Mind Over Matter (ASI, #1) by S. J. Clarke

Mind Over Matter (ASI, #1)

by S.J. Clarke

731,138,814 (3.83)None

Mind Over Matter is a story about a woman named Rebecca McKenney , we find out fast that Rebecca is grieving the loss of her daughter Sabrina who was abducted 3 years ago and is still missing. She knows people in her small town think she should admit defeat and come to the realization that Sabrina is most likely dead, Rebecca knows her daughter is alive.

Having breakfast at a local restaurant one morning she sees a picture on a milk carton of a missing girl seeing this is a catalyst that brings on two very strong and fast visions one after another. First she sees the young girl on the milk carton alive; her second vision is her daughter 3 years older. Here we find out this is not the first time Rebecca has had visions.

This leads her to looking up the agent who worked her case 3 years ago. Finding out he has left FBI she tracks him down to his own firm called Anderson Securities. Agent Dan Cooper feels guilty as he knows he made a very grave mistake early on in his investigation, he understands the helplessness Rebecca feels. He agrees and he does warn Rebecca that he doesn’t believe in her visions he thinks it more or less stress related. This novel is what I would classify as a mystery, suspense, paranormal and romance all wrapped up in one very good book.

I found myself drawn to this story as you want to know more turning each page the suspense, secrets, lies, cover up, the townspeople, her ex-husband who isn’t who he said he is, even her close friend.

This is the first book in the Anderson Securities and it’s the first book written by S.J. Clarke. I will say I cannot wait to see what happens in this series and I definitely will buy book two.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
Fiction; Contemporary Romance/Suspense
3 Stars

Mind Over Matter is a good solid story with likeable characters and a storyline that is delivered in a nice, steady pace.

Rebecca’s daughter, Sabrina, was kidnaped three years before and the story starts with how Rebecca is coping with that loss. Dan Cooper, former lead investigator from the case returns to help Rebecca sort out the facts and they work together to try and solve the mystery of Sabrina’s disappearance. Along the way, they find happiness, love and support in each other.

While a little slow at the beginning, the story picks up once Dan shows up and things start unraveling. One of the things I found frustrating was how at the beginning Rebecca referred to Sabina by several names. I had to go back and re-read that part because I thought the author was talking about two separate people.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I thought it was intriguing and look forward to reading more about these characters in this series. ( )
  showmegirl | Feb 4, 2012 |
I think this book was exactly what I needed today. It was one part mystery, one part romance, and one part supernatural. The supernatural in this book is not nearly as heavy as it is in a lot of the urban fantasy or paranormal romance that I review, but that isn't to say it isn't there. The supernatural in question is psychic abilities.

The book deal with some pretty heavy subject matter, the main character Rebecca is trying to just exist after her daughter was kidnapped nearly three year prior to the beginning of the book. Rebecca does however get visions, and one day while at the neighborhood diner gets a vision about another missing girl. And then almost as suddenly she gets a vision of an aged version of her daughter, Bree. This vision gives her the push to really pick up the search for her daughter and leads her to Dan, the FBI agent who was the lead on Sabrina's case to begin with.

Part of the reason why I like this book is because I like mysteries, and this book reads like a mystery book with all the added flare the supernatural elements bring to it. I really like the characters, Rebecca is a very strong woman who is willing to do anything to find her daughter, but that doesn't mean that having her daughter being kidnapped hasn't taken its tole on her. From the beginning of the book it is clear Rebecca is doing whatever she can to hold on to the idea that her daughter is alive and pushing herself to continue on with her search.

Dan is a great character too. He is really kind and caring towards Rebecca, and you can tell her has an honest desire to find Sabrina and help Rebecca. I also find it refreshing that he didn't just buy into the "Rebecca having visions" but instead of being just a complete skeptic he listens to her and even goes out with her to help her prove her vision one way or the other.

The book is a really good read, and a great mystery to follow along with. Clarke gives you just enough hints to the culprit as it goes along to let the reader form their own ideas about who did it but still leaves the reader hanging enough to make them want to know and understand the whole plot behind it all. I would say that if you are looking for a good mystery this is definitely a book you want to consider. I also think if you are someone who likes romance or urban fantasy this is also a book you would like. I hope you check it out. ( )
  HomeLoveBooks | Dec 10, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,366,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible