Pittsburgh, Pa., "Iron City", his hometown, from Tucson where he has been living a desperate existence since the death of his young daughter. He has been summoned home by Bobby Mack, an Assistant D.A., to find out who murdered an old high school friend. Kalinyak is swept into a whirlpool of bizarre killings, religious fanaticism, church duplicity, hustlers, cops, junkies, old friends gone bad. Amid the fractured landscape of Iron City, rusting mills, rotting industry, he struggles to find sense in his life. Ultimately he must ask: who is he and can he survive?

"David Scott Milton can write like an angel... a writer hell bent on fulfilling the legacy of John Steinbeck, carrying on the tradition of James Jones and exploring his own heights." -- Alabama Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible